Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

NEX Full Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2005, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i hav an 04 ES..do i still need the oz upper strut mount? im sure this was asked.. but just tryin to amke sure..before i order em..
Old Jun 27, 2005, 12:49 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yes it will work. Please read the thread in the future as this was just discussed on the previous 2 pages. I know that 04 wasnt mentioned in particular but they use the same strut mounts on the 04 -05's as they do on the 02-03's. It will work.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Looks like Im Nex....t

Alright! they are hERE!!! They came with a some adapters for your break lines, but no show of how to put them, I will probably mount them on the threading shaft, which will probably work best. It is extremely difficult to turn the top damper adjustment nut due to the force from the compressed spring. I cant compress the strutt one bit how it is... for a softer ride, this WILL need to be adjusted. It is going to be one pain in the *** for the final adjustments, wheel on wheel off, wheel on wheel off. Saying I dont know how low the car is going to go the way the setup is now. Of course, test drive, park on level road, measure wheel gap, record, and change... blah... anyhow, this should all be going down weds thurs or friday this week. Just thought I would give some pictures of what these look like, although you have already seen them. Saying they came w/ the adapter for the break lines, I dont understand why yank's have a metal zip right around the line, which could in time rub right through and cause a leak, causing the breaks to fail. The top hole on bottom of the front strut mount is drilled for alignment. There should be no need for alignment bolts w/ this kit. it should be very simple to rock it back and forth at the alignment shop. They are really light weight, the fronts have to way at least 1/2 of the stock setup.

Here are the pics... Updates to come!

Old Jun 27, 2005, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I thought these were only height adjustable, not dampening adjustable.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
I thought these were only height adjustable, not dampening adjustable.
correct me if im wrong, but if they were only height adjustable, the wouldnt have the two adjusting nuts under the spring right?

One would think, by lowering the the two nuts directly below the spring would in lower the compression of the spring, giving a softer ride?

Again, this is my first time tampering w/ coilovers... any constructive critisism is appreciated.

-Andy
Old Jun 27, 2005, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Springs are one thing, by adjusting the height you are inherently going to adjust the springs ability to expand and compress but I don't think you can adjust the strut itself like you can with the Tein Super Streets. That might be why the knob is impossible to turn, its not meant to be.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Springs are one thing, by adjusting the height you are inherently going to adjust the springs ability to expand and compress but I don't think you can adjust the strut itself like you can with the Tein Super Streets. That might be why the knob is impossible to turn, its not meant to be.
hmmm... a little confused here... I dont see anything on the box pertaining to these adjustments... you are correct abou tthe damper, that would be in the strut, which would be adjusted on the top right? The reason I cannot turn the two adjustment nuts below the spring, is because the spring is so compressed... If i was able to turn those, and lower them, wouldnt the ride be softer?

-Andy
Old Jun 27, 2005, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

naw...thats for adjusting the height.. youll need to use the wreches that came with it.. as for the dampening..they do have a set that has adjustable dampening.. i guess..these are like the tein basics.. dont mind the springs regarding dampening..ur aint gona feel muhc anyways.. the dampening is at the strut itself.. if it has em..=)
Old Jun 27, 2005, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Not sure, but if you look at the NEX coilovers, they are very similar to the tein basics, which are only height adjustable, not dampening adjustable. Dampening is different than spring rate/ height, dampening has to do with the strut/shock, and is basically how fast it reacts to changes and how stiff/soft it is. By lowering those nuts I would assume you'd make the ride height higher and by doing so, would also soften it.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I don't think the NEX ones are dampening adjustable, at least not the lancer model.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

uhm..actually..they do have the adjustable dampenning.. its called the nex GT for the lancers..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WD1V
Old Jun 27, 2005, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xtianLANCER04
uhm..actually..they do have the adjustable dampenning.. its called the nex GT for the lancers..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...sPageName=WD1V
I just figured that out... no damper adjustment. okay, you can adjust the spring preload, and the height... the preload will lower the car as well right?... damn.. does anyone have a write up of "how to adjust coil overs" ? It sure would be nice for me as i am now dumbfounded...

how its setup right now is probably fine, but I would like to make the ride a little softer if possible, and by letting some of the load off the spring, i would think would do it?

Has anyone adjusted the spring preload on thier Tein coil overs before? and if so, what was the result?

*clusterf*cked*

-Andy
Old Jun 27, 2005, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Not sure, you might be able to simply adjust one side of the spring, making the spring higher, and then move the entire thing down, that way you sit lower but you have a "tall" spring.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Not sure, you might be able to simply adjust one side of the spring, making the spring higher, and then move the entire thing down, that way you sit lower but you have a "tall" spring.
This is the reason why i ask... i have more than one adjustment for height... if all we did was lenghten the spring for height, why would I have this? I have seen the tein basics, and there is no lower right height adjustment.

Old Jun 27, 2005, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

I'm guessing it allows you to adjust the ride height separate from the spring height. Rather than simply compressing or expanding the springs, which can lead to a poor ride and poor handling, you can move the whole spring "unit" up and down using the two nuts on either side. The lowest nut might allow to move the unit lower and lower depending on what you want, and may act as something of a bumper.

Quick Reply: NEX Full Coilovers?