Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Autocrossing Handling Modifications???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
woot! placed for the first time in autox... got third and got a nice lil plaque... by the way i tried running your settings with the front nice and stiff... and i didnt do too well... i can actually tell im getting better im gonna try and see if i can knock another second or so off and be up there w/ that damn Si (before i go up to fsp or stx)... after my second run i had to drop the settings back almost all the way soft in the front, with the front on stiff like you guys suggested i was getting horrible understeer.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:51 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
it really doesn't matter how much power you have on auto-x, the tires and slight oversteer suspension setup is the only important part.

tires first, suspension second, power next.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 11:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

True, plok. I might even put power lower (if that were possible) simply beause of how little you're likely to make with the Lancer without jumping into classes where you're HUGELY outgunned. It might tie with stickers. A lot of people (generally not autox people of course) tend to overlook the importance of good tires as the most basic and important part of a suspension setup. But I have to admit my opinion is largely speculative as I've never run my car competitively.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

andrew you cant run you car competitivly... your car doesnt ever run

sorry for the low blow... just had to take it
Old Aug 3, 2005, 06:27 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ +1

And you guys are right. If you're getting understeer, you gotta change your settings. Remember, my stiff settings only worked after I got -2.2 camber up front and -1.0 in the rear. Unless you have that much front camber, you have to compensate elsewhere to achieve oversteer. Even I had to compensate a little by going from -1.5 rear camber to -1.0 and running the rear tires really hard (like 45 psi plus)

Also, you guys are right that power doesn't win an autocross. Some of the worst times I've ever seen came from turbocharged Integras and supercharged Mustangs, as well as a big block 60s Corvette. So much power that you can't get the tires to grip on the sharp corners that you have to do in autocross. They would do much better on a road course or an autocross that has very few sharp corners. Here in CSCC region, you can tell if a Corvette owner or a Miata owner designed the course (wide turns vs. sharp hair pins)
Old Aug 6, 2005, 11:16 PM
Evolved Member

yeah i havent had got my camber messed with yet... but i dont know if im going too... i really like how the car is handling with this setup on the track... nice neutral steering with a slight move into oversteer unless im going really fast and then the dreaded understeer comes back

and i run 36-38psi front and about 41-42psi rear. I tried to go softer but i didnt feel like i was gaining anything extra in the turns... but maybe i wasnt droping it low enough?
Old Aug 7, 2005, 01:11 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes the understeer if you're going "really fast" means you simply had too high of an entry speed into the corners, and no amount of camber can correct for that. Your tire pressure seems just fine, as most people I know autocross around 40 psi. Sounds to me like you have a pretty nice set up. Sure, it could be better, but that would require a lot of testing and tuning and stuff. If you're happy with it, stick with it and focus on the most important equipment... the driver!