Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Wheel Alignment cost?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2005, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Alignment cost?

Ok so when I bought my new tires I bought a three year tire alignment deal through Merchant's Tire. I just dropped my car on Nex Coilovers. I went in and the guy told me that I voided my waranty. Here's the thing though I purchased a service plan, not a waranty through them, shouldn't they still have to honor the plan?

The guy also told me that I have to get an alignment every 6 months now. Is that true? I need a Gurus help on this one.

Where is a cheap good place to get an alignment now that my car is dropped?

Fox
Old Aug 30, 2005, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

get the appropriate drop you want first man. then we'll see
Old Aug 30, 2005, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by N1te
get the appropriate drop you want first man. then we'll see
Yeah I know, I kind of want to do that this weekend.

Oh, so get this... The guy there was also saying that because of the "sport suspension" that I now have on my ride that they would have to adjust the camber and the toe, but I thought you could only adjust the camber if you had an aftermarket camber bolt kit?

I told him to print me out a copy of the services I purchased and it says nothing about if I should drop my car on coilovers that it would void the waranty... I plan to send Merchant's tire an email regarding this question. I paid 100 bucks for that 3 year alignment plan... I want my money back.

Fox
Old Aug 30, 2005, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

i got mine aligned at sears auto center, cost about $60-65
Old Aug 30, 2005, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by azhunballa
i got mine aligned at sears auto center, cost about $60-65
Was that for a lowered car?

Fox
Old Aug 30, 2005, 10:16 PM

If you paid by credit card and you haven't paid/got the bill yet, Tell the credit card company that they didn't hold up their part of the warrenty. And you got your money back. But chances are this isn't the case so i'm sorry.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

i dont wanna burst your bubble on this fox but tis true:

the alighnment plan will have a disclaimer that if any modifications/ work is done on the suspension that, that certain shop didnt so the you void the service plan, its pretty why im waiting to get my coils and camber kit till i get that lifetime alignment, and yes if you have the service plan, you should go about every 6000 miles or 6 months, i mean why not tis not going to cost you anything anyways
Old Aug 30, 2005, 10:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by micropm
If you paid by credit card and you haven't paid/got the bill yet, Tell the credit card company that they didn't hold up their part of the warrenty. And you got your money back. But chances are this isn't the case so i'm sorry.

Yeah I got the tires and the service plans in April I think... sucks. I didn't think that getting your wheels aligned should cost so much.

Fox
Old Aug 30, 2005, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lookslikeanevo
i dont wanna burst your bubble on this fox but tis true:

the alighnment plan will have a disclaimer that if any modifications/ work is done on the suspension that, that certain shop didnt so the you void the service plan, its pretty why im waiting to get my coils and camber kit till i get that lifetime alignment, and yes if you have the service plan, you should go about every 6000 miles or 6 months, i mean why not tis not going to cost you anything anyways

I got a copy of the disclaimer and it does not mention anything about changing the suspension. The disclaimer that I was given only pertains to the maintinance of the tires, "roatate every 6,000 miles..." etc. I haven't even had one alignment yet from them on this plan... the good business thing to do would be to at least give me this one alignment or minus the cost of purchase price of a plan I never used.

To me, and correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the plan suppose to be a plan not a waranty? That's the distinction that I am wondering about. I purchased three years of alignments for 100 bucks when needed, well I need one. And if they sell such plans to people that lower their cars why wouldn't they honor my plan now that it's lowered?

Tomorrow I'm calling Merchants home office and raising hell about this.

Fox
Old Aug 30, 2005, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

^hmmm, yes its supposed to be a service plan, but, thats what i read on the lifetime disclosure at the firestone close by...so i would guess they meant the same, but if there isnt a disclosure then you should have every right to get an alignment.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Shingen
To me, and correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the plan suppose to be a plan not a waranty? That's the distinction that I am wondering about. I purchased three years of alignments for 100 bucks when needed, well I need one. And if they sell such plans to people that lower their cars why wouldn't they honor my plan now that it's lowered?

Tomorrow I'm calling Merchants home office and raising hell about this.

Fox
Do that, or talk to the manager of the local store and be nice about it at first. If you are respectful to the manager and lay down the issues and show him the evidence, it's more likely for him to cut you a deal then if you're a dick about it right off the bat.

Camber and toe can be corrected in the front without a camber kit. The shop will drill out part of the bolt hole for the strut mount, so it can be angled. Toe is also messed up when lowering, and can be fixed during an alignment.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

I believe the camber kit is only necessary if you drop the car more than 1.8 inches (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong ). I put the Tein Basics on mine, dropped it about 1.75 inches, and the tech didn't have any problems getting it aligned.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

When my friend took his OZ with progess springs to Sears Auto Center they charged him $60.00 for alignment and 1 year warranty on it. Also, he had a camber kit with him that he thought will be necessary. Sears told him that our car already has a camber kit on it and does not need one.????
Old Aug 31, 2005, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

yes but the aftermarket camber kits allow you to adjust the degre of camber more or less than the stock ones.
Old Aug 31, 2005, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

riot riot riot! burn them at the stake!

Quick Reply: Wheel Alignment cost?