Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

NEX Full Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2005, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
called em..and they say i have to wait 2 WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!! coz its not instock.. can i get these from someone else with teh same price??!? i eamn 2 WEEKSS!!!!!??!?! thats insane.. they advertise it on their site.. then they dont ahve it.. scuks..
Old Jun 27, 2005, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

you guys should see if someone is willing to do a group buy for Tein Basics. I know the ES guys would need to find the upper plates (check with Pick-a-fro about these) but they're available and have a reputation. Not that these are bad, but you have to wait and no one's ever used them before.....
Old Jun 27, 2005, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Yeah I want to get the basics or the super streets depending on how much money I can spare, and whether I can rationalize the super streets. I think us ES guys need the front upper strut mounts and the upper strut bearings, but thats like 70-100$ so its not a big deal.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 06:45 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

FYI to the guys who just got their coilovers or are going to get them. After you install them you will need 2 things. 1. an alignment (obviously) but 2. A shop that has proper scales so they can balance them for you properly. That way you can ensure you have proper weight distribution. By not doing this the car can still drive like it is unalined even if it is alined properly. It can cause unpredictable driving conditions.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xtianLANCER04
called em..and they say i have to wait 2 WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!! coz its not instock.. can i get these from someone else with teh same price??!? i eamn 2 WEEKSS!!!!!??!?! thats insane.. they advertise it on their site.. then they dont ahve it.. scuks..
they said the same thing to me, but it only took a week :-)

-Andy
Old Jun 28, 2005, 03:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Danno
FYI to the guys who just got their coilovers or are going to get them. After you install them you will need 2 things. 1. an alignment (obviously) but 2. A shop that has proper scales so they can balance them for you properly. That way you can ensure you have proper weight distribution. By not doing this the car can still drive like it is unalined even if it is alined properly. It can cause unpredictable driving conditions.
Define "balnce them properly" do you mean as far as height adjustments, and spring preload adjustments?

Of course you ALWAYS get an alignment after a lower or raise of any vehicle... thats a no brainer... but your balance... what do you mean?

-Andy
Old Jun 28, 2005, 04:10 PM
Evolved Member

^^^aite..ima order this soon..=) wish me luck..
Old Jun 29, 2005, 07:11 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by EarsLikenElf
Define "balnce them properly" do you mean as far as height adjustments, and spring preload adjustments?

Of course you ALWAYS get an alignment after a lower or raise of any vehicle... thats a no brainer... but your balance... what do you mean?

-Andy

Because coilovers have an adjustable height it is hard to have all the heights adjusted properly. Most people just count threads but by putting your car on scales you can ensure you have proper weight distribution. You dont want your vehicle to have more weight distribution on say the front right of the car then the front left. You would also want the percentages of the weight to be adjusted correctly to dispurse the weight between front and rear.

Most people dont bother with this and just make it look good and count threads to make it even. I just think if you are going to go coilovers you might as well reap the benifits from them and have them set up properly so that you are getting the best possible handeling and traction. vs if you have one wheel taking 35% of the front of the cars weight you would not get ideal traction and also get premature tire wear.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 07:17 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I got this from somewhere else. It is a really good way to explain cornor balancing. (link from origional source is at the bottom of the page)

What Is Corner Balancing?
[AV] I will try my best to explain what corner balancing is and what it does to the car. I will tap into my knowledge in setting up karts, as well as basic race principles I have learned through the years. Anybody feel free to add or correct anything on this post.

Imagine a car as a four legged chair. In order for the chair to stand steadily, all four legs should be of equal length and as a consequence applying equal pressure on the floor. If one leg is longer, or shorter than the others, we have a chair that rocks, and is unstable.

By the same analogy, the suspension of the (race) car has to be adjusted so that each corner "applies" the same amount of force on the ground, relative to the diagonally-opposite corner, so that the car does not "rock." Scales are placed underneath each wheel/tire to measure the "weight" of each corner, and a "perfect" corner balance would have the sum of the weights of the right-front and left-rear corners equal the sum of the weights of the left-front and right-rear corners.

For example, we have a 200 lb. car, with the center of gravity positioned exactly at the middle of the car. An ideal situation would be that each corner (tire) would apply 50 lbs. of force.

50--| |--50
| |
|200| (Looking at the car from above)
|lbs|
| |
50--| |--50
Corner balance is perfect at LF + RR = RF + LR = 100 lbs.

