Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

how does strut bar work?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2005, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya, I would never buy one of those strut bars. DC or Cusco for me only.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
The screws are attached to the top of the strut, by stopping the screws from moving you stop the struts from moving.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by arnold16890
okay now i gave up on taht cheap bar, but i still dont really understand how the bar works. So the bar prevents the struts from bending? or make both sides bend together? how does it prevent the struts from bending just by attaching to the screws?
Ok what it is basically doing is firming up the suspension. This keeps all of the front wheels on the ground. It will basically make your car hold firm to the ground in higher speed turns. I had Engineerboy fabricate a front strut bar for me and while it isn't as shiny and pretty as others you can tell the difference in the ride of the car.

By connecting two points, screws as you put it, on your chassis you are essentially making the chassis stronger. That is all. It makes turning your car in high speed turns easier and less mushy.

Fox
Old Feb 2, 2005, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

This is a quote from another thread from a long time ago. A simple search produced it.

Originally Posted by engineerboy
Archangelite asked: What does a rear strut brace do?

Well it does what a front strut brace does- only for the rear
Basically, it doesn't let the strut towers flex, allowing more of the energy of the turn to go into your suspension setup... it makes the rear more responsive, in a passive sort of way. One guy described it to me as "the rear wants to follow the front now. Before it was kinda being drug around" And I'd have to agree.

A sway bar on the other hand works to reduce roll- you know, when that minivan in front of you takes that turn at 25 and you think it'll tip over.... that's rolling
Does that help?

Fox
Old Feb 2, 2005, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i searched "strut bar help" before i asked in this thread.
Okay, so the bar kinda ties the two suspension togeter like twins, and then when one moves, the other moves too, and due to the fact that the force when turning is now distributed into 2 suspensions, the car leans less........ Did i get it right?
Old Feb 2, 2005, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by arnold16890
i searched "strut bar help" before i asked in this thread.
Okay, so the bar kinda ties the two suspension togeter like twins, and then when one moves, the other moves too, and due to the fact that the force when turning is now distributed into 2 suspensions, the car leans less........ Did i get it right?
Something like that... we need to get someone in here that knows what the hell they are talking about because right now I'm not making any sense. It's like, I know how the damn thing works, I just can't describe it well enough.

Fox
Old Feb 2, 2005, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PoorBoys
Ya, I would never buy one of those strut bars. DC or Cusco for me only.
When you buy name brand you are pretty much paying for the name. I just buy stuff that works. Just like I don't wear shirts that say the name of the place it came from...

Fox
Old Feb 2, 2005, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

if your money is tight get the cheap one but don't expect that can last forever because it might only works for a few months at least that's how mine were & after that the black thing on both side will rust & crack, also it might bend after few months if you often have hard cornering...!
I would suggest the name brand one if the bar is going for long run, also the name brand one is lighter than the cheap one on ebay at least 1/4 lighter. Althought they are expensive but you get what you pay for (look & quality), CUSCO is the best, so is CARBING, also SUMMIT & ALUTEC are also good but all these are very hard to get it in America so the only choice would be as they mentioned RRM & RDD.
Old Feb 2, 2005, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
personally i feel the best bar would have to be at www.rmrproducts.com its also the most exspencive bar tho
its actually on sale for 125 go for it
Old Feb 2, 2005, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by skylancer
if your money is tight get the cheap one but don't expect that can last forever because it might only works for a few months at least that's how mine were & after that the black thing on both side will rust & crack, also it might bend after few months if you often have hard cornering...!
I would suggest the name brand one if the bar is going for long run, also the name brand one is lighter than the cheap one on ebay at least 1/4 lighter. Althought they are expensive but you get what you pay for (look & quality), CUSCO is the best, so is CARBING, also SUMMIT & ALUTEC are also good but all these are very hard to get it in America so the only choice would be as they mentioned RRM & RDD.
Weight saving on our car is almost pointless, unless you are seriously racing your Lancer. A pound or two isn't going to cut seconds off your car. For the equal weight savings we are talking about here just take out the extra CDs you have lying on your car floor. And for serious weight savings just go on a deit and exercise.

Going with a name brand over some of the ones manufactured by people on these boards doesn't make any sense, at least to me. You can go ahead and pay oogles of cash for a Cusco or any of the other manufacturers but you are only paying for the name. Metal is metal, strength is strength; that's what it comes down to and if you can save a buck in the process and put the cash toward something else you'll have more for your car.

For those of you that like to represent companies by throwing a logo or sticker on you're car go right ahead, it's your world. If you care about the show value of a part then go right ahead... That said, you'll never catch me rep a company that charges obnoxious prices for their stuff when I can get the same thing from a place that doesn't. I got better uses for my money.

Fox
Old Feb 2, 2005, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

ebay bar

cusco bar

carbing bar

spr bar

alutec bar
Attached Thumbnails how does strut bar work?-cheapbar.jpg   how does strut bar work?-carbingtowerbar.jpg   how does strut bar work?-cusco_bar_01-lancer.jpg   how does strut bar work?-spr_bar_01-lancer.jpg   how does strut bar work?-strut_bar2-copy.jpg  

Old Feb 2, 2005, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

oh here is the summit bar

they all look good & great quality but a little pricey!
but I would pick either alutec & summit since they are the cheapest if compare with the cusco & carbing
Attached Thumbnails how does strut bar work?-summit_suspension.jpg   how does strut bar work?-summit_suspension02.jpg  
Old Feb 2, 2005, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Those look great what are the prices?

Fox
Old Feb 2, 2005, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

I'm sure we've all seen these on the Classified forums but I mean come on, for the price we are talking about these will do the job and then some.

Fox

PS- I didn't put the price associated becuase I don't want to be accused of advertising...
Old Feb 2, 2005, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

wow, i didnt know we had so many options.
but seriously, dont go with the cheap ones even if you dont have alot of cash.Save for a good one. I bought the cheap one from ebay when I first got my car and started posting here. Hell, I had no idea what I was doing.

The ebay bar fit my car (because I dont have cruise control) but flexed really bad, and would actually rattle again the top of my intake manifold.

And you guys are explaining the funcions of the strut bar right. It basically forces the two struts (or shocks if you prefer) to run completely parallel to each other which will reduce body roll. When you take a hard turn you wont feel the car lean into the turn as hard (mind you it will still roll unless you do something like adding coilovers). It basically keeps your car more level (horizontal wise) throughout the turn so you have more control during and coming out of the turn.

When the car leans in to the turn (bodyroll) and then comes out of the turn, the car tends to snap back with the same force that caused it to lean in to the turn. With strut bars you reduce this lean and the bounce back felt coming out of the turn.

Quick Reply: how does strut bar work?