Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

squeaky rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2005, 11:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
squeaky rear suspension

whats up people, i have had my progrees springs installed on my car for about two and half years now. just recently my rear suspension is starting to squeak pretty badly. don't know what it could be really, im gonna take her to the mechanic on tues. any suggestions on what may have caused this or what it could be. thank you
Old May 8, 2005, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your struts might be going out. 2 1/2 years on lowering springs is quite a long time for staying on the stock struts.
Old May 9, 2005, 04:38 AM

Yeah, you may need to change your struts... It's time for the Tien Dampers...
Old May 9, 2005, 05:04 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the info.
Old May 9, 2005, 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

also, just wondering if it could be anything else. i think its weird how both left and right sides of the rear suspension just started squeaking around the same time. could it be anything else? thanks again.
Old May 9, 2005, 06:23 AM
Evolving Member

I have had mine for probably about 1 1/2 years and I just started to notice some sqeaking as well, but mine I hear more in the front. I get the noise whenever I am going up a curb in to a driveway or somthing like that.
Old May 9, 2005, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You may need to just tighen the top strut nut. One way to check that is the jack up that wheel and then grap the side of the tire, fingers in the tread and pull and push the wheel back and forth as if you were checking for bad bearings. If you hear it rattling or clanking, then the strut nut is lose and needs to be tightened. Again, it may be getting loose because your struts are going, but give this idea a try.
Old May 9, 2005, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Sounds like the struts. Mine left rear went bad (stock springs) after 20k, and my right rear is now squeaking. I'm over 30k now, so no more warranty. Good thing I'm getting Tein BASICS by the end of the summer.

A good way to check is open the rear door, stand on the bottom of the door frame, and rock the car. If you hear a squeak, then it's most likely blown struts.
Old May 9, 2005, 09:43 AM
Evolving Member

thanks alot people
Old May 9, 2005, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

ok i got out of work and got on the rear driver side door ledge and bounced up and down, suprisingly i heard not one squeak. now, when i got home after driving i did the same thing and it squeaks. is that a sign of blown struts. i just think it awkward (sp) that it didnt make a single squeak when i got out of work.
Old May 9, 2005, 09:20 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bushings perhaps? Maybe lube them up and see if it helps (worked for me)...
Old May 16, 2005, 05:19 AM
Evolving Member

ok, struts are on there way out. i got the bushings lubed and the squeaky stop but was just wondering where i should go from here. tiens or just buy new struts.
Old May 16, 2005, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same stupid squeaking. I got under my car while someone bounced up and down in the rear seat. MY squeaking came from the bushings on the lower rear sway bar. (I have the Eibach Pro-Kit) I took it over to the dealership and they said they would replace them for free and check to see if I had any other suspension problems. I told them my front bushings were squeaky too. They also will replace those under my warranty. I just have to find the time to get over to the dealership. The service manager said over half of the people who brought their lancers in have had the squeaking bushing problem---all have been replaced under warranty. He told me they might do a recall.
Old May 22, 2005, 11:55 PM
Evolving Member

so what's up with that recall? i have the same problem in my lancer.. the back squaks like hell.. although im at 40,000 miles now so i don't think warranty will fall in place.
Old May 23, 2005, 11:40 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No recall yet. Spray with WD-40 and see what happens.

Quick Reply: squeaky rear suspension