Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

Body Kit Question.... + Pictures

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2003, 10:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body Kit Question.... + Pictures

Ok I am looking to buy a Body Kit ( posted before.. I know )...

But this is my last question, whats the best quality material to go with? I see accolade sells PFRP *POLYFIBRE REINFORCED PLASTICS* kits. Others are URATHANE, etc..

which would be best quality and look best and blend best with the car.. My issue here is quality not price....
Old Dec 13, 2003, 10:35 PM
Evolving Member

when you say blend with that car that is all mold and paint work. as for reliability, theres no perfect material. pfrp is one of the best however.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

urethane is the best.. thats what the stock bumpers are made out of. ever realize why the RMR lips run you 300+ just for a lip? and accolade kits run you 800 for front and rear bumpers AND side skirts? however, prfp is probably alot better than fiberglass. so if you had a choice, go with urethane first, then prfp, then fiberglass. i think the only urethane kit out there is the kaminari.. other than that, your only option is with accolade.. which, by the way, is a really good choice, as well..
Old Dec 13, 2003, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

What about carbon fiber? Is it good?
Old Dec 13, 2003, 11:06 PM
Evolving Member

Urethane most definitely. I have run up on the curb so many times it isnt funny but my rmr lip still looks great. If it was fiberglass I would be in some trouble. havent heard anything about the PFRP so I cant give you an honest opinion. I do know accolade warranties their kits and heard that they are great at customer satisfaction.

Carbon fiber is just flashy fiberglass. It will still crack if you hit something and its EXPENSIVE. When it comes to hoods and spoilers CF is great.

Last edited by rbbcustom; Dec 13, 2003 at 11:11 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

Ok thanks, who produces the Kaminari kit, and how much?
Old Dec 13, 2003, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

Nevermind, RMR Does ;P .....

Ok I checked out there site, so, in other words, for the best quality and material I should by the Kaminari kit from RMR then?

One more question, if I wanted the kit, where can I buy it from doesn't seem like they sell direct from their site, yet they have pricing on their site.....

Last edited by kromix; Dec 13, 2003 at 11:54 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 11:27 AM

krom---- kaminari is ugly.... and more expensive for the Urethane... honestly in all reality.... the pfrp might not be as good but's tremendously better than the fiberglass crap out there. With pfrp you have many more options (www.body-kit.com). I personally recommend any of the apex kits, the Ken or the Evo 7. You will just have to drive carefully.... honestly if you rear end somebody.... it doesnt matter what kind of material your front bumper is---- its still going to get wrecked. Same as if you get rear ended. The main thing you have to control is like when you are parking.... just make sure you dont park all the way up in a parking spot like you can with your stock bumpers, or else you might hit the front bumper because its lower. I have talked to many body shop experts... the main problem with fiberglass is that it is crappy for painting and chips and flakes easily. With pfrp you will almost be exactly like the stock bumpers... they are very flexible, very easy to install (accolade has worked out all the fitment "kinks")... and best of all body shops have an easy time painting them and giving you a warranty on them, but they wont do that for fiberglass. The choice is obvious. Someone said they have hit their rmr lip a bunch of times. If that is true and if it is still fine then they must have just scraped the bottom, which pfrp can handle is well.

~~blessing you with common sense
Old Dec 14, 2003, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

Kaminari make the kaminari kit..... they have a website, i believe its www.kaminari.com --theyre a more trusted brand in terms of quality.. Accolade makes a lot of kits for the lancer though. if you wanted a variety, go with accolade. a lot of people have the kaminari kit (it is nice), but it just depends really on your flavor
Old Dec 14, 2003, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

Actually I personally think I like the Kaminari Kit look more...

And like you said..

"With pfrp you will almost be exactly like the stock bumpers... "

Almost exactly just isn't good enough, I rather go with exactly like, with the Urethane Kaminari kit.....
Old Dec 14, 2003, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

instead of getting a kaminari kit why not just get an rmr lip? i just bought their type 1 lip (i started a group buy and got it for $180). I personally like the lip kit more than a body kit, and if you are going to get a body kit the kaminari is very similar to the lancer's stock look and body lines, so what's the point of spending all that money? I bought the OZ skirts from someone on the site (still trying to sell the front lip), and just received my rmr lip int he mail. good luck with whatever you do, just take into consideration that you can easily scratch and break any kit if your not careful so just go with what you think looks best.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'd rather take a **** all over my car and let it bake in hot sun so it gets all hard then carve out my own body kit than get the ugly kaminari kit.....but if you liek it then get it.
Old Dec 14, 2003, 02:37 PM

Urethane is the best.. OEM bumpers are usually made out of ABS plastic though. I had a wings west urethane bumper for my vw and it survived alot. Urethane is virtually indestrictable, the only way you can hurt it is to pierce it with something, otherwise it just bounces back to shape. The paint will spider web and crack but the bumper will be unskathed in the event that you hit something. Urethane does cost more but personally I would rather spend the extra bucks now then have to replace the bumper and end up spending alot more money later. But thats just my $0.02
Old Dec 14, 2003, 04:56 PM

hmmm... "indestrictable" huhh? wow...... I disagree with that post.... the bumper will not be "unskathed" if you hit something... unless you are going slow, very slow... in which case pfrp will be the same way IMO.... and I am going to have to agree with ZLANCER and his words
Old Dec 14, 2003, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

my body kti is made from fiberglass... a couple of days ago i hit the curb (parking) with my front bumper... i was about to sht in my pants when i heard it happen.. so i checked and nothing was wrong.. not even the paint.. if ur a careful driver fiberglass will be fine. and its been snowing off and on during the past two weeks here.. nothing ever happened to my kit except for how dirty it looks

Quick Reply: Body Kit Question.... + Pictures