Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

i need help painting my evo wing!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2003, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation i need help painting my evo wing!!!!

i just bought an evo wing from plasticpyro and the bridge is already painted. i need help sanding and painting the middle part in. i have a silver lancer. so how should i go about painting this and get a good color match. im planning to sand and paint it my self. maybe stop by at pepboys and buy a couple of can of primer and paint. but i dont know what shade of silver to pick up.does anyone know where i can get the silver shade i have or all silver are the same? and what kind of sand paper to use? and when i do sand it. is there any particular way in doing it? so that ill look smooth. finally. how can i keep the carbon firber black and shiny? the sides are carbon fiber and the bridge is fiberglass.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

naaa...dun do that...pay sumone to do it...its not goin to be as smooth if u do it....
Old Sep 16, 2003, 07:06 AM

someone told me to use real fine wet sand
Old Sep 16, 2003, 07:20 AM
Evolved Member

use wet sand then prime. after dry (thouroghly) wet sand again with even finer paper, prime again then paint with color. (get it in a rattle can from paintscratch.com it will be the EXACT color) clear coat to finish it off..... the key is patients, let coats fully dry before sanding or painting another coat.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 07:26 AM

also the wing i got from plasticpyro was the side cf and the bridge fiberglass. im not sure the cf side would look nice. color doesnt seems to match. so should i paint the carbon fiber also. so the whole wing would look silver.
Old Sep 16, 2003, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

no dont paint over all the cf, i mean, u did pay for the show of the cf and i doubt u solely got the cf spoiler because of its weight, but it your car so do what u want
Old Sep 17, 2003, 04:19 AM
Evolved Member

Search around the web for a couple how-tos on painting. It will come in handy - everyone's got different methods and it can be difficult finding patience. You're going to sand a lot more than you expect. Sand it first (maybe 800grit wet sand), then primer and wet sand that with something finer, maybe 1200grit or more. Next paint that with several coats (5 or 6) and make sure to let it dry very well after each. This is best to do in a ventilated part of your house by the way. I'd say wet sand it once more with some super fine grit (like 2000) and really work at this sanding. It won't be perfect, but it should be close when done. Put on more coats. Use some rubbing compound for a final sanding which should make it shiny and glossy and smooth if you work hard enough at it... Then the most important part...

If you haven't gotten a shine like you want to (I never do, though its theoretically possible with just sanding), get Meguiar's Scratch Remover. Use it. Then follow that up with a polish and wax and you'll be all set.
-N