Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Steering Problems

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2005, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Problems

When i first got my lancer brand new, only 200 miles on it i drove it off the lot with 17" rims on it. I noticed once the new had worn off and you start to notice negative things about the car that you had to turn the wheel slightly to the right in order for the car to go straight, and if you straighten the wheel up it goes left. I thought that an alignment was needed i had it aligned and there was not a difference felt. Later i just dismissed it as the tires causing the prob. Now i have 4 brand new tires mounted,balanced, and aligned and there is still a problem. There is only one suspension shop here locally and they deal mostly with 4x4 suspensions so they are not very helpful with my problem, any advise.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Perhaps a camber kit from RRM would help solve the problem. I've had my alignment checked three times since owning the car and it pulls slightly to the right when the steering wheel is straight up.
Old Apr 27, 2005, 02:32 PM

anyone else have any suggestions
Old Apr 28, 2005, 03:41 AM
Evolving Member

I would just take it to a performance alignment shop. Find what alignment shops some of the high end cars are going to and try that out. You will pay a little more but they usually use camber kits, and do the job right (atleast the one around here does that).
Old Apr 28, 2005, 05:51 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I paid for 3 alignments before I got a simular problem fixed. It turned out that the alignment shop I went to was lazy and only did the fronts. I noticed this when I took off my snow tires and one of them has uneven wear and the rest were fine. Apparently a lot of shops over look the rear.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 02:30 PM

i have found a temporary fix it took a lot of searching but thier are several threads about this topic it seems this veering to the right is pretty common in lancers. what i did was decrease the tire pressure in my left tire by ~4 psi it drives straight as an arrow now
Old Apr 28, 2005, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice find ^^ I'll give that a try and see if helps out my problem as well.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dewman1999
i have found a temporary fix it took a lot of searching but thier are several threads about this topic it seems this veering to the right is pretty common in lancers. what i did was decrease the tire pressure in my left tire by ~4 psi it drives straight as an arrow now
so are the tires at different psi's?
Old Apr 29, 2005, 06:23 PM

yeah i am running 36 psi in my left tire and 40 psi in my right
Old May 1, 2005, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Thats wayyyy too high...should be running 29 psi in both front and 26psi in both back tires...According to wheelmax.com...even if you have aftermarket tires, you should go with the owner's manual recommendation....I have another type of problem..i ordered wheels from wheel max and they sent me wheels mounted and balanced...they are 18 inch wheels...i was driving on the highway..and the steering vibrates like crazy...its only between 60mph and 80mph because when i did 105 mph...i could let go of the steering wheel and the car would ride as smooth as a babys ***...on local roads..its smooth too...but only between 60-80 mph it vibrates like crazy. I took off the weights and got the wheels balanced again...then i found out the right tire was off by 20psi..the left tire was 50psi and the right was 30 psi in the front..so i adjusted tire pressure to 30 psi on both sides and 26 psi in the back on both sides...i stillllllllllllll have the vibrating problem...hubcentric rings were suggested earlier by evom members...but wheel max sends wheels with hubcentric rings to perfectly fit your vehicle..any suggestions?
Old May 1, 2005, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lancerlover
According to wheelmax.com...even if you have aftermarket tires, you should go with the owner's manual recommendation....
I dont know about that...if you get lower profile tires, you WILL need a higher PSI. you should have a lower PSI than the max PSI that is set for the tires. (that info is on the tires). Also, remember that the PSI will vary a little depending on if the tire is warmed up or not.