Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

squeaky brakes/ wheel area?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2007, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
squeaky brakes/ wheel area?

I have a question.
I thought i needed to change out my brake pads since i kept hearing a squealing /squeaking noise coming from my front right tire. So i go down to my local pep boys.....pick up their "performance "pads ( money tight so no axxis ) and i went home to go change them....but i had PLENTY of pad left on my current pads. So i decided maybe i needed to add more caliper grease and clean out the brake parts with brake cleaner, but murphy's law came into effect. I had an EMPTY brake cleaner can GRRRr so anywayz to make a long story short, ended up picking up some brake cleaner and extra caliper grease and i just lathered the crap outta my pads .and cleaned the brake parts out. after putting the car back together i took it out for a quick test drive and SHAT!!!!! i still had that squeaking noise...does anyone have any idea what it is? I tried searching but it looks like moderators did some serious thread clean ups
Old Sep 13, 2007, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

How old are the rotors? Are they still "true"?
Old Sep 14, 2007, 08:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We need more info to troubleshoot your problem.
Does it happen when you brake?
When you brake hard? When you fether the brakes?
Squeaks even when not on the brakes?
Squeaks when you turn?
Or anything else I may have forgotten.

What type of pads and rotors are you currently running?
I've got low end stuff on my Delsol right now and it sqeaks even though the brakes are 10k clicks old.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

well actually. it stops squeaking when i brake.......it only does it when my car is in motion. i have stock rotors....and stock pads......as far as i know the rotors are good. but they have a really shiny gloss to them. It usually is very noticable when i am at slow speeds for example in a parking lot. I do not notice if very much or not at all at higher speeds but then again, it could be because i am not hearing it due to wind noise, and radio and such.
There is a different squeaking when i turn my wheels but it is becasue i lowered my car on stock struts and they are blown so i figured it has to do something with that. I really need replacement struts or coil overs but my money has been going to more important things i.e. school, bills
Old Sep 17, 2007, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it is indeed brakes related, make sure the "warning pin" isn't bent or something. If it's bent it might be scratching the rotor while you drive, and move away when brakes are applied.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 07:39 AM

I think the problem lies in your own words.

(So i go down to my local pep boys.....pick up their "performance pads")

Truthfully I'm not sure what is wrong by the way that you described it I think that it could be a number of things.
Old Sep 19, 2007, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DickMorgan
well actually. it stops squeaking when i brake.......it only does it when my car is in motion. i have stock rotors....and stock pads......as far as i know the rotors are good. but they have a really shiny gloss to them. It usually is very noticable when i am at slow speeds for example in a parking lot. I do not notice if very much or not at all at higher speeds but then again, it could be because i am not hearing it due to wind noise, and radio and such.
There is a different squeaking when i turn my wheels but it is becasue i lowered my car on stock struts and they are blown so i figured it has to do something with that. I really need replacement struts or coil overs but my money has been going to more important things i.e. school, bills
I HAVE THIS EXACT SAME PROBLEM TOO!! my thread is a couple down from this one, Brake problem pt II

this really annoying squeaking noise during low speeds;

you only start hearing it at low speeds though after driving for a bit, as if something has to warm up or something,

and the squeak STOPS when I brake.

We need help!
Old Sep 19, 2007, 02:20 PM

i too have had this same problem its mitsubishi mess up they bought a batch of cheap steel for rotors get a set of slotted rotors not cross drilled ,cross drilled
will crack and warp in a few months buy slotted only and not those cheap ebay ones either i have gone down this route it does not work out well hehe
and get rid of those semi-metalic pads go with a set of "organic"/porcelin pads.trust me problem will be solved any questions bout it just post em up
Old Sep 22, 2007, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AzN_Enthusiast
I HAVE THIS EXACT SAME PROBLEM TOO!! my thread is a couple down from this one, Brake problem pt II

this really annoying squeaking noise during low speeds;

you only start hearing it at low speeds though after driving for a bit, as if something has to warm up or something,

and the squeak STOPS when I brake.

We need help!
yay glad i'm not the only one....now lets ban together and find a common fix