By the same token, if the CG is positioned a little towards the rear, as in the case of the NSX, we would have:

40--| |--40
| |
| |
|200|
|lbs|
60--| |--60
Corner balance would still be ideal. The same applies if there was a driver (any good race car alignment shop worth their salt would put a ballast equal to the driver's weight in the driver's seat when corner balancing and aligning the suspension). In this example, say the driver weighs 10 pounds

44--| |--41
| |
|10 |
|200|
|lbs|
64--| |--61
Corner balance is still ideal.

Say, for example, one corner is jacked up so it applies 10 lbs more...(refering back to our "perfect" example)

40--| |--60
| |
|200|
|lbs|
| |
60--| |--40
Corner balance is off, with LF(40) + RR(40) = 80 and RF(60) + LR(60) = 120

It would have the same effect as having a leg on that chair a little too long, so the diagonally opposite corner would also apply more force on the ground, with lesser forces on the other two corners. The car, in effect, will "rock."

A car in this situation will have a very poor handling characteristic, and will handle differently when turned left and right. In contrast, a perfectly corner balanced car will handle the same when turning left and right, and will be maximizing tire contact area on all four corners, thus will have more grip all around.

Obviously, to be able to adjust the corner "weights" requires a suspension that has ride-height adjustability. Coil-over springs are mounted on adjustable (screw-type) perches that go up and down on the shock absorber. This allows you to adjust the ride height, as well as make fine tune adjustments to the "weight" of each corner on the road.

Taken From: http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Performa...nerbalance.htm

Last edited by Danno; Jun 29, 2005 at 07:25 AM.
Old Jun 29, 2005, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kelspar
So did we ever conclude if there were good or bad?
The word is good! I have only put about 30 miles on them so far, installation was QUick, adjustments are still not done ;-) The front needs to come down about 1/2 inch still... It started to get dark, so i couldnt finnish that... so tomorow I will post new pics of the look.

So far I must say, The ride is tolerable, no bounce... stiff, corners like a high end sports car. No clinks, clunks, anything from the suspension at all. I have gone from stock, to progress, to stock, to tein, to stock, to Nex Full SS coil overs. Nothing compares to this setup so far. SO all you guys w/ the drop springs, spend the extra buck on this budget 542.00 set of FULL COIL OVERS!... Hands Down, the BEST upgrade I have done to my car. If you have any other questions, let me know, I will be driving my real test this weekend, as I drive 120 miles round trip sat and sun to work.. I will keep everyone updated. So far I am #2 on this set, but #1 on self install... Its so much easier than drop springs. No compressing, its old **** out, new **** in, in a jiffy! Worth every minute, and every cut on my thumb (i hit the rotor guard w/ the torque wrench on both sides... OUCH.....

Heres some photos... you will see that I do need to bring the front down a little bit to even the gap w/ the back.

-Andy

Old Jun 30, 2005, 02:22 AM
Evolving Member

Looks sweet man! I agree that the front needs dropping, the rear looks fine to me. Now I need to save up some money Once you put them through a torture test, please let us know the results.
Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:21 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Looks good
Old Jun 30, 2005, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

hows the ride? give us an honest review.. u like it?
Old Jul 1, 2005, 01:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xtianLANCER04
hows the ride? give us an honest review.. u like it?
Honestly, its stiffer than lowering springs, the springs are stiffer, its expected, BUT, there is no bounce! Freeway is smooth, and not bouncy at all. Cornering, ****in sweet! I have no complaints.. Took me a whole 10 minutes (per side) give or take to lower the front a half inch on each side. It is so incredibly low right now, it worries me, but I have been on the fwy, I now have about 80 miles on the new suspension, and it ROX! Definately worth it... better than any drop spring setup. I havnt tried any other coilover setups except for some aero speeds on my mirage (dont use coil overs unless you get the COMPLETE SET!)... I am glad i spend the $$ and got something worth it.

-Andy

Pics after front adjustment:
Tell me this **** aint low.

Old Jul 1, 2005, 01:22 AM
Evolving Member

BTW, ill take some distance shots tomorow, and you can really see how low it is... again, its not just how low the car is, its the ride and handling... like i said... Hands Down! the best mod I have done yet. (and none of the other 3 suspensions compair.

Again, I wont have the REAL test untill saturday, as I have to drive to work... this is 120 miles round trip, which i have to do Sunday as well... I will keep everyone informed.

-Andy

Last edited by EarsLikenElf; Jul 1, 2005 at 01:24 AM.

Quick Reply: NEX Full Coilovers?