Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

how much damage did I do ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2005, 02:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jchangsta2six
what did we learn from this boys and girls?

seriously?

i learned power sliding in the snow is the **** and next time i'll find a bigger parking lot
Old Dec 2, 2005, 02:43 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by drew02ES
seriously?

i learned power sliding in the snow is the **** and next time i'll find a bigger parking lot
God bless the folks who never learn.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

hey man, that's really harsh. if someone else is doing all the labor at least get the parts. www.car-parts.com is a local junkyard searcher. u got a cell? pm me and i'll help you find stuff you really shouldnt have to spenda couple grand. a couple grand is a new engine.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

im using my insurance so i only gotta pay 1000, i wish i knew people around here so i could do some/all of it myself :[
Old Dec 2, 2005, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

. . i cry for your car Damn that sucks, good luck getting that fixed. Just goes to show how much beefier rally cars must be to handle what they take if a simple 15mph hit can do that to a regular street car.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Damn you broke your halfshaft
Old Dec 2, 2005, 08:28 PM
Evolving Member

i dont even know what a halfshaft is :[

i still havn't gotten an estimate from the shop, they're calling around for parts still =[

you guys have any idea how much it'll be ?
Old Dec 2, 2005, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by drew02ES
how much damage did I do ?
lots

halfshaft is your driveshaft
Old Dec 2, 2005, 08:31 PM
Evolving Member

is that the snapped bar? i thought that was the axel
Old Dec 2, 2005, 09:25 PM
Evolving Member

no... your driveshaft is exactly what it sounds like... it makes your front wheels turn when you push on the gas.. hence drive and its a shaft so driveshaft .. naturally... Its kinda like an axel... Correct me if I am wrong guys but our cars have independent front suspension .. that means a driveshaft comes down from the tranny on each side... but nothing actually connects both sides to each other... what holds the wheel in place is the control arms... which amazing looks like you didn't break...

I know very little about suspension...
Old Dec 2, 2005, 09:26 PM
Evolving Member

hey i got a spare passenger side cv joint/axle assembly if u want it, i'll sell it to ya for 100 shipped, it has 3400 miles on it, like new.

i did that same exacty thing to my lancer btw, only my wheel actually crushed the fender i hit soo hard. i used my local garage to source out junkyard parts before i found car-parts.com, and it cost me 250 bucks for everything installed, and half the parts i got were BRAND new from dealer.

if u are paying anywhere above 500 for this you are GETTING REEAMED!!!!

you will need:
cv joint
lower ball joint
lower control arm
tire(possibly)
possibly a strut, i didnt need one, and mine was bent worse, your top strut mount allows the strut to move around pretty far, anyone who changed their springs knows what i mean, most of the time the actual strut dont even bend the control arm just has it back about 3 inches, when u remove the control arm the sturt should just go back to hanging straight down.

even from the dealer the most them parts cost are 200 for the cv, 30 for the ball joint, 175 for the arm, and i dont know how much a strut is. and labor coud NOT be more than 100 dollars cause even at 50/hr. it should NEVER take more than 2 hours to change that stuff unless u get a retarded pothead stoner mechanic.

so thats 520 from the dealer to be like new, if somebody's is charging u more u are getting a$$ raped bad!!!

they should be done looking for parts, i can find them all for u in like 5 minutes @ http://car-part.com/ <-- the worlds largest junkyard, its all the nations inventoried junkyards rolled into one site, its AWESOME!!!

EDIT: your definatly gonna need a strut, i just saw in your last pic that it ruptured, so your bill should be around 300 from the shop, give or take a hundred or 2.

Last edited by maxum17ft; Dec 2, 2005 at 09:41 PM.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 09:52 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Optimus
that means a driveshaft comes down from the tranny on each side... but nothing actually connects both sides to each other...
Oh, something connects the sides. A ****ty open differential. Or if you're smart, you've picked up an LSD.

================

maxum17ft - I have some issues with your prices.

cv joint
lower ball joint
lower control arm
tire(possibly)
possibly a strut

And you quote $300 installed, give or take a hundred or two? A control arm cost me $120. A CV boot cost me $70 installed.

You really think he can get those 5 parts installed for $500? Then I'm coming to your garage from now on...
Old Dec 2, 2005, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

can someone tell me a realistic price range? i don't want to get ripped off and i don't know anything about cars, some people are saing 500, some are saying a few thousand.

also, the control arm needs to be replaced
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

in the first pic, the really shiney area is were the shaft was rubbing, it got hot and snapped i guess

the part were it was rubbing, they want to replace because for it to have done that it must have gotten really hot
Old Dec 2, 2005, 10:19 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
Oh, something connects the sides. A ****ty open differential. Or if you're smart, you've picked up an LSD.

================

maxum17ft - I have some issues with your prices.

cv joint
lower ball joint
lower control arm
tire(possibly)
possibly a strut

And you quote $300 installed, give or take a hundred or two? A control arm cost me $120. A CV boot cost me $70 installed.

You really think he can get those 5 parts installed for $500? Then I'm coming to your garage from now on...
lol, i dont have a shop, thats my local guy, he takes care of me, real good care, he charged me 250 installed for a cv joint, ball joint, control arm and labor, he didnt even charge me for the tire, he had a extra 205/40/17 in his shop and mounted it for me, lol.

realistically, if u go to a big shop u arent connected to then i say prolly about 600-700 installed, which would be 200 more than i said before, oops, sorry blacksheep and drew02es, i was referring prices if u know a shop good and they cut u deals.

Quick Reply: how much damage did I do ?