Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Autocrossing Handling Modifications???

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2005, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I propose that we start using more exacting terms.
"Coilovers" will be replaced will "coilover sleeves" for the springs that are on an adjustable perch and go over a stock damper, or a damper than isn't designed for the springs. "Matched coilover springs and dampers" will describe the Tein kits More typing, less confusion.

That being said, coilover sleeves are certainly not your only option. You can still buy Tein's matched coilover springs and dampers, or something similiar from JIC.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 09:15 AM

KYB finally DOES have shocks/struts for our cars.

Mitsubishi > Lancer
GR-2
Years
2002-04
Sedan & Coupe
Front: 333382
Back: 341342

http://www.kyb.com/catalog/index.php...1555&x=39&y=14

However, what would these cost per corner??? If we figure $150, that's $600 for a complete set. That same amount will get you NEX coilovers and a little more will get you the Tein's.

The choice is yours.

Todd
Old Jul 23, 2005, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Tehy're not even the AGXs that RMR was selling two years ago.... alright then.

Well, enjoy those if you don't decide on some matched dampers and springs
Old Jul 23, 2005, 08:16 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, those are just replacements for the stock shocks. They're probably not any stiffer or better handling, it's just an alternative brand. For racing, you really want the AGX or other kind of adjustable shocks, and they just don't make them yet... maybe never will.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

This thread makes me wanna autocross.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

good! Do it! The more people that get interested and start looking for real performance mods (and start paying for them when they're developed :rolloeyes: ) the greater the variety of options will be.
Old Jul 23, 2005, 10:25 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Originally Posted by grubiaco
This thread makes me wanna autocross.
No... THIS THREAD makes you wanna autocross!
Old Jul 24, 2005, 10:12 AM

How 'bout an e-mail writing campaign to Energy Suspensions or PST to make bushing kits for the Lancer (ES has one for the EVO, but don't know if it'll fit the OZ or ES).

I would definitely like to tighten my front end (have 112k miles on it).

Here's the e-mail I sent and the response from PST:

ckleinle@p-s-t.com
Thank you for your recent inquiry. Spoke to management about Lancer OZ poly
kit. they said they have no plans at this time to produce the kit . Regards
Charlie

--------------- Original Message ---------------
At 08:38P Tue Jul 12 2005, Todd wrote:

Any chance PST will be putting together a bushing package for the '02
Mitsubishi Lancer??? (NOT the Evolution, just Lancer OZ and/or ES)

Todd

Thank you for writing to us at Performance Suspension Technology.
The home of POLYGRAPHITE(r). We supply performance engine,
suspension and brake parts for foreign and American cars and trucks
from 1955 to 2003. Shipping is free to 48 states via UPS ground.
To other destinations shipping charges at our cost. It has been a
pleasure hearing from you and I hope we have been helpful to you.
Please do not hesitate to write again. You may call us from 8:30
a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday thru Friday or Saturday 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at
1-800-247-2288. My extension is 354.
Thank you,
Charlie

And here's my e-mail and response to Energy Suspensions:

hyperflex@energysuspension.com
Evo 8 set might fit but i make no guarantees. We dont make any parts specifically for the regular Lancer of the OZ edition. Check with your local Mitsubishi dealer to see if the Evo and the OZ use the same arms.

Good luck,

Jeff Drew
Energy Suspension
----- Original Message -----
To: hyperflex@energysuspension.com
Sent: Monday, July 11, 2005 8:30 PM
Subject: Energy Suspension products

Do you have a bushing set that would fit a 2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally??

Will the Evo 8 set fit the OZ??

Thank you,
Todd
Old Jul 24, 2005, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

people have been mix-n-matching from the evo and eclipse for a couple years now to get the bushings we need. All we have to do is tell them what parts fit where and they should just make a listing. BUt we know the're not going to do any R&D on them because they're not high profile tuner cars (yet?) Deyeme racing also just started making replacement bushings for the front sway brackets (not endlinks though). They're supposed to make a sizable difference.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

After working for a few weeks, I finally have enough money saved up for some wheels and tires. What would be the best size wheels/tires for autocrossing? Does anyone know what the widest size wheel is that can fit on the lancer? Thanks again for your help.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 09:15 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

The best way to go about modding your car for autocrossing is to look at which class you would like to run in and start modding according to the rules for that class. For example, I first started autocrossing with a 94 Camaro V6 and was so excited about it that I bought some 17x9 rims, lowering springs, CAI, and a muffler. Little did I know that such mods put me in the SP class which paired me off with all Camaros (including a 93 SS!). Of course, the absolute best way to mod a car for autocross is to choose the class BEFORE choosing the car. But hindsight is 20/20 and we have already chosen a Lancer (which really isn't all that competitive in any class, although it seems to be best in stock class... sigh). SOOOO with that said, and assuming you don't want to race in the stock class, here are some suggestions.

STS class:
- (expensive route) 15x7 Enkei RPF1, 225/50/15 BFG G-force TA KD
- (less expensive) 15x6.5 Rota Slipstreams, 205/50/15 Falken Azenis or Kumho MX
- (least expensive) stock rims with 205/50/15 Falken Azenis or Kumho MX

FSP class:
- 15x7 Enkei RPF1, 225/50/15 Kumho V710 or Yokohama A032

There are some decent choices in 16x7 as well, but that starts to up the weight and doesn't help you at all, so I recommend sticking with 15" for autocross. I had 16s at first, then settled for 15s. Also, the stock rims are quite nice, a little skinny but they really do well for someone on a budget. Especially nice for using in the stock class if you want to try that, as they are lightweight so you can just focus on a good set of tires. Best of all, that gives you an excuse to buy a set of bling bling 17s or something to cruise the streets on since you don't want to drive the R tires on the street.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 10:08 PM
Evolved Member

put your hands on some stock OZ rims with 205/50/15 rubber (or 215/50/15). They're generally cheap and they only weight 15# for the 15" rims and should fit your LS- that's a good start. I talked to my local discount tire guys and they found me the lightest rim available in 15" that wouldn't take 6 weeks to get. I do recommend 15s as they have a good balance of initial torque and overall high speed (17's will have higher top speed and 14's would have better torque- from the studies I've read).
Old Aug 1, 2005, 10:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Alchemist
people have been mix-n-matching from the evo and eclipse for a couple years now to get the bushings we need. All we have to do is tell them what parts fit where and they should just make a listing. BUt we know the're not going to do any R&D on them because they're not high profile tuner cars (yet?) Deyeme racing also just started making replacement bushings for the front sway brackets (not endlinks though). They're supposed to make a sizable difference.
does doing that take you out of stock class? or is it one of those things no one will fidn out about?
Old Aug 1, 2005, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

I meant that there isn't a set for the lancer, so we've had to mix-n-match from the eclipse and evo aftermarket. Now, if urethane bushings take you out of stock in your area, then it doesn't matter what car they're marketed for, you're out of stock.

And I think you're only likely to be found out at a nationals event (I hear tech is a nightmare), or if you start bragging. My group is totally different from any other I've heard of. We have "Medium Sedan" and I can do anything I want except forced induction or non-DOT rated R-compounds
Old Aug 2, 2005, 05:45 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Last time I checked, stock class allowed any material for bushings except for metal, as long as they are the same size as stock. I'd have to check to be sure, but I believe that allows you to upgrade the bushings on your stock sway bars. Also, stock allows you to upgrade your front sway bar but not the rear FYI.

Quick Reply: Autocrossing Handling Modifications???