Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Suspension Upgrade question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2006, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suspension Upgrade question

I want to upgrade my suspension a bit but only have like 2 or 300 to spend. My question is, should i go with the rear anti-sway bar, or go with a spring kit? I would like to keep my shocks stock for now, and was debating between the RRM Rear Anti Sway Bar and the Eibach Pro Kit. Which is the wiser choice to do first? Or am I missing something and should be considering another option? Thanks guys, you are great!!
Old Mar 2, 2006, 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

personally i'm going with the springs first...hopefully around the beginning of summer.

but that's just me
Old Mar 6, 2006, 01:40 PM
Evolving Member

i did the progress springs it was a great drop. The ride is a lil bouncy but not bad at all. I am going to get strut bars then replace the stuck shocks which might be blown no clue
Old Mar 6, 2006, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Sway bar without a doubt, springs are pointless unless you upgrade the shocks as well. Sure they make the car look better, and sure they are a little stiffer, but once your shocks blow (give it 6 months) your handling could actually be worse than stock.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 02:16 PM
Evolving Member

Go Tien Springs,pretty cheap on ebay, if u want it too look nice, but if u want tighter steering go for the rdd 4 bar set-up, i think like 250.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
springs are pointless unless you upgrade the shocks as well. Sure they make the car look better, and sure they are a little stiffer, but once your shocks blow (give it 6 months) your handling could actually be worse than stock.
Sorry, but I must disagree with this statement. I lowered my car 14 months ago on Tein S-Techs and I still have yet to blow a shock. The ride is still great. Now I do agree that the rear upgraded sway bar should come first as that will give you the most noticable handling mod, but installing springs will not necessarily blow your stock shocks in 6 months. It all depends on you often you drive the car, the road surface conditions, how old the car is, etc etc....
Old Mar 6, 2006, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

i second that^ ive had my springs on for about 1 and a half years and i never blew a shock yet. i think i remember reading something either on TEIN site or RRM site about the springs wont blow your stock shocks...idk....
Old Mar 6, 2006, 03:57 PM
Evolved Member

Well I disagree, there are plenty of people who blow their stock shocks simply because we drive an economy car, not a performance machine. My brother has gone through two sets of shocks on his corolla, and he's lowered on eibach's, which of course claim to not cause damage to the stock units. I just don't see the point in spending 200$+ on a set of springs, have a nice ride for 6 months, maybe a year if you're quite nice to the car, and then have to shell out what 500$ for a new set of shocks? I just think the smartest option is to leave the money in the bank and just wait till you can buy a nice set of coilovers. I believe there is now an offer on NEX coilovers, both the adjustable and non-adjustable units.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 04:03 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get the sway bar if you want better handling. Get springs if you want a lowered ride. Show or go, you have to choose.

I do know some poeple who got a lot on their stock shocks with lowering springs. It's not a matter of longevity, it's a matter of if you bottom the shocks out, you're more likely to blow them. I still personally don't see the point of springs without shocks because you're doing almost nothing for your handling. But if you want to spend $300 just to LOOK faster, sure why not.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 04:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ambystom01
Sway bar without a doubt, springs are pointless unless you upgrade the shocks as well. Sure they make the car look better, and sure they are a little stiffer, but once your shocks blow (give it 6 months) your handling could actually be worse than stock.
I'll disagree here too. My teins have been on for almost 2 years, with great handling still. The springs will give you better cornering than the bar will, but definately get the bar later for even better handling. I'd also go with teins instead of the pro-kit. I've heard multiple times the teins are a bit stiffer (better handling).
Old Mar 6, 2006, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

I stand by my original statement, a sway bar is by far the best investment suspension wise for this car, besides coilovers of course.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 04:36 PM
Evolving Member

I say get the Progress sway bar first then get the RDD 4 bar special, and finally when you have money get the Tein SS coilovers, then your set...My $.02
Old Mar 6, 2006, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
But if you want to spend $300 just to LOOK faster, sure why not.
Man, if it was gonna cost me that much to lower the car on springs, I would say forget it! But I got a brand new set of springs and did the install myself for a total of $100. Not a bad price if you ask me I've also upgraded the rear sway and perches, so for springs, progress rear-sway, upgraded perches and installation, I only paid $270
Old Mar 6, 2006, 09:44 PM

Thanks for all the great feedback! I am not upgrading the suspension for looks, I am thinking of the handling. Sounds like the swaybar is the way to go, but I am picking picking up some new Tein H-Tech springs from a local on the board here, but I will probly wait to put them on. If I researched properly, I should not need to upgrade my shocks right away after I put them on right? I will probly go ahead and put that swaybar on first, since that seems to be what the majority is recommending. Thanks again!
Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

i would get the 4 bar set from PDXralliart, the whole thing is only like 200 something right?

Quick Reply: Suspension Upgrade question