Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

just some advice before you get some rims from enkei

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2006, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just some advice before you get some rims from enkei

just thought id let you know about an incident that recently happened to me with a rim selection. i bought a pair of 17s not too long ago. they were enkei rp02s. long story short i painted my calipers and drums recently and i noticed a small fracture in my wheel.

long story short i send the vendor an email cuz they said they'll verify if its worthy of a warranty or not. today i received a reply. it states: "Enkei will not warranty that because it has been curb-crashed. You will have to buy another wheel."

now my big question is, if it was curb crashed, why is there no other damage on the wheel? and "crashing" into a curb would not crack it, unless u were going something over 10mph at a curb.

Last edited by joberk3; Aug 31, 2006 at 04:58 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

another thing is how would u get curb damage in the inside? ugh, some people...

Last edited by joberk3; Aug 31, 2006 at 04:58 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 04:42 PM
Evolved Member

hmm that sucks. i love my enkeis though.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

i do too, its just i strongly dislike them for their terrible warranty.

Last edited by joberk3; Aug 31, 2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 04:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dunno. I can kinda see why they say that. Clearly it has been hit by something that caused the crack. The rim is banged up pretty good. Its not a curb unless you strattled one or something. If this damage was caused by the distributer or the shipping company then they probably would have covered it but thats caused by simply hitting something!?!

Im playing the devils advocate here.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

i get what u mean, but not a curb. the least i'd admit to is a pothole and what if i didnt see it? am i really at fault? figuratively, i mean.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

That crack could easily have been caused by the same incident that caused the other damage to the rim (e.g. sliding sideways into something...)....nobody would warranty that rim (IMHO) ...
Old Aug 30, 2006, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

right.. I doubt you strattled a curb. thats the only way a curb would cause that. pothole is really the only explenation unless you were rally'ing. lol.

If you were driving your car and hit a pothole that damaged your wheel. Id say you would be at fault. Figuratively of course.....

Cij911- the rim is damaged on the inside.. Sliding into a curb is out.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 05:08 PM

You might be right, but try proving it. ITs got damage that the rim company didn't put there. You go get an expert to say that the rim was faulty and the crack would have happened regardless of the rash. Then they get an expert that says their rim was fine and that the crack was caused by the rash. Is it really worth it to go through that trouble. Short story, you have a tough case to prove if you want to hold the rim company responsible.

FTW, the rash could have been caused by those drive-thru car washes. Its quite common.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 05:12 PM

Usually if its a pothole that damages a rim, atleast in this county/city here in cali, you can go to the city and they can be held accountable for the damage done to your wheel if it was caused by say a pothole in the road system.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JMod
Usually if its a pothole that damages a rim, atleast in this county/city here in cali, you can go to the city and they can be held accountable for the damage done to your wheel if it was caused by say a pothole in the road system.
thats how it is here too....
Old Aug 30, 2006, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JMod

Good point. May want to look into that. save you a couple hundred bucks mabey.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Ouch. Its really not edgeracings fault. I know it sucks but you need to buy another wheel. It must have been a monster pot hole, or enkeis quality has gone to ****. I have some old racing harts in my garage that have some dents on the inside rim, but no cracks.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 04:36 AM
Evolving Member

Might be from when you were riding on those railroad tracks

This is what sucks about having nice wheels, especialy on a daily driver. Eventualy they are going to get damaged, and low profile tires definately don't help. Then, if they were expensive, and Enkies usually are(I have RS-6's), you have to come up with a couple hundy to get a new one. I have scrapes on mine that I have know idea how they got there, it sucks, but no one is going to warranty that kind of damage. I got one scuffed at a car wash right after I got them. I was lucky, the car wash bought me a new one, so I put the new one on and the same day it got scuffed again on some chewed up blacktop in a gas station parking lot I was sooo pissed, but thats when I realized, its going to happen, they are wheels, and they take a beating.
Old Aug 31, 2006, 10:41 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, I'm removing mention of the vendor - it is not their fault unless you explain to me some type of warranty that you purchased separately from them. I see no such offer on the website at the moment. We do not allow vendor-bashing on this website.

Enkei and their warranty is your only complaint. And it's a matter of "you should have read the warranty before you bought them", so I'm just going to shut up now.

PS - looking at those pictures, I have no doubt it's your fault. The crack is at the exact point of the largest damage area.

Last edited by Blacksheepdj; Aug 31, 2006 at 10:46 AM.

Quick Reply: just some advice before you get some rims from enkei