Notices
Lancer Show / Shine Find out where to get the newest body kits and spoilers for your Lancer as well as how to keep your car in tip top shape.

How to: Paint a bodykit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:58 PM
Yol

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about the best location and condition to do the painting? For people that don't have a painting booth or garage and still avoid dust and bugs from getting on the surface.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 01:14 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aznflip2o6
IamKar33m

You forgot to mention something. You didn't tell us the painting application process -hand angle-must be perpendicular?-which/what part to start painting?-how to cover those hidden area like the fog lights location?-
It's very hard to go that deep into the how-to because paintguns vary in application procedure. Also the Fan setting is hard to describe and it's just very hard to explain in words. I assume that if you're gonna attempt this how-to, that you have some good common sense.

Originally Posted by nightrider
dunno if this is off topic but how would i go about putting the pearls in? is it already in the paint or is it a seperate application?
Some pearls are already mixed in with the paint, some are applied in 2 seperate coats (base coat then pearl coat). If it's the 2 seperate coats deally then you should treat the 2 coats as if it were 2 coats of paint.

Originally Posted by Yol
How about the best location and condition to do the painting? For people that don't have a painting booth or garage and still avoid dust and bugs from getting on the surface.
I highly advise against painting outside in an open environment. You should be painting in any closed (but ventilated) location. Also make sure the weather isnt too humid or too cold. Best condition for paint is 75 degree or higher weather with humidity less than 30%.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

do these rules apply for both laquer and enamel paints or would they vary. Also, Im not very knowledgable with paints. My uncle used to paint cars for cadillac and just gave me one of his old spray guns so I could try and teach myself first.

He said laquer paints are easier to deal with as opposed to enamel paints, but that most automotive paints are enamel. Do you know/can you explain how they are different exactly. I would have asked him but by the time we got to that part of the conversation he was pretty drunk and not making much sense.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by timdog4life
do these rules apply for both laquer and enamel paints or would they vary. Also, Im not very knowledgable with paints. My uncle used to paint cars for cadillac and just gave me one of his old spray guns so I could try and teach myself first.

He said laquer paints are easier to deal with as opposed to enamel paints, but that most automotive paints are enamel. Do you know/can you explain how they are different exactly. I would have asked him but by the time we got to that part of the conversation he was pretty drunk and not making much sense.
enamel paints are used in the old days. Now, with the new cars they use acrylic urethane base coat/clear coat method which is expensive than acrylic enamel.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 11:29 PM
Account Disabled

Your uncle is not really correct. Most paint nowadays are single stage urethane based paint. This type of paint is not too good for metallics but is excellent for solid colors.

Most aftermarket paint jobs are basecoat/clearcoat, this sorta paint job gives the paint that "wet look" that everyone desires. This sort of paint job is what I use since it is VERY durable and easy to handle. Only problem is clearcoating is hard to master, it's a skill that must be aquired by PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.

However if you are gonna DIY and you have no experience in painting, i'd recommend you use Lacquer paint. It's very easy to apply and can be buffed to a gorgeous finish. But it isnt exactly as durable as most people would hope it is.

I hope this helps

P.S. is my best friend

Last edited by Iamkar33m; Feb 8, 2005 at 11:33 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 12:14 AM
Account Disabled

one of his old spray guns so I could try and teach myself first.
Good luck painting is fun but It can get frustrating.. its a great hobby.
Old Feb 9, 2005, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for the info and the encouragement, its much appreciated
Old Apr 8, 2005, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

wow kreme, wtg but i wanted to see the pics and all i get is 200 little red X's
Old Apr 8, 2005, 01:09 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Centrylancer
wow kreme, wtg but i wanted to see the pics and all i get is 200 little red X's
Pictures were on my old server which crashed and burned and died a horrible death. I lost all the pictures.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

so go paint your car again and take some new pics...

sounds like the easiest solution to the problem at hand
Old Apr 9, 2005, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

i need my body kit painted...you can help me and we'll take pics!
Old Apr 9, 2005, 05:36 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by blacklancerr
i need my body kit painted...you can help me and we'll take pics!
If u have a place to spray, then sure... why not?
Old Jul 1, 2006, 08:38 AM

sorry for bumping an old, old thread, but i decided to bump instead of create a new one.
Im getting an evo 8 spoiler, but it has the carbon fiber section in it.
would the steps be the same for painting the carbon fiber? do i just have to sand it lightly first?
Old Dec 22, 2006, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by binsento
sorry for bumping an old, old thread, but i decided to bump instead of create a new one.
Im getting an evo 8 spoiler, but it has the carbon fiber section in it.
would the steps be the same for painting the carbon fiber? do i just have to sand it lightly first?
you are painting the cf?!?
Old Dec 22, 2006, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

for some reason i cant see a single picture!

Quick Reply: How to: Paint a bodykit