Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

Body Kit Question.... + Pictures

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2003, 02:13 PM
.L.
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i forgot which, but some magazine was reviewing "bodykit material". it said something to this effect (DO NOT QUOTE ME ON THIS)

Urethane:
pros- strongest out of all bodykit materials, fitment is almost always guaranteed perfect.

cons- once crashed cannot be fixed, hard to prep and paint, if it dosent fit kit will be hard/impossible to work with. kit will flex under high speeds (therefore paint can crack/spider web), heavy material(for racing).

fiberglass
pros- can be fixed easily, not hard to prep and paint, very easy to work with if it does not fit properly, at high speeds kits will NOT flex, lightweight material(for racing).

cons- most fragile out of the bodykit materials, lightweight material.

i think the article went on to say that japan's top racers/drifters prefer fiberglass because it is not affected by high speeds, and because if it cracks it can be fixed easily. they said something about thats why bomex and the top end companies do most of their dealings with fiberglass.
so thats about it..... remember dont quote me on that, but thats what i read.

Last edited by .L.; Dec 15, 2003 at 02:17 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 02:23 PM
Evolved Member

you can also pick up the kaminari kit at adventon.com i think the kit looks okay, and it would probably be my choice if i had to buy a body kit, unless they made the VII in urethane
Old Dec 15, 2003, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by majestic lancer
urethane is the best.. thats what the stock bumpers are made out of. ever realize why the RMR lips run you 300+ just for a lip? and accolade kits run you 800 for front and rear bumpers AND side skirts? however, prfp is probably alot better than fiberglass. so if you had a choice, go with urethane first, then prfp, then fiberglass. i think the only urethane kit out there is the kaminari.. other than that, your only option is with accolade.. which, by the way, is a really good choice, as well..
The stock bumpers are NOT urethane. Urethane is NOT an OEM
material for several years now ,because it will warp. Remember
some old bumpers that were losing their shape?There are new hybrids like urea etc.Fiberglass is still an OEM material, Corvette
body,trucks etc.Also remember urethane wings that used to warp
between the two legs?Very visible so not even urethane producing companies make wings anymore with this material.If
somebody has a doubt,you can ask for a lifetime warranty against warping from the manufacturers,and let's see if they give it to you in writing.
Old Dec 15, 2003, 05:12 PM
.L.
Evolved Member

^ i didnt think about that. now that you mention it, i think the article stated that too.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

ok, now that the pros and cons of urethane and fiberglass have been established...whats the deal with the polyfiber reinforced plastics.....?

Are they more plastic, more fiberglass, or a 50/50 split?
Anyone know the pros and cons of these or even a reliable place to get them from?
Old Feb 25, 2004, 03:10 PM

so Kaminari is urethane and urethane warps? that doesnt sound too good : how long does urethane take to warp?