Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

bad news about our axles/cv joints

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2005, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BAD NEWS AGAIN, so i took apart my right front and pulled my cv joint/axle assembly out and the cv joint near the tranny seperated very easily, but i cant get the other half of the cv joint out of the tranny. does anyone know y? or if thats even supposed to come out? cause everybody i know said the ENITRE assembly should come out and i should see the hole in my tranny where the cv joint goes in.

if u dont know what i mean i'll try to explain. tranny--->cvjoint with 3 teeth--->--<---cvjoint with 3 teeth---->half shaft---->axle end/boot---->axle nut/wheel. THIS IS THE PASSENGER SIDE BTW.

i cant get this section out of the tranny -->cvjoint with 3 teeth---> however when i put the 3 teeth and the other 3 teeth together there is no movement whatsoever.

i just cant get the inner half of the cv joint out of the tranny, it looks like a metal cup with 3 indentations for the half shaft to slide into, PLEASE IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO SOLVE THIS MAJOR DILEMA, PLEASE HELP ME. the cv joint itself appears to be fine, as does the rest of the half shaft/joints/boots i was able to pull out, it appears to be leaking right in between the tranny and the part i cant get out so im suspecting whatever is behind the part i cant get out is broken.

Last edited by maxum17ft; Oct 2, 2005 at 08:22 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 08:22 PM
Evolving Member

i had the same exact problem, heres the thread i had started, should help..https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=157691
Old Oct 2, 2005, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

ya i saw your thread, but my cv joint doesnt appear to be broken now that its apart, i mean all 3 teeth inside are still in one piece and they have no side play when put back in place. i dont know, it must be bad though, i dont think they are just supposed to come apart, lol.

thanks a ton for the link, but how the heck did u pry that off, my car is only like 12" off the ground when i have it jacked all the way up, lol.
Old Oct 2, 2005, 08:45 PM
Evolving Member

when mine came apart i didnt see n e thing wrong, but then again i never took an axle apart before. mine was the drived side so there was a little lip on the tranny that i used to pry against with a pry bar and hit it w/ a big hammer, it was a pain, but once u get it out you'll laugh at how it just slides off, i think i had it about 15-20in off the ground on jack stands, there just wasnt enough room w/o the jack stands, so yuou might have to go a little higher, btw, what side went on you? if u havnt gotten a new axle yet i have a driverside that just has a small hole int he outter boot(i drove on it for about 10min b4 i noticed it was leaking so i parked it and just had my other one rebuilt) that i can give you for a few bucks, i think a new boot goes for $12 from the dealer
Old Oct 2, 2005, 09:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
post a picture...i need to see what you're talking about. the whole assembly should come out...they are usually a ***** to get out and you need to pry at it...the first time i actually ripped a boot getting it out since it was so stuborn. if you get me pics, i can help you out...ive got a shop manual too so i can post the diagrams if you need em. PM me if you need too
Old Oct 4, 2005, 11:19 PM
Evolved Member

I know exactly what your talking about. Your going to need to get a prybar, or a crowbar or something inbehind the small space between that boot and the tranny and pry/hammer that son of a gun out. WHen you re-assemble the cv joint though you're going to run into problems. That part was sealed together and you broke the seal. A Mechanic would tell you to get a new cv joint or a cv joint repair kit..... all you need is a tube of axle greese (you will need this, you'll notice it fell out of your cv joint and a 3" inch clamp like for your intake. put em back to gether and clamp the hell out of that *****. I think napa has a repair kit for 20 bucks but i didnt have time to wait. Do what you have to do :P
Old Oct 5, 2005, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the tips n1te, u gave me confidence to pry at my tranny/ cv joint with a crowbar, lol.

im hoping the part will be in tomorrow, kress the ppl im getting this part from are screwing me over.

i already bought a new axle seal from mitsu for 12 bucks, i have like 20 of them clamps left over from my turbo kit, and i know ALL ABOUT THE GREASE, cause it went all over me when i stuck my fingers in the joint to see what i could feel, lol.

this reallllllllllllllllly stanks not having a car for like 3 weeks, its killing me, for those of u who are ticked off at your car, dont be, i use to hate my lancer at the beginning of this thread, but all this no-car non-sense is making me love it, i cant wait to fix it.
Old Oct 5, 2005, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

3 weeks for a cv joint? lol.... the cv joint took me 4 days... the engine swap took me 3 weeks
Old Oct 5, 2005, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

im waiting 3 weeks for it to come in, lol, i had my cv joint out of my car in like 20 minutes.

u know of anywhere or anyone i can get a passenger side axle assembly/cv joint from?

cause i bet ne money it isnt there tomorrow either.
Old Oct 10, 2005, 05:31 PM

wow this seems overly complicated,but then again i havent had any problems from my oz..im thinking i should be worried though,ive droped my lancer 1 3/4 in and i deliver pizza in it 5 nights a week. And boy i launch the hell outta it about 50 times a night..lol.i have a lances es in the local bone yard i suppose i should grab the cvs before there gone.And i really like the idea of hardening the motor mounts im going to try that asap......
Old Oct 10, 2005, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

yea, harden the mounts, it helps a ton from what i hear.

if i were u, i would grab them cv joints ASAP, and sell them to me

actually to update this, my local parts dealer kress recyclers, screwed me, so i went to car-parts.com and i ordered one today, and guess what, it'll be here tomorrow, all that bs for 3 weeks and i will have aquired one myself in 2 days, lol.

1 and 3/4 drop aint as bad as my 3 inches, lol, u should be ok i think for a while.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

i believe the mitsubishi cyber store and nopi stocks them regularly. 3 weeks quite a while to be out of service.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 07:00 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for the info but i have good news, and BAD news.

i ordered a recycled axle from a place in pittsburgh yesterday afternoon for 80 bucks and i recieved it today and it was beautiful, but guess what, the axle wasnt the big problem.

i have realized that my differential is what is bad, i have come to this conclusion because, well, 2 of my dear friend mechanics told me and when i go right or straight it just slips in and out of gear, and when i turn left it locks up, the only thing that can be is the diff.

so i guess now the only thing i can do is buy a recycled trans and get rid of my 2nd baby.
Old Oct 11, 2005, 07:58 PM
Evolving Member

ouch
Old Oct 12, 2005, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

thats a bummer dude. good luck with that.

Quick Reply: bad news about our axles/cv joints