Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Blizzard tires?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2006, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blizzard tires?

I jsut moved from florida to vail, CO deep in the snowy mountains. Too bad i dont have 4wd or awd so il have to make it work with fwd. I was told that i need to get some new tires with studs installed in them. Can anybody tell me how this works? Also what tires should i buy for the front to put the studs in? Should i just leave my stockers (I still only have 12K miles on my lancer even driving from FL to CO lol) on the rear or should i get soem new tires for them too? I dont know crap about driving here. Thanks for the help.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live in maine. I get quite a bit of snow as well. your best bet is what I use, winterforce snow tires with studds on all 4 wheels. or blizzaks with studds on all 4. stock tires suck in snow, even if studded it will only help a little on ice. problem with snow tires is they wear very quickly. if you drive a lot then get a very good all-season tire and studd those for winter. they will last a little longer. hope that helps.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 01:44 AM
Evolving Member

Studded tires are overkill...and they'll be noisy on pavement. With newer tire technology it's not really necessary. I use some Toyo Observes. They are incredible in the snow and slush and ice. After experiencing a blizzard with these babies I will never use all season tires again.

You can get studded tires if you want but IMO it's not worth it. Once you get the hang of driving in the **** you shouldn't have any problems. You do have a stick right? Hehe it helps too.

My advics is get some nice new studless snows for the winter and some good street tires for the rest of the year. Don't bother with all seasons, I mean if you have the snows for the snow then why not get some nice sticky tires for the summertime?

As for your question about the rear tires.....it's always the best idea to have 4 of the same tires on. If you are using snow tires you probably don't want 2 snows in the front and your stock all seasons in the back. It will be more expensive but in my opinion it's well worth it to buy 2 sets of tires for the year. On my OZ i have the Toyo Observes on the stock OZ rims and as soon as spring rolls around I will have some 17 inch rims with Yokohama Paradas or Toyo Proxes for the rest of the year.

If you have just one set of rims then some place near you will probably do the tire changeover for free if you buy tires through them.

Good luck man.

Edit: This is just my opinion though so if you still want a studded tire the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 2 is a nice choice.

Last edited by Chewie4299; Jan 11, 2006 at 01:57 AM.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 06:14 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Studs are not nessessary. Only use Blizacks if you can get WS-50's. They stopped making them and replaced them with Revo-1's. The Revo-1's SUCK, they are by far the worst snow tire I have ever used. I would pay someone to trade me 2 good condition WS-50's for my 2 Brand new Revo-1's.

Other good alternatives to WS-50's would be; Hakkapolitias (sp) which have been rated a better snow/ice tire then the blizacks but I havent had them on the same car in the same conditions so I couldnt say for my self. Or the Michelin X Ice (sp) Which have also been rated a better snow/ice tire then the Ws-50's, yet again I personally havent done the tests myself so I can't confirm nor deny these test results.

I can tell you one thing though, I have driven some crappy cars for snow driving, put on Blizack WS-50's and have been able to out acellerate, manouver, and stop pretty much anything else on the road, and I have lived in some pretty remote areas of Canada. ie Timmins Ontario (very very cold conditions with lots of snow, snow drifts and ice) and Panorama Mountain which also sees very cold tempatures lots of snow and switchback mountain roads. There is nothing I would have rather had on my car then my Blizack WS-50's.

Hope all that helped.
Old Jan 11, 2006, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Danno
I can tell you one thing though, I have driven some crappy cars for snow driving, put on Blizack WS-50's and have been able to out acellerate, manouver, and stop pretty much anything else on the road.......There is nothing I would have rather had on my car then my Blizack WS-50's.
Same deal with my Toyo Observes...you just need to get a good tire and get used to it. I was able to do this with a 1995 corolla beat to **** in horrible conditions....anything is possible

Edit: with a shot suspension too
Old Jan 11, 2006, 10:41 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
All I'm going to say is "Hakkas!!!!!"

http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/t...p.cfm?id=1&w=1