Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

lug nut torque spec issues

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2006, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lug nut torque spec issues

i have the gorilla locking lug nuts on my car and the damned things keep loosening up. i had one wheel's nuts re-tightened when i got an alignment last sunday, and today i just torqued all of them down to 110 ft/lbs with a torque wrench. i did 100 or so before with an impact wrench, but at least two nuts on each wheel (aside from that wheel i had re-torqued) were FINGER TIGHT today.

has anyone else had issues like this? will these stay solid this time? usually i end up over-torqing the lug nuts because i do it at work with our crazy powerful impact wrench. what do you guys set yours to when it comes to torque?
Old Nov 1, 2006, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use my crazy arm torque measurererer. Just crank on my lug wrench till its really hard to turn.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

haha, that is what i used to do as well... trouble is that when i bought the car the dealership (which was a dealership, too!) didn't give me a damn lug wrench and i didn't want to drive to manchester (NH) to get it.
Old Nov 1, 2006, 07:51 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I always use 75. Never had a problem.

They can vibrate loose, so just be sure to check them a day or so later.
Old Nov 2, 2006, 11:32 AM

I dont use gorilla lugs on my current wheels, but mine seem to stay on fine with 80-90 ft/lbs .
Old Nov 2, 2006, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Isn't there a Loctite that has a small torque breaking point? Maybe give that a shot...
Old Nov 3, 2006, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

i may use threadlocker if they loosen up again. after using my torque wrench i hit them with the air gun at work in the morning. i haven't had any issues.

i got my power steering back in order today and i finally can DRIVE the car with the new coilovers. it handles excellent! hopefully my sway bar perches from RRM come monday and i can get my progress bar back on.

thanks for the responses, guys.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

torque is 80lbs on a lancer 110 are you ****ting me you just jacked you studs then spun those babys in the hub 110 on a 80lb car you probally will warp your rotors and even more nice guys nice or it can be your wheel i.e the lug holes are flared out from over torquing them and it spins the lugs lose
Old Nov 19, 2006, 08:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes.. overtightening the lugs can warp the rotors. I've had that before when Discount Tire used their impact gun on my old Talon/Eclipse, and my parents have had that problem before at the Chevy dealership. I use a torque wrench and tighten them carefully in a star pattern between 80lb and 90lb.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

i work at americas tire co in cali and we never so call gun them on yes 80lbs star pattern then circle pattern
Old Jan 7, 2007, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I had gorilla's before I went Muteki, and they stayed on fine, tightened with just a torque wrench to 90ft/lbs. I have a stupid question, considering your occupation, but I have to ask. You are tightening them in a kind of X pattern, right? You aren't just tightening in a circle, are you? I just had to bring that up, because I know that can cause uneven tightness in the lugs, causing some to loosen. Also, are you sure that the lugs have the correct seating for your rims? I think I read somewhere on here that conical lugs didn't match with where the lugs seat in the OZ rims. I don't know if this is true, because I don't have an OZ Edition, but it's something else to check. I think there was a vendor on here arguing with someone who wanted to buy lugs from him, which he said wouldn't work for that reason. Again, I could be wrong since I drive ES, but check it out.
Old Jan 7, 2007, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

yeah, star and then circle. the issue could be with the specific lugs on the rims. that's something worth checking out, i'd never even heard of that.

november to january and i have not warped the rotors at all. granted it may take more time, but i've seen lugs torqued way over spec on literally hundreds of cars and none of them have had issues with rotors. i am sure that this is a problem that can (and does) happen, but i have not expierienced it myself. i will keep this in mind... but when it comes to superalf574's first post... i can't really decipher what he was trying to say. i am sure that rotors would warp with EXCESSIVE amounts of torque... like in excess of 200. i highly doubt that 20-30 pounds will totally screw the rotors up. it's not like we're tightening something that should be tightended in inch-pounds.
Old Jan 10, 2007, 08:27 AM

use spline tuner lugs/key.. torque is 80 ft/lbs.. you can buy a set just about anywhere.. Discount Tire near you has them in stock.. promise..