Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

NEX Full Coilovers?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2005, 05:07 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am hoping that they will be here by next wednesday, thursday at the latest.

Fox, I didn't know of anything going on in Shenandoah.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kurt
I am hoping that they will be here by next wednesday, thursday at the latest.

Fox, I didn't know of anything going on in Shenandoah.
Huge DCevoclub meet and ride planned for the 27th... there will be a good turnout. I don't want to be the only Lancer there. I think N1te plans on attending, but it will just be him and me.

Acutally right now my grandfather is in the hospital in Kansas and I'll be driving out to see him ASAP, maybe tomorrow. And then that weekend my girlfriend is trying to get me to drive her down to Fort Brag to see her boyfriend, but I really want to make this meet. Not that you needed to know all of that. But it will be the perfect oppurtunity to test out those coilovers.

Fox
Old Aug 18, 2005, 12:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by Shingen
And then that weekend my girlfriend is trying to get me to drive her down to Fort Brag to see her boyfriend, but I really want to make this meet.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 12:30 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I don't get that part either =\
Old Aug 18, 2005, 12:38 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Come on August 24th. Daddy needs his coilovers.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

I'll give my .02 too when i get mine, hopefully next week, I am a rather successful autocrosser so i'll see how they do in a small 'percision driving' course. I also have an ES (thats one thing that really caught my eye).

Also, I'm going with these because they are better than what i'm running (2 inches lower than stock with my progress springs on stock struts) and that is the one thing other than power that needs to be changed in the car for me to run faster. My main issue right now is transitional parts of the course so i'm looking for an improvement there.

happy tuning guys.
Old Aug 18, 2005, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

oops I meant brother... it's not my fault... I'm on drugs... and by drugs I mean water... and by water I mean I'm stupid.

Fox
Old Aug 21, 2005, 11:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by XTXANDY
I'll give my .02 too when i get mine, hopefully next week, I am a rather successful autocrosser so i'll see how they do in a small 'percision driving' course. I also have an ES (thats one thing that really caught my eye).

Also, I'm going with these because they are better than what i'm running (2 inches lower than stock with my progress springs on stock struts) and that is the one thing other than power that needs to be changed in the car for me to run faster. My main issue right now is transitional parts of the course so i'm looking for an improvement there.

happy tuning guys.
I just posted review in show and shine. Took car to the track this weekend for Round 7 in the sacramento solo2 cup. Check it out, it will be at the top... There is a video of my final run. This suspension is awesome. Its awesome! Track time results should be available soon @

http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/Sacrame...ltsdex2005.htm

Look for Andrew Valentine in Round 7, August 20th.

- Andy
Old Aug 22, 2005, 05:56 AM
Evolving Member

Awesome, good to know other people are putting their cars through a little more than they were made for. They site couldnt find the file for day, maybe i'll just have to try later in the day. Either way, keep up the good work.
Old Aug 23, 2005, 03:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by XTXANDY
Awesome, good to know other people are putting their cars through a little more than they were made for. They site couldnt find the file for day, maybe i'll just have to try later in the day. Either way, keep up the good work.

Yeah, I have been waiting for them to post the scores, sooner or later they will be there.

- Andy

(Currently reading up about turbo's and what not... sometimes sounds like more trouble than its worth)
Old Aug 23, 2005, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Got my Nex coilovers in today... hopefully putting them on with N1te on Friday of this week.

Fox
Old Aug 24, 2005, 04:56 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Mine will be here in a few hours. I have already told my wife that we are not doing anything Friday night until I get the coilovers put on.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

They are in and they run and work very, very well. I promised a review so here it is. But for those that don't like to read here's the digest version: Nex Coilovers A+ in my book.

Lets start with install. The install could have been a little smoother but it was my first time. Now looking back it was pretty simple, just took some elbow greese and a little pushing and pulling. The ride adjustment is excatly like Teins or other setups. It's all pretty straight forward. If you have someone like I did helping along then it should only take a few hours, three at best... more if you are doing this alone or unexperienced.

The ride: it rides smooth on the highway, so long as there are no pot holes. Once you hit a bump your **** feels it. The ride isn't as forgiving as the stock. But it's all good. And isn't that what I paid for? A kick in the ***?

Around corners especailly the car rides like its on rails, what does that mean excatly? The car sits flat in hard turns and goes right where you want the car to go. If there were more power for the Lancer this setup would be even better. But as is, for a stock Lancer, these coilovers are the ish.

I've driven about 500 miles on them so far and in those miles I've done considerable highway time, very twisty roads through Shenandoah at good speeds, and everyday driving. the coilovers feel a bit more evened out since originally installed and that's a good thing.

Coupled with a few more suspension mods* the Lancer becomes as fun to drive as a Miata in the turns but unfortunately the car still suffers from a lack of overall power to the wheels and a heavy curb weight. Don't be fooled though, these Coilovers are great and as advertised.

My recomendation those that should look into these is for the street user who wants adjustabilty for weekends at the track or jsut spirited driving though scenic twistys. This setup as others have attested is great for the novice AutoXer who uses his daily driver as a weekend war horse.

If you are all show then springs are a better choice for you as these springs can hardly be seen and add no bling to your ride... that is unless you are looking closely in between the wheel wells. But with the price only a few hundred dollars more than springs and a few hundred less than the closest competitor these springs are a steal at current internet prices.

*For a complete list of my mods to my car please read my sig.

Fox
Old Aug 29, 2005, 12:23 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I couldn't agree more with your review Fox.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

Got mine in and AutoXed this weekend, I think your reveiw hits it dead on Fox. Just a few more things to add from my point of view. The biggest thing that I noticed was how much more crisp and quick turn in was. I know people are going to give me flak but in all honesty the only thing that I have driven that turns in like that is an EVO. Obviously my car still is not going to handle like an evo but the turn in is crisp, solid, and quick much like one. Much more crisp than the STI i autocrossed a month ago.

Also, for those that autocross.. there is quite a learning curve, I still am not used to it yet but you can drive real deep in corners and turn later than ever before and still carry more speed thus helping make you much faster. The only problem is I have to adjust my driving style again haha.

One really nice feature is on the sturt where you bolt the wheel assembly to it, the top bolt hole is oblong so you have much more adjustability than with even a camber bolt, which is awesome. I could only run almost -2 degrees camber, now I can run lots more (maybe even -5 degrees but that is overboard).

I think they are great and they are cheaper and better than getting a set of kyb agx (when they are released for the lancer) and lowering springs. Yes Tein and JIC are probably much better but dollar for dollar its a great setup.

Quick Reply: NEX Full Coilovers?