Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

bad news about our axles/cv joints

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2005, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy bad news about our axles/cv joints

ok, i know this hasnt been done before but somehow i pulled it off. i was at the track doing some free runs and i pulled up and my buddy was eggin me on to burnout so i tried, key word here is tried. i pulled up, dumped the clutch at 4 grand and the tires began to spin, about 1.5 seconds later the passenger side cv joint BLEW APART.

since i havent heard about even any turbo guys blowing axles, i figured it was just my luck, but then my buddy with a really tuned sick itr, told me he did the same thing "multiple times" when he was lowered and on stock motor mounts.

GOOD NEWS is that autozone carries LIFETIME REPLACEMENT axles for our car for 64 bucks and an 80 dollar core charge.

i have been told by many people that the reason it snapped is cause im lowered about 2.5 inches and i have the stock motor mounts. once my car was towed back to my garage my buddy wanted to show me how pathetic the stock mitsu motor mounts are, so he jacked up my car put it in first and took my driver side wheel in his hand and turned it and the WHOLE ENGINE moved like 2 INCHES, i was like WTF, no wonder it broke.

anyways the point of this thread is for future axle breakers to know they have cheaper lifetime replacement axles. it also warns people lowered as far as me to invest in some firm motor mounts and save up for new axles.

if you ever broke an axle due to lowering or motor mounts, or if u ever even broke an axle please chime in and let me hear the story.

as of now im trying to get gator to make us some stage 1, 2, and 3 axles for us speed/burn freaks.

atleast my poor car gets a new mod for this, FIRM MOUNTS BABY.

sorry mods, i wasnt sure if i should put this in tranny or general cause its kinda informative general info on the tranny so i put it in general cause i figured it would get more hits.

I WILL TAKE A PIC OF THE BUSTED AXLE AND MY 40 DOLLARS OF REDLINE FLUID ALL OVER THE GROUND ON FRIDAY NIGHT WHEN I CHANGE IT OUT.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

I feel sorry for you, it's a typical situation for Mitsu. My buddy with an eclipse had the same problem. It all starts with crappy motor mounts.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 05:17 AM
Evolved Member

Hey, at least I have an auto Lancer and won't be worried about breaking axles during a burn out. Because, well, a burnout just won't ever happen. But thanks for the info...
Old Sep 22, 2005, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thats why i did one of those DIY motor mount hardening deals...im sorry to hear about the axle though. i'm curious to see some of these pictures when you post them.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Some more helpful info would be on where we could get some nice and firm motor mounts. I know RRM sell some, just wondering if there is anyone else out there. Sorry to hear about your misfortune, but thanks for letting us know and giving us the heads up.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

deyeme makes them, same as rrm's i believe for 70 a piece, 140 for both or u can send him your used mounts and he will clean them and fill the for a LOT cheaper
Old Sep 22, 2005, 09:27 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by comatose721
thats why i did one of those DIY motor mount hardening deals...im sorry to hear about the axle though. i'm curious to see some of these pictures when you post them.
im curious about the DIY motor mount filling. how did it turn out and did it really do anything? what did u use, the windo-weld stuff? where did u buy it from too?

thanks, u could save me 140 bucks if they turned out ok. im looking for the mounts to be really firm btw.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 10:24 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Its good to see that auto zone has them. they are like $800 (CDN) from the dealer and i couldnt find any re-firbished ones.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

yup, they are 63.95 us dollars at autozone and its a 80 dollar core charge if u dont return the broken one. these are also the LIFETIME AXLES, if ANYTHING goes wrong with them, u just bring em back and they give u a new one no questions asked and about 25 of my closest tuner friends can vouch that it really is no questions asked.

the whole axle kit from the dealer is 475 dollars here, and the axle itself from mitsu with NO WARRENTY IS 254 DOLLARS, I prefer the 60 dollar ones with lifetime warrenty a lot more.

im still curious on filling my own motor mounts or if i should just buy a set of firm ones, no crazy driving for me til i get better mounts.

i was REALLY suprised to find out they have a TON of replacement parts for the lancer, and they're all cheap too, plus they all have warrenties.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 12:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gregivq
I feel sorry for you, it's a typical situation for Mitsu. My buddy with an eclipse had the same problem. It all starts with crappy motor mounts.
I *have* an eclipse and have already replaced to two cv joints. My car has a conservative drop with aftermarket shocks. I don't burn out or launch and it still happened...
Old Sep 22, 2005, 02:18 PM
EvoM Guru

for urethane material for motor mounts:
http://www.mcmaster.com/

search for "urethane casting compound" from the main page
look for 60A or 80A flexible urethane. about $27 per 25 cu. in. of material +shipping.

the first couple of days, the engine starts pretty hard. they get 'broken in' after awhile and then you hardly notice they're there. but THERE IS a big difference to stock mounts. a lot more noticeable if your struts are blown like mine. you'll notice less loss of momentum in between shifts.

we're gonna fill my buddies GSX with the stuff cuz his 3052 is coming in today!
Old Sep 22, 2005, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Finally some relief. The worst clicking sound ever start. For a while, i thought the clicking was my cv joint/axle, then i blew both front struts. So i replaced all my struts with a tein basic coilover kit. I was so sad when i heard the clicking with the coilovers. It sucks because i've never burned out or launced my car.

Good to know theres a cost effective fix since I'm out of warranty.

How hard is it to change out the axle yourself? You should def do a writeup when you do it. Pics!!
Old Sep 22, 2005, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

i guess u have never seen the engine start up....
Old Sep 22, 2005, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

How are the pics coming along. Also, should we change both front and back? I know people usually just change one of them because they dont' want to feel too much vibration.
Old Sep 22, 2005, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

the pixs arent coming along, lol, yet, im not starting to tear it apart til after classes tomorrow, i'll take a few pics along the way when i remember to.

im changing the front and back motor mounts, i want vibration , lol, the girls love it, and i shift happier too.

im gonna go check out mcmaster now, but i really want a super stiff mount, that has NO flex, maybe just a little.

DO YOU THINK RHYZIN that if i burn out all the stock material and replace it with the crap u mentioned they will be as hard as say rrm's or deyeme's?? thanks for the link btw.

Quick Reply: bad news about our axles/cv joints