Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

Lancer OZ with Evo Exterior + 4g63T+RWD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2009, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
An LS1 weighs about 400 lbs although I've seen claims as high as 500 lbs. A 4G63 is about 300 lbs without anything attached (ie. no turbo, intercooler, etc). They're probably closer than you think. The hot swap for Miatas is the LS1 because the weight increase is marginal.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 07:18 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ambystom01
An LS1 weighs about 400 lbs although I've seen claims as high as 500 lbs. A 4G63 is about 300 lbs without anything attached (ie. no turbo, intercooler, etc). They're probably closer than you think. The hot swap for Miatas is the LS1 because the weight increase is marginal.
really.. wow I didn't know they were that close. but bang for your buck would the 4g63 not still be the better option?

The only major issue with the ls1 is the gearbox is freaking massive. I've seen the ls1 in the honda hatch and they had to cut pretty half his interior out and actually had to sit around the transmission lol.

with the supra gearbox I'm using were only having to make the tunnel wider on each side by 2 inches and higher by a 1inch and a half.

For the class I want to race in they require you use the stock center console dash and front door panels, I doubt that would happen with the ls1 tranny and I dont want to be bumped to the unlimited class.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
love it
Old Dec 31, 2009, 12:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by turbotime
really.. wow I didn't know they were that close. but bang for your buck would the 4g63 not still be the better option?

The only major issue with the ls1 is the gearbox is freaking massive. I've seen the ls1 in the honda hatch and they had to cut pretty half his interior out and actually had to sit around the transmission lol.

with the supra gearbox I'm using were only having to make the tunnel wider on each side by 2 inches and higher by a 1inch and a half.

For the class I want to race in they require you use the stock center console dash and front door panels, I doubt that would happen with the ls1 tranny and I dont want to be bumped to the unlimited class.
Depends what you're using the car for and what car you're talking about. If it's a car that easily fits the 4G63 without much if any custom fabrication (like an Eclipse), the 4G63 seems like the better option since it won't cost an arm and a leg to get it installed. If you're already doing a lot of custom work, as you are, I'd begin to consider the LS1. If you can get one for a decent price, you're golden. NA, relatively low weight, tons of torque and lots of room for growth, sounds like a great engine to me. If it fits in a Miata, it could work in a Lancer.
Old Dec 31, 2009, 11:52 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Depends what you're using the car for and what car you're talking about. If it's a car that easily fits the 4G63 without much if any custom fabrication (like an Eclipse), the 4G63 seems like the better option since it won't cost an arm and a leg to get it installed. If you're already doing a lot of custom work, as you are, I'd begin to consider the LS1. If you can get one for a decent price, you're golden. NA, relatively low weight, tons of torque and lots of room for growth, sounds like a great engine to me. If it fits in a Miata, it could work in a Lancer.
Interesting.. maybe I'll look into this... I take it your looking into the ls1 swap for your miata?

I thought you had the subi?
Old Dec 31, 2009, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting.. maybe I'll look into this... I take it your looking into the ls1 swap for your miata?

I thought you had the subi?
I won't be swapping the motor in my Miata any time soon, I just think it's a neat idea. If I do any major modifications, I think I'd go with a high compression motor with ITBs.
I have a Subaru and a Miata.
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

nice build. any updates?
Old Jan 17, 2010, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

this thing is goin to be nuts when done i love it........can i ask where you get the replica voltex kit??

also wheres the updates??
Old Jan 18, 2010, 06:30 AM
Account Disabled

Updates are coming soon guys.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 06:44 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kanun
can i ask where you get the replica voltex kit??
+1
Old Jan 18, 2010, 07:04 AM
Account Disabled

got it from a friend who purchased it from the us.
Old Jan 23, 2010, 06:51 PM

pretty sweet project you got going on but why not do the buschur rwd conversion out of curiosity?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 08:10 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by evo_pirate
pretty sweet project you got going on but why not do the buschur rwd conversion out of curiosity?
never herd of it?.. link?
Old Jan 26, 2010, 02:09 PM

never herd of it?.. link?
https://secure.buschurracing.com/cat...p?cPath=21_312

here ya go it lets you bolt up a GM tranny to the 4G63
Old Jan 26, 2010, 03:13 PM
Account Disabled

I've seen that before...I'm not using the car for drag, its a time attack car.. supra gearbox allows me to upgrade to dog gears in a year or two.. I think the gm auto gearbox is more suited for a drag application if I remember..

also

gm gearbox is freakin massive!! quite a bit more work would be involved in making it fit.. the supra box is very light weight and very small so it was the best option in or minds.

Quick Reply: Lancer OZ with Evo Exterior + 4g63T+RWD