Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

Angel Eyes on my Lancer!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2004, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
basically any mod someone does to a japanese car nowadays is consider "rice"....ugh..will it ever end! heheh....
Old Jan 14, 2004, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
never my friend..

never
Old Jan 14, 2004, 08:23 PM

DAMMIT...I HATE NEW YORK!!!....But I love it. lol I ordered Fogs and Mesh for my car...and I was planning on doing the Angel Eyes all today....especially since my fog lights and my mesh grill was delivered to me today...but NOOOO, of course it has to F#@king SNOW!!!!!.......RRRrrRRRRrrrr.....

Jay Star*
Old Jan 14, 2004, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Sometimes Rice looks f&cking COOL!!!! Such as Angel Eyes.. Under car Neons ect.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

didnt angel eyes originate from bmw's, a euro car, thus not asian, thus not a rice mod? so are the angel eyes on beamers rice? just my line of thinking
Old Jan 15, 2004, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

yes angel eyes r nice.. always grabs my attention
Old Jan 17, 2004, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

what happen to pic??
Old Jan 17, 2004, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just curious... how in the hell are angels eyes considered rice and if they are like the person said above where does it end and who is "qualified" to say either way. what happens is people get jealous, offended, mad because they couldnt come up with an idea of their own, or some dumb **** like that so the first thing that comes to their mind is " hey, lets call it rice" if its ****ed its just that.......****ed. but ugh yea those angel eyes did originate from frickin bmw.
Old Jan 17, 2004, 08:40 PM

Originally posted by joseph k
just curious... how in the hell are angels eyes considered rice and if they are like the person said above where does it end and who is "qualified" to say either way. what happens is people get jealous, offended, mad because they couldnt come up with an idea of their own, or some dumb **** like that so the first thing that comes to their mind is " hey, lets call it rice" if its ****ed its just that.......****ed. but ugh yea those angel eyes did originate from frickin bmw.
I'll tell you how I define rice. It is something to make the car look fast or sporty which doesn't actually make it faster. It can also be a modification that tries to make a car look like a more expensive car, such as adding IS300-style clear taillight lenses.

Let me give you some examples of rice: 17" or larger wheels on a Civic, a big huge wing, lowering the car without putting good shocks on it, a body kit, a big tachometer, a fire extinguisher if you don't race (particularly if the fire extinguisher is put up high so everyone can see it), any kind of neon, a loud exhaust on a slow car, a coffee-can tip exhaust, painting the car a garish color (like yellow or a paint with big metallic flecks), stickers that say "powered by Honda" (it's a Civic, so no ****!), stickers that advertise for an aftermarket manufacturer, Chinese or Kanji character stickers, turn signals that blink fast (as if the one in front was broken), "Type-R" "Si" "turbo" "M" or other sport model badges on a regular-model car, any added sticker or badge (particularly one which says "racing" or which repeats the name of manufacturer of the car), racing stripes, bright-colored or double windshield wipers, extra lights (rally immitation), scoops or NACA ducts which are non-functional, drilled brake rotors, and especially immitation drilled brake rotors to cover up drums.

Here is how a Rice-Boy is defined by www.riceboypage.com:

Who/What Exactly Is a Rice-Boy?
Rice-Boy is a stereotype. The typical Rice-Boy can be identified by his car, or rather what he does to it. Generally, Rice-Boy will start out with a car that was not meant to go fast (typically a Honda Civic), and attempt to "fix it up," usually consisting of aftermarket rims, lowering springs and an aftermarket exhaust system with a large exhaust tip.

Most Rice-Boy cars (or "Rice Rockets") have the usual complement of stickers proudly displaying features that the car might or might not have, most notably, the Honda VTEC sticker from the later model Preludes, and the plaques from the later model Integras.

Rice-Boys do not exclusively drive Japanese cars. There are quite a few fake Mustang '5.0's and Camaro Z28's out there, as well as quite a few strange looking Neons.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Under the Hood of Rice-Boy's Car
Of course, most of the modifications done by Rice-Boy do not actually increase the performance of his car by any significant amount, but rather, try to give the appearance of high-performance. What most Rice-Boys seem to not know is that many of the things they do to their cars to make them faster actually hurt the performance.

The Generic Rice-Boy Civic
For example -- I have seen many a Civic with aftermarket rims with the wrong wheel offset, or just plain lowered incorrectly. Sure, the car looks nice, except for the tendancy for the wheels to slant inward, preventing the tire's full contact patch from touching the ground, which results in poorer traction, leading to slower acceleration and poor cornering. This of course defeats the purpose of lowering one's car (to acheive better cornering).

