Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

lowering on progress by myself!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2006, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i borrowed my neighbors but another problem pops up, his air tool has a broken adapter, so i went to autozone and see if i could buy one but it effing closed
Old Feb 4, 2006, 09:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ if you don't have access to an impact gun (or yours isn't funstioning well) there is a way to get it off. use a 1/2in socket wrench on top. take a set of those vice grip pliers you can clamp down real tight--->place a thin rag around the teeth of it and clamp it on the inner shaft of part #6 so it doesnt damage the strut. hold that in place while you undo the top. that should stop it from spinning.
Old Feb 4, 2006, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

^^ tried that, i cant get the clamp tight enough! i have a dent on my palm from using that clamp, but it still slipped.... i didnt even use a rag after, and my shock is kinda scratched...
Old Feb 4, 2006, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

a peechure! haha, my babys gonna sleep without one of her legs tonight, on 2 metal poles! i'll continue tomorrow when i get the adapter thing from autozone
Attached Thumbnails lowering on progress by myself!-lowering.jpg  
Old Feb 5, 2006, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

clamp the pliers shut with another pair of plumbers wrenches. that will save your hands....or if you are small and frail like me it will give you some leverage. good luck getting everything back together.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

gosh darn it, the airtool that my neighbor has is an air wrench. I had the adapter fixed but then that wrench is just slow.....i think i'll have to go buy an impact gun....... thats the fast kind right? how much usually is the smallest compressor+tank+impact gun? where should i get them? jeeez im running into sooooo many problems..... come to think about it, i spent over 4 hours trying to get that 1 bolt out......
Old Feb 5, 2006, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

you don't NEED an impact gun. when i installed my coil overs i did not own or borrow one. if you do not feel like spending the money for one just rent it at Home Depot or AutoZone.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
installing coilovers is different from installing springs... he could get the strut out but cant take it apart to remove the springs.. its a lot easier to install coilovers b/c u just remove the entire strut..... coilovers, the only way to go

ur problem is that the strut turns as u try to unbolt the top bolt?

Last edited by imajinmyfx; Feb 5, 2006 at 05:12 PM.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by imajinmyfx
installing coilovers is different from installing springs... he could get the strut out but cant take it apart to remove the springs.. its a lot easier to install coilovers b/c u just remove the entire strut..... coilovers, the only way to go
i apologize for not clarifing...i have springs with sleeves

i did them on my car and when my brother and i installed tein s-techs on his car we had to do it the same....only this time we had an air gun. i said it before and i'll say it again. good luck
Old Feb 5, 2006, 05:28 PM
Evolved Member

exactly my problem! i went to kragen for an electric impact gun but that piece of *beep* was weaker than my arms on my 120lb body! so i borrowed my neighbor's compressor again and went to autozone for a real impact gun, $40.... but then BAM the bolt that i was stuck on for 5 hours yesterday came off in 2 seconds! and then i put everything back together on the left side. And then i finished the right side from scratch within 20 minutes!
Old Feb 5, 2006, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you need the impact wrench. to get that nut off. i just did it today. thats the only way. you dont want to clamp the shock or damage it. remember. when you get that nut off it will spring out. so keep it away from your face or your car. you can rent one or ask a freind. other than that it should be an easy task. spring compressor will make it easier. roadracemotorsports.com has detail istall instruction.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

yea, i didnt install the back yet tho. any more tips for the back?
Old Feb 5, 2006, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
do front to back
make sure you torque to the right specs...watch out for brake lines...have a friend help you with the front strut ...springs are not as hard as most people think...
...oh...get an alignment right after you're done
Old Feb 5, 2006, 07:54 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Hate to break it to you, but the Tein SS kit requires you to remove the nut from the stock shocks to get the plate off anyway. The you have to assemble to coilover shock assembly before installing it. Essentially, the installs are exactly the same. I should know, as I've done both twice each.

BTW, your pic showed the car up on a floor jack. You are putting it on a jack stand before working on it, right? I agree with you doing front then back, but always, ALWAYS use jack stands, otherwise you could be crushed to death. Hard to have fun driving a car when you're flat as a pancake.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 07:56 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Oh and tips for the back. If you have a rear sway bar, remove it from the control arms during the spring install. I spent hours trying to get the strut out before realizing that the arms won't swing down low enough without removing the sway bar first.

Quick Reply: lowering on progress by myself!