Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Vibrations from everywhere!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2007, 06:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Vibrations from everywhere!! Long explaination of problem PLEASE read

Ima try to get opinions here on WTF is wrong with my Lancer. It has vibs in the wheel, not really shaking the wheel but more like...how a u-joint clicks whe n its bad put that into a vibration, mainly while in a left hand turn and around 3200rpm. Goin down the highway 70-80mph around that same rpm mark I get vibs in the whole car, give it gas it goes away, let off it goes away. Vibs are in the wheel when turning but on the highway its in the seat too. I did replace my passenger rear lower controll arm cause I bent the old one but this problem was there even before the control arm was damaged. Ive talked to afew people who say wheel bearing, others say warped rim, Im thinking up front its a bad outer cv joint, just feels like it to me but Ive never had one go bad before so Im not sure. Tires are brand new and dont have any knots or anything abnormal about them. Ideas?

Last edited by Swankzer; Aug 11, 2007 at 07:17 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
That's weird.

If you have a vibration at highway speeds, i would venture to say either you lost a wheel weight or the tires were not properly balanced.

Check the motor mounts or steering linkage for any play. The way to check a wheel bearing is to jack the wheel up so it's just off the ground and pull on the bottom and top of the tire. it should be tight. If there is any wiggle, you need to replace your bearings. But before you do that - try and see if you can tighten the wheel nut to the correct torque.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on your situation.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

I have tested the wheel bearings with the wiggle test and everything seems ok. Tires are less than 3 months old and Im assuming the dealership balanced them, theres weights on them, but I have learned not to give dealerships the benifit of dought. I'll get em balanced see if that helps, get her put on an allignment rack see if anythings off. Is it possable for a cv joint to cause this but not make noise like its going bad? Im hoping this isnt something serious thats gonna cost alot of money.

edit: what do you say about motor mounts. thats sometihng I've actually look at and they do seem to be allowing too much flex. Whats an average ammount of movement when testing them.

Last edited by Swankzer; Aug 11, 2007 at 08:52 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The motor mounts are pretty soft and flex quite a bit. I can wiggle them with my hand. I have stiffer aftermarket mounts now.

ahhh......assuming the dealership balanced them. You should go to a good tire place and have the balance checked as well as the alignment while you're there. I don't think your front end is out of whack - that wouldn't cause the vibrations. As far as the CV, I've had a lot of them got out on me and if they do go bad they make a clicking sound when you turn a corner.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 01:34 PM
Evolved Member

Ive recently had this vibration problem. Mine turned out to be my exhaust downpipe had come off one of its hangers and was touching the car body.
Old Aug 11, 2007, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

If you ask me, I'd say getting you tires balanced and your car realigned will fix the problem. Good luck in any case
Old Aug 16, 2007, 05:26 PM

Long story short, I got run up on a curb while racing this dude. I had to replace both driver-side tires and rims. Afterward, I was getting bad vibrations just like you were (except mine were about 40-50mph). I took it to 3 different places, and they all said it was the tires, but couldnt get them balanced. They said my new wheels were warped. I knew this wasnt true so I took it to a local mechanic. He said the drive shaft for the front wheels was warped. It costs about $200 to fix, and I no longer get any vibs. Hope that helps...
Old Aug 18, 2007, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

This is kinda what Im thinking. I've got a little more description on the vibs now too. I tihnk the 70mph shake is my rearend out of allignment but the other, only happens under hard acceleration when weight is lifted from the front or when I crest a hill under power as I go over the top vibs, and once weight is back down they go away. Ideas?