Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

front end noise - brakes...rotors?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2005, 12:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front end noise - brakes...rotors?

I have an 02 Lancer OZ Rally.
First of all, don't ever do any business with Tires Plus. Every since I had tires and brakes put on my car there, it's never been the same (even after I took it back for them to fix the problem). Crappy brakes....cheap tires. I've learned my lesson.
What's the problem? Front end noise.
Since they put on front brakes (about a year ago) I've had a grinding noise in the front. At first they told me it was because they were semi-metallic brakes and they would do that until they wore a little. So after a week or two of hard driving, they still did it. I took it in and they said that my brakes had developed a film so they grinded them down. No noise until about a day of driving around. So I've dealt with it until now. I bought new brake pads and put them on myself.....very easy to do....and no noise for about 4 days. Then noise. It sounds like a dog barking every time I pull up to a stop sign and my front end shakes slightly. All very annoying. Does all this mean that my rotors are possibly the problem? Is that the noise? It's not a grinding noise...but like an actual barking sound...not all the time...just putting on the brakes to stop (like at a stop sign or stop light. I'm leaning towards rotors. As far as the slight shaking....do I probably just need my tires balanced? Is there a different way for places to balance my tires other than clipping weights onto my OZ rally rims? It looks really tacky.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

Doesn't sound like an alignment or balance problem at all. You'll know it's a balance problem when you drive down the expressway at 75mph and notice your car vibrating and steering wheel shaking. The problem is likely the cheap a$$ rotors they put on your car. My gf has the same issues with her Ford Contour (well, besides the fact that she has a Ford, the brakes are terrible, thank you Goodyear). I have always done my own brakes since I learned how about 6 years ago. I have never had an issue with pads and rotors because I always buy good stuff (Brembo, Axxis, etc). Try having your rotors turned at a good shop and remember to bed the pads in correctly.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds like a few problems. The shaking sounds like a warped rotor. The way to tell the difference between a warped rotor and a wheel out of balance is by when you feel the shake. If the car shakes more the faster you go then it is a wheel out of balance. If it shakes when you are braking then it is a warped rotor. The barking sound is most likely caused from no high temp lube being put on when the pads were installed. I bet the shop didn't bother with it and most people at home don't even think of it. It sounds like high temp lube for the pads and some new rotors would be my guess. Good luck.
Old Jul 6, 2005, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

People ALWAYS think they have warped rotors when there is shaking. I did a lot of research on the subject, and the consensus is you really can't warp a rotor unless it is REALLY cheap material. You're guess is as good as mine, that's why I always do the brake work myself, then I know what parts were put on and how.
Old Jul 7, 2005, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

CHeap products=problem. Like stated above, try the quality route. My Brembo and Axxis setup is the shiznit. Very impressed of the stopping ability over the OEM crap. How many miles on those rotors anyway??
Old Jul 7, 2005, 10:32 PM

About 65k....original from when I bought the car new.
Old Jul 8, 2005, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

There also could be rust build up on the hub. If its not cleaned properly or not cleaned at all the rotor will sit crooked therefore your wheel will wobble.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 05:21 AM
Evolving Member

Any time you buy rotors, turn them. I have never purchased high end rotors for the Lancer, but with my past cars no matter what I spent on rotors, I threw them on my cousins turning machine BEFORE installing them, and they were warped right out of the box, just slightly, but warped is warped.