Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Sway Bars( Front + Rear)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2003, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Sway Bars( Front + Rear)

I have been researching for a long time now, and even though the RMR front sturt bar is way more expensive than the RRM sturt bar, it looks stronger, and more fit for the job. If anyone has either of these strut bars i would appreciate your input. Also, are there any rear sway tower bars or are anti-sway bars only needed?Thanks.
Old Apr 21, 2003, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

to start...this is niether site feedback or a suggestion, so just pay attention when you are posting a new thread.

I have the RMR Strut bar, and i love it. I personally think that it is a shade better than the RRM singel tube strut bar, I jsut dont trust all the pressure on one bolt. Im not sure about thier K-Bar, but i havent heard anyhting bad about either of them.

Procarparts.com has reat upper strut bars, but they are not as benifical, imo, as a lower rear sway bar.
Old Apr 21, 2003, 03:19 PM
Evolved Member

just for your info

it is my understanding that strut bars reduce body roll. this is important for weight transfer, and helps the car feel more solid around corners.

sway bars are more functional. they actually torque down one side of the car to maximize tire contact patch, which improves grip during cornering.

someone can correct me, but it seems that a strut bar improves handling slightly, but what it really does is make you more confident by reducing roll. a sway bar is goign to actually improve your handling more by increasing contact patch.

http://www.procarparts.com/store/dis...02-03%20LANCER

they have both rear and front strut bar. obviously the stiffer a strut bar is, the more rigid and less body roll your car will have. but i don't think you'd be disappointed with any of them, as the difference between them is probably minimal.

i have the sway bar, and it is amazing. definitely worth it. i plan on replacing the springs/shocks eventually, and once that is done if i feel that a strut bar can still improve handling, i'll add it last.
Old Apr 21, 2003, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah...that should just about sum it up.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 02:31 AM

i got the rear strut tower bar from procarparts.com and i noticed a small but good difference in handling. feels much tighter in high speed turns (60mph and up). i definitely plan on getting a front strut tower bar from either RRM (k-bar) or from EG if they start selling the one they have in development. then i'll go with a rear sway bar, and finally adjustable struts/shocks, that is... if i don't blow the stock ones in the mean time.

i agree with crzylizard about the single RRM strut bar..... just don't trust one bolt no matter what anyone says, plus it doesn't look that good.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 12:47 PM

first of all a strut bar and sway bar are totaly difrent things.
a strut bar will not reduce body roll!!(it stiffens the frame at the strut mounts) the sway bar on the other hand will reduce body roll by conecting the wheels. when one strut is compresed by turning the other side extends pushing down. the sway bar will
twist under these loads thereby reducing the independint movement of the struts. a larger bar will place more weight on one tire (reducing overall grip) often all of the weight when the inside tire lifts off the ground. that is why a larger bar in the rear will make the car oversteer. (biger bar reduces grip) I hope that clears things up.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 01:09 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by pearloz
a strut bar will not reduce body roll!!(it stiffens the frame at the strut mounts) the sway bar on the other hand will reduce body roll by conecting the wheels. when one strut is compresed by turning the other side extends pushing down.
I'm not so sure about that. The wheels are not connected by the sway bar and I'm faaaaaaiiiiiiirly certain strut tower bars DO reduce body roll (without having any hard scientific facts).

EDIT: Is this pretty much what you were trying to say about sway bars?

first of all a strut bar and sway bar are totaly difrent things.
Minus the hostility, that part I agree with.

Last edited by HobieKopek; Apr 23, 2003 at 01:14 PM.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

You will never drive beyond the strength of single strutbar like RRM's. Even wider street tires could not exert enough force to bend that bar on single bolts. If you run racing slicks then.....
Old Apr 23, 2003, 01:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by raul
You will never drive beyond the strength of single strutbar like RRM's.

that's pretty much the thing on strut bars. i've got the rrm single tube - reason being: why pay more for stuff you dont need? this single bar will be more than enough.

sway bar: the rear sway bar offered from rrm/progress is probably the most noticable modification to your suspension(driving wise) you'll feel an immediate difference in body roll..it'dd feel 50% reduced..maybe more. but if you get one of these, be sure you get their sway bar perches too. the stock perches are ****..mine snapped in half on both sides.

both are well worth the money and rrm has done a great job engineering them
Old Apr 23, 2003, 01:40 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I believe progress engineered them. RRM sells them. What part RRM may have played in development however, I'm not certain.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 04:49 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by raul
You will never drive beyond the strength of single strutbar like RRM's. Even wider street tires could not exert enough force to bend that bar on single bolts. If you run racing slicks then.....
My concern is not breaking the bar. It is indeed a strong, stiff bar. But with only one location on each side, they act as pivot points. This means that the strut bar is only effective on directly lateral loads (going in the exact direction of the strut bar. Any torsional loads or loads going at an angle will simply allow the struts to twist within the circular range of the one bolt that is stationary. With 2 or more bolts held tight, the struts can not twist nor sway, because 4 points cancel out all possible pivots. I wish I could draw a picture in here, but my vote is for the K-bar or the RMR bar.
Old Apr 23, 2003, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

RRM makes them themselves. Why? Cause I have helped Rob and Gabe out cutting pipe for strutbars. So if you are not certain...
Old Apr 23, 2003, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

if youre really in a hurry to get bars id go with rmr just b/c they look beefier than the rrm bars. if you want, id just wait to get them.. i am currently sponsored by freedom design... they are a division of racing dynamics. they are currently waiting for their bars to come in. mine should be here by carlisle. they got some really nice stuff. i know this sounds like a plug but these guys are sponsoring me. if anyone got any questions pm me and ill tell ya whatever you need to know
Old Apr 23, 2003, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

these guys have been in business for over 30 years and they mostly deal w/ porsche, bmw and all the high end cars but they love our lancers.
I can't wait for my bars to come in, it'll be on rails
they are also working on various things, i.e. CAI, the list just goes on.......
Old Apr 23, 2003, 05:53 PM
Evolving Member

get RRM...why pay more? and hell...its RRM

Quick Reply: Sway Bars( Front + Rear)