Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

concerns about undercar scraping

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2004, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
concerns about undercar scraping

so i was going by regular speed, about 60km/h on the road.

some moron left a wide piece of plastic , it looked like black plastic maybe about 15 cm high, it was about a meter by meter wide, shaped kinda like a demented bowl. and i ran over it i heard like a clankish/scratch noise, it hit the bottom of my car, and my car is like 15 cm from ground (dropped), under the car. the piece of plastic looks like, u know in the wheel well, under the fender, there is a plastic wall between the tire and the fender? it looked like that but flattened on the ground, big enough to fit an 18 wheeler.

and i'm worried if that piece of plastic could have done any damage to my car on the bottom. the bottom of the car is all metal right? aside from the front bumper under where the flaps are rubberish plastic, everything is metal right? my ****in exhaust axleback pipe has a long scratch on it, like the ceramic paint chipped off it in a long line. and the bottom right of my front bumper has a gash with paint chipped, but it doesn't look like it did much damage, whereas if the damage on the bumper was worse, i can expect much worse under the car.

i'm worried and this ****in bothers me man. i hope the end of the plastic didn't slash my tires from the inside sides, or scratched my rims.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

they only way to find out is to get down and dirty and take a look
Old Apr 6, 2004, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

I highly doubt a piece of plastic would damage anything critical on the underside of you car. Jack it up and have a look if you are truely concerned. I would'nt worry about it much.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, if it was part of a semi tire... then you might worry. But you should be ok. Jack it up and get under there with a flashlight and check it out. You should be ok... especially your rims.

-=RoscoES=-
Old Apr 7, 2004, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

it bothered the hell outta me, so i checked. couldn't see any visible signs of damage.

the only damage i've seen, which is minute, was the long *** scratch on my poor Greddy axleback pipe, about a feet long. the shiny golden/bronze ceramic painted chipped off.... like a feet long, rust is now inevitable....
Old Apr 7, 2004, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

sorry to here that...there was one morning there was a small cone in the road and i had no choice but to go over it, it stuck under there for a minute or two and fell off...i was freaking out but it is fine...the only thing you might have to worry about is maybe breaking a line....i had my power steering line cut one time from going over a parking curb thingy in your spot, don't ask didnt feel like backing up
Old Apr 7, 2004, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

I'll bet you're alright. I had a much worse under car scrape. I was going about 70 down the highway, saw some police lights ahead which distracted me from why they were there. They were pulled over with a minivan that just hit a deer and by the time I realized this and saw the deer in the road, it was too late for my to swerve and avoid it.

I straddled it, and aside from getting fur and other such crud under the car, nothing was damaged. The rear bumper cover probably lost a solid connection somewhere because it shakes at high speed slightly, but hardly noticeably.

Now, my car was only a month or so old at this point, so I was pissed at that cop for not having put out flares or parking his car with lights before the hill and before the deer in the left lane of the highway, especially at night, but in retrospect, I took a few minutes extra to spray the underside of the car the next day and all was well.

Anyway, if I can straddle a dear, I'm sure you can hit a piece of plastic.
-N
Old Apr 7, 2004, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

You guys are lucky. At the end of winter I was on the highway just out of work. A huge block of ice fell from a truck and I had a van or something next to me, couldn't swerve to avoid. Thankfully no major damage just that plastic thing that
deuxforever13 mentioned broke. I have to get it replaced now. I need to find a part number... bah.
Old Apr 8, 2004, 06:26 PM
Evolving Member

wow, that sux man, hitting an already dead deer. but thanks for making me feel alot better. where ur rear bumper is abit loose,
my front one wobbles abit now. so we're even.
Old Apr 18, 2004, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Then there is always the ever present threat of small animals cracking/breaking your lip or body kit... 2 weeks ago a friend of mine and I were in his '01 civic with the nice little Avenger front bumper on and a groundhog ran onto the road and *crack*... ohhhh was he pissed.

Moral of the story: Support hunters so these little fury critters don't break your body kits!!!

-=RoscoES=-