Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

TEIN-S, tanabe GF210, or hotchkis for an 02 OZ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2006, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TEIN-S, tanabe GF210, or hotchkis for an 02 OZ?

i've been reading around the suspension threads and i'd like to drop my OZ... i don't want to completely slam it, and i also don't want to get the wrong springs and destroy my shocks/tires/etc...

all the threads i've read have been full of EVO guys... which i am not. coilovers aren't really within my price range right now--springs are though. from what i have read the tanabes and the hotchkis seem to be the way to go--but will they fit on an OZ and not have problems so long as i get an alignment as well?

i plan on keeping my stock OZ rims and purchasing either tanabe or hotchkis springs--unless you guys have a better recommendation that is.

so here we have the hotchkis sport coil springs: http://www.hotchkistuning.com/cgi-bi...atalogno=19423

and the tanabe GF210s: http://store.racinglab.com/mi03laevo8ta.html

as for the S-techs, i've read a few posts by people who LOVE them but i've read more posts from people who simply hate them. i had planned on purchasing these but i am pretty much against it right now after people told stories of rubbing, blowing stuff, and eating tires.

the pages above state that both of the sets are for EVOs... would i totally wreck my **** if i put them on my OZ? it looks like i will be having a garage do the work for me, i read the US lancer spring install guide and it seems like it's going way above my head.

sorry for so many questions, i'm just getting into all these modifications... my last car was a '95 impreza that ended up eating a phone pole in a snowstorm (). i bought it with 112k on it and it wasn't really a good idea to dump this kind of money into a car with such high mileage.

thanks in advance guys.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 10:02 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Uh, last I checked, only Tein makes springs that fit your car (out of the ones you named).

You cannot put Evo 8 springs on your car, so those links don't help, dude.

The S-techs are a love/hate thing. I don't know about you, so I don't know if you'll like them. But I'll tell you this. No matter what springs you get, you're going to blow your struts. And no one sells upgraded struts. So you're just going to keep having to buy new struts every six months. It's really just a waste.

If you want my opinion, do NOT buy springs. Keep the money and save it up for coilovers. OR just keep the money and enjoy the car as is. Springs are a good mod IF other supporting mods are available. But the Lancer community doesn't have those. No one makes upgraded strut tops or struts. So springs are really just a waste.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 10:33 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree. I had lowering springs, and I regret having them. The ride sucked, they only helped a little bit in handling, and I feel they were not worth the money I paid. I notice a big difference once I switched to a full coilover setup. Save you money, and get a full coilover setup.

Also, you have a high mileage car. I am willing to guess that your car has the original suspension. Installing springs on the original suspension could be the worse thing you do. You would save money in the long run just getting coilovers. You can get a set starting around $700. I think that would be cheaper than getting lowering springs and then replacing your stock shocks and struts.

Last edited by Kurt; Jul 10, 2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

kurt: the mileages i posted were for my old impreza, not the lancer.

thanks for the info, guys. i didn't think the evo stuff would fit the car. i've heard of guys replacing their stuff with KYB struts--are these just regular old struts that will blow just the same?

right now it seems like it would all be a waste of money and i should go with what you guys suggested and save for coilovers or just plain not screw with my suspension at all... however i've seen these skunk2 and ground control coilovers for under $400--would these be worth dropping the cash on?

Last edited by atilla; Jul 10, 2006 at 03:36 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by atilla
however i've seen these skunk2 and ground control coilovers for under $400--would these be worth dropping the cash on?
No that would not be the way to go. I've hear that they do the same as most lowing springs. LIke blacksheep said only Tein makes springs that fit your car (out of the ones you named), but Sprint and Progress make springs for your car as well I;ve hear anything really bad about them but I could be wrong, hopefully I'll be get springs next month I don't have the money for coilovers and won't have it anytime soon. Good luck and keep us posted
Old Jul 10, 2006, 06:35 PM
Evolved Member

dont they have struts for the es?
Old Jul 10, 2006, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, RRM has the KYB replacements for the ES.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

so shouldnt they work on an oz with es top plates? just a thought... but since tein ss kits work on an es with oz top plates wouldnt the opposite be true? or am i over looking a key point here in the middle of the night?
Old Jul 10, 2006, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

I think you're missing that the OZ spring coils just about fit over the ES spring seat, and they're like 1/16" thicker spring stock So if you're willing to convert your OZ to an ES (that includes sourcing ES springs) then you can use the replacement KYBs. But that's the kind of thinking that has us sourcing stuff like 5th Gen Mirage underdrive pulleys

The NEX coilovers are supposed to be pretty good and they're like $300 cheaper than the respective Teins (but they also feel like they're $300 cheaper, from what I've been told).

Last edited by Alchemist; Jul 10, 2006 at 08:39 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

but the only real reason to switch would be b/c you have aftermarket springs, arent they all the same or do they sell springs for es and others for oz (i dont know never looked lol)
Old Jul 11, 2006, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have tein s techs and I love em. I have had them for about a year and a half and my shocks are about gone but its not that bad. They improved my handling by a lot.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 07:13 PM
Evolved Member

The springs are different for hte OZ and ES/LS- again because the springs have to fit the spring perches.
Old Jul 11, 2006, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Alchemist
The springs are different for hte OZ and ES/LS- again because the springs have to fit the spring perches.

well it was just a late night thought... maybe some es and oz owners can hook up and trade parts...