Now, a slight amount of negative camber can aid in cornering, however, the slant I am describing can be 4 degrees or even more, which is an excessive amount, far more than could ever be useful on the street, especially on stock-sized wheels.

Another interesting point about lowering cars: it really needs to be done properly. I ran into a Rice-Boy who drives a White Civic EX Coupe (like how many of these are out there??), who, after replacing his aftermarket "performance" lowring-springs with his stock springs again (he was taking his car into the dealer and didn't want them to know he messed with the car), exclaimed, "Hey you know, my car handles BETTER with the stock springs!". I'm not surprised. I'm sure some Honda engineer spent days working on those springs... why mess with them?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Appearance vs. Performance
What sets apart Rice-Boys from normal performance enthusiasts is that they are more concerned with the image of speed than they are about actual performace. Few Rice Rockets add the one option that can make a Civic begin to go fast -- a turbochager.

Take for example, the above pictured Civic. It looks pretty mean and fast with its rims and super-spoiler (another staple of Rice-Boy technology), but closer inspection will reveal that this is a Civic DX. The mirrors and liscence plate frames are FLAT BLACK, whereas LX and EX models are painted and would be shiny. A noble attempt at fooling people (as black plastic would stand out more on a red or white car as opposed to a black car), but the outside appearance doesn't change what is under the hood -- a Civic DX economy car engine.

It's not so much that Rice-Boy is trying to make his car look good. There are lots of people out there who just want to make their car look good, and don't care about speed at all. Rice-Boy, however, says that he is making his modifications to enhance his car's performance, when really, all he cares about is fitting some sort of image. For example, he may lower his car, saying that it is for a lower center of gravity, and thus, better handling, but if he doesn't do a good job of it (i.e., his car is bouncing around from his shocks being able to handle the higher spring rates... or he cuts his springs making his car uneven) then we know that really, he cares more about looking low then he does about better cornering.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 12:45 AM

First off Jaystar, sorry for going way off topic.

I don't mean to get into a fight with anyone, just want to state my opinion.

"It is something to make the car look fast or sporty which doesn't actually make it faster. It can also be a modification that tries to make a car look like a more expensive car" - Nyc_Ryc

So does this mean anyone that tints there windows is "rice"? I personally don't know anyone that is completely happy with a stock car off the lot. Not dissing stock, but most everyone would like bigger or nicer looking rims if they could afford it, and to be rice, but because it looks better! How can you say changing your rims, tinting your windows, and changing light bulbs is rice? In my opinion, these are more or less essentials. Not just to me either, to the manufacturers as well. Every year you see new cars coming with stock HID's, tinted windows, and even 19' to 20' rims.

Last edited by Lancer31; Jan 18, 2004 at 12:51 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 12:46 AM
Evolving Member

i like rice... i eat it with almost anything
Old Jan 18, 2004, 01:00 AM
Evolved Member

just gotta make sure you wash it before you cook it!
usually takes longer than cooking noodles/soba, that's why I don't cook rice most of the time...
doesn't mean I don't like eatting rice tho! Rice is gooooood! I prefer steamed to fried.
B/C they usually put too much oil and salt in it...
and if I were to cook myself, fried rice just takes too much time and it usually makes my arm sore 'cuz I have to constantly flipping the rice so they won't stick together or stick on the pan.

oh ok not that... ... ... ... ... ... you ppl go on~
BTW, ya where's the pic?
Old Jan 18, 2004, 01:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by drummerjun
just gotta make sure you wash it before you cook it!
there's new ones where u dont have to wash it, u just take it out of the bag, put it in the pot, put water in it, and set the time or just press start and wait for it to cook! this isnt a joke, check your local Japanese super market..

Btw, that guy has his own opinions about "rice" so dont get too worked up. I think angel eyes are a tasteful mod and not something like putting a big wing on your car. That's his opinion, this is mine, who gives a ****, right?
Old Jan 18, 2004, 03:03 AM
Evolved Member

I still feel safer to wash it...the traditional way!
Used to help my grandpa in the farms, man there are some nasty worms/bugs there...

which reminds me...we used to take those dead earthworms and madee them into circles (don't ask how), bundled them together and then scared the girls with them... (just something I can think of...regarding angel eyes...or not...)

Last edited by drummerjun; Jan 18, 2004 at 03:09 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 11:41 AM

Unless your car is stock or a sleeper.
you are stamped RICE according to NyC
Only thing that should be called rice around here is the food. end of it.

Quick Reply: Angel Eyes on my Lancer!!!