Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Coilover snow performance

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2005, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coilover snow performance

I was just wondering if people with coilovers could tell me how they do in the snow vs stock suspension. I'm contemplating getting Tein Basics but I drive a lot to Maine and Vermont so I want to check that they don't hurt you too much in snow/ice. I searched around and people have a lot to say about snow tires but not so much about suspension. Thanks.

Jim

Last edited by jeemybo; Dec 14, 2005 at 09:46 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 02:54 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hurt? Hurt what?

They're fine. Your car just rides stiffer and dampens better. You'll be fine.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 03:33 PM
EvoM Guru

i dunno where the thread is, but they were discussing how softer suspension is better. someone took off their coilovers in favor of their stock suspension for winter conditions. i don't live in those conditions so it's not something i'd totally remember or actually read all the way through. the thread exists though.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
Hurt? Hurt what?

They're fine. Your car just rides stiffer and dampens better. You'll be fine.
I dunno, I just had a vague impression that stiffer suspension might cause more sliding around...without ABS it's already pretty squirrely at times.

Anyways thanks and I will keep searching...anyone else have an opinion I'm all ears.

Last edited by jeemybo; Dec 14, 2005 at 09:46 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

it will cause it to slide a bit more when turning. The body wont lean into the turn as much (if at all) and will instead slide the back end out.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 04:59 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

My first concern would be tires. Good snow tires are going to keep you the safest.

I can see the idea of what timdog4life is saying, but I just don't see it having a noticeable effect. But I could be wrong.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
My first concern would be tires. Good snow tires are going to keep you the safest.

I can see the idea of what timdog4life is saying, but I just don't see it having a noticeable effect. But I could be wrong.
i disagree. last winter i was driving in my friends lancer (2003 ES, bone stock) with a stock suspension and it handled WAY better than mine. like mentioned previously, the car swayed more as to where mine tended to slide. neither of us were using snow tires though and like you said snow tires would be best. also, the issue i have right now is, over the evening they are expecting 7inches of snow in NJ...i only have 5inches of clearence on the front bumper and not enough time to adjust my ride...looks like i'll be snowed in until the plows come by late in the day

what i forgot to mention was he drove an AUTO...i'm 5spd. the added weight on the front end might have enabled it to stick to the icey roads a little better.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jeemybo
I was just wondering if people with coilovers could tell me how they do in the snow vs stock suspension. I'm contemplating getting Tein Basics but I drive a lot to Maine and Vermont so I want to check that they don't hurt you too much in snow/ice. I searched around and people have a lot to say about snow tires but not so much about suspension. Thanks.

Jim

Hey there Jim,

I will let you know how it is. I have the NEX suspension setup on my car and I live in Maine. It's supposed to snow tomorrow so I'll let you know how it feels and what not.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

I have tein basic's and after the install i felt my grip was much stronger. My car seems to slip less in the rain, but I havent taken it out during a storm yet this winter. Its supposed to snow tonight! I'll post after a quick spin.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

rain is much different than snow. my car still handles well in the rain....hehe i guess we'll see how you do after tonight. be careful, you know how NJ people drive...especially in the snow.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think good snow tires would off set if any change in snow grip with suspension mods. I dont have suspension mods but I have studded winterforce and i stick to icy roads like white on rice. (errrrrrrr) I dont think susp. would change it that much. Dont quote me on this.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

I got the Tein Basics set to stock height...did me no good going up the driveway with the Kaminari front bumper on. CRAP! I could drive ok with the steelies/all-season tires...but it feels like a boat sliding around. The slightest twerk of the steering wheel can get spinning. Keep both hands on the wheel! It's still way safter safer than having 17" summer tires on. That is no fun. In fact scary...I highly don't recommend it.

I'm thinking of jacking up the ride more though...any ideas on if jacking it up all the way -- the negative outcomes of that?
Old Dec 9, 2005, 06:33 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Pick_a_Fro
I'm thinking of jacking up the ride more though...any ideas on if jacking it up all the way -- the negative outcomes of that?
People think a rally car is in town?

Might lower downforce a bit, but you won't hurt anything. I'd do it for the Winter.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

huh? no update after the snow? what's going on in this crazy town.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 09:22 PM

The stiffness undoubtedly will have an adverse effect, but tuning will help make things a little safer. If you leave the rear on the softest setting, and bump the fronts up (maybe 5 clicks on Tein, 2-3 on AGX) you will promote understeer which will at least reduce the chance of a chaotic spin. I know this is the philosophy with rain racing. The stiffness will likely still come into play especially since the rebound isn't independently adjustable making traction loss over bumps more likely, but how likely will depend on the tires.

But, I've never driven in snow so this is all speculation.

Quick Reply: Coilover snow performance