Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

how to get stripped lugs off???

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to get stripped lugs off???

The lugs on the back left right tire are cracked and the key wont work to get them off. my girl friends father (works for ford as a auto mechanic) and another ford employee said they could drill the studs out and then replace the studs and not charge me anything. Any other ideas of things to try? They already ordered the studs and the new 150.00 tuner style 1.5 lugs...just waiting for a day they can do it...so for right now i am the definition of a honda rice burner where i have the two front tires with steelies and the back two wit h 17" rims.
pleas respond with suggestions.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 01:14 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I don't know about the rears, but the fronts can just be banged or pushed out and then ewplaced. You say lugs, but it sounds like you mean the lug nuts. If that's the case, use an impact wrench. How did the key break? I had "tuner style" ones that broke. I used a socket extension and pounded it in (a small sacrifice), then used an wrench with a breaker bar to get it out.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 04:26 PM

I agree. I had the key to my lock stolen. "why the key and not the locks... i don't know" but my dad and i tried drilling and banging one off. and it worked but damaged the rim. so we went and got a cheap socket and pounded it onto the lock. Then we got put a breaker bar onto a ratchet and they came right off and no damge to the tire.