Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Autocrossing Handling Modifications???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2005, 09:45 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh, and to justify my comment, the Lancer doesn't have adjustable front camber from the factory, and even with a camber kit and/or camber plates, you would be lucky to get more than -2.5 out of it. So when I say you need as much as you can get, it's because you can't get much. I've seen camber as extreme as -4 on an Evo, however, so obviously that's apples and oranges. The Lancer is a car of limited ability... and that's part of the fun.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 09:48 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Engineerboy, you and I must be on totally different race surfaces. The prominent winners in my area are on Azenis and MXs. I had a lot of luck when I ran the G-Force as well, but that's a price I won't pay again.

And why do you need 4 bolts for a camber kit? Only the fronts need it, and I thought that would be 1 bolt each side?
Old Jul 19, 2005, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I was unaware that the Lancers has non-adjustable camber. Most of the EVOs I know have stiff coilovers and run around -2.0 to -2.5 in the front and -1.0 in the rear, but that will be completely different from a Lancer. I have never heard of a well set up EVO running -4, but I imagine that it is possible in the right suspension configuration.

EVOlutionary
Old Jul 19, 2005, 10:03 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

I couldn't tell you what setup Rick was running on his Evo (edit, I think he was on stiffer springs and stock shocks with camber plates installed), but it did rather well at Nationals 2 years ago and he decided on about -3 camber up front. But yes, the ones that I saw with -4 were testing and most of them went to -2.5 to -3.

And yeah, the Lancer is nothing to compare with the Evo. Sometimes I wish it wasn't related in any way. People think we have the same engine block, suspension, AWD even! It's really a better looking Civic imo and the Evo just happens to have most of the same body panels
Old Jul 20, 2005, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They should have just kept the Mirage name (because that's what it is) or called it something completely different, I agree.

To be fair, no one is on the new Azenis IIRC but the folks that are kicking butt are on the 'kook Z212's. But I'll finish this season on the old design Azenis and then see what happens for next year. I have enough stuff to play with without getting used to new tires I'd also like to go to a 215/50 or a wider size and the Azenis STILL only has one 15" size.

The 4 bolt system allows the bottom to push out and the top to push in to get max neg camber. With just one bolt you get like -0.8 or something. As you know the bolts are eccentrics and that what makes the tires rotate on that axis to change camber.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

quick question, i know some of u guys have Tein SS

I jus got Tein Basics for a good deal, are they equally as good for cornering?? I going from Eibach Pro Kit to Tein Basics...I wanna go good cornering.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

they'll be better than just springs, but there's a reason the dampers are adjustable on the SS kit
Old Jul 21, 2005, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

so i will notice a significant difference
Old Jul 21, 2005, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

absolutely. But certainly not as muchas with the SS. From what I've been told, the basics are on about a "6" setting, where as the SS has 0 (full hard) to 16 (full soft). So you're about the middle. Which, may be fine, depending on your track surfaces.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 10:36 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

As long as you're not seriously tuning and racing, you will love your basic kit. but you won't be able to dial in the suspension like the SS kit can, which you really only need if you're racing competitively.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

ill be using mine mostly on the streets
Old Jul 21, 2005, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

i think rock said in another thread that it is 8 but either way you should be right about in the middle settings of the ss kit. You will be able to tell a difference as the shocks are better matched for the springs.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 03:39 AM
Evolving Member

Does anyone just have lowering springs and shocks/struts? Would there be a significant difference in performnce for autocrossing between springs/shocks/struts and coilovers? Are there any negatives to coilovers? I'm getting a little confused b/c everyone on here says "get coilovers" but everyone else says "don't get coilovers." I just want the best suspension setup for autocrossing and street use.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 07:04 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

The problem is "coilovers" is a general term. Coilover is simply a term for a type of spring setup. Those who are saying not to get them are probably thinking of the spring sleeve that fits over stock or generic shocks. Those who say to get coilovers are thinking of complete suspension kits. Many top race cars use coilover suspension, but whether it's a good setup depends on which shocks and springs make up that coilover setup.

Unfortunately, nobody has followed through on their promises to offer aftermarket shocks for the Lancer yet. So although you can find an assortment of springs, you won't find any shocks to go with them. Koni gave up on making them for us, KYB has been telling me they are doing R&D for years now, and Tokiko had promised me they would release some in December 2004 (haven't seen them yet).
Old Jul 22, 2005, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

So, really the only choice would be to get coilovers, since noone makes shocks? That makes things a lot easier as far as deciding what to buy, lol.

Quick Reply: Autocrossing Handling Modifications???