Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

help with locking lug nuts on 02 OZ

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2006, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with locking lug nuts on 02 OZ

so the place i bought my lancer from totally shafted me when it comes to changing the tires. i've got a spare in the trunk--and no jack or tire iron. to top it all off there's no key to the locking lug nuts! d'oh!

i was meaning to stop by the tire place my friend's family owns, but i never got a chance to. i figured you guys would be able to help me out. will the key be something i can just pick up at a tire shop? does anyone here have a spare they could give/sell me?

thanks!
Old Jun 30, 2006, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

and contacting the place you bought the car from isn't an option because....? If it's a used car lot, I'd contact the sales manager about vital safety equipment that is missing and have him give you a guarantee, in writing, that they will cover the cost of replacement from a Mitsubishi dealership for one jack, one set of jack tools and one locking lug key. Agree that he does not have to pay anything until he has the customer copy of the reciept. do not let him tell you that he'll take care of it because he'll "forget" and then you'll really forget about it until you're stranded on a freeway somewhere.
If they give you any beef, then a letter to your state's attorney general, explaining that necessary safety equipment was missing from the vehicle you purchased (and let's be realistic, having the equipment necessary to change a tire IS necessary safety equipment) and a copy to the sales manager will get you what you need
Old Jun 30, 2006, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

i never did think about calling them. it was a mitsubishi dealership, too. not just some lot. it's been almost four months since i purchased the car and stupid me never checked to see if all those goodies were there with the car when i bought it. i was going to do a tire rotation the other day at work and that was when i discovered the problem.

it's quite the hike up to where i bought it... i ought to see if i can get them to ship the stuff to me, too.

thanks for the tips.
Old Jun 30, 2006, 09:35 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If it's the wheel locks, you should be able to get it from a dealership. Any dealership.

As for the whole shebang, I advocate everything Alchemist said...
Old Jul 1, 2006, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Go back to the dealer for the missing parts; but tell us, is the locks from the dealer or aftermarket like McGard or something?
Old Jul 1, 2006, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most tire shops can get off locking lugs without the key. Just call around and get someone to take them off and get new ones