Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

T. P. M. S.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2007, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So I swapped my sensors from my old wheels and the one sitting in my dash as well. I also found the valve stem on the sensor has a little bit of movement to fit to different wheels. Which is damn good cause my new wheels were a little different where the angle of the valve stem came through the wheel.

Anyways, mounted and pumped the tires up with air and installed, my tpms went out and has stayed out. So yes if you have one set of sensors, swapping them over is no problem with no calibration needed. But if you have two set of rims/sensors they will need to be recalibrated every time. And the dealership doesn't have to do it(i think) Most tire shops do have a tool to do this, i just hope it works with the 2008.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can you take a picture/post a link on how the sensor look like? so curious and i have no idea.

thanks
Old Oct 19, 2007, 01:05 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.siemensvdo.com/press/pict...-available.htm
Old Oct 19, 2007, 04:46 PM
Evolving Member

this sucks , they are inside the tires . I will have to take my summer tires off my rims to have the sensor put on my winter tires .
Old Oct 20, 2007, 12:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nosman
this sucks , they are inside the tires . I will have to take my summer tires off my rims to have the sensor put on my winter tires .
Where the hell did you think they where? They do measure the tire pressure...so thus they must be inside.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 01:54 AM
Evolving Member

They are wireless, right?
Old Oct 20, 2007, 07:00 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Eagles GTS
They are wireless, right?
Correct.
Old Oct 20, 2007, 11:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I smell a class action lawsuit coming on

Let us look at logic here,

1.Mitsu Redesigns car
2.Release Car GTS package
3.Fit Summer tires on car with sensor that can not be disabled
4.Winter rolls around and owner pays up the *** for winter tires and wheels
5.Owner Pays up the *** for extra set of sensors
6.Owner Pays Dealer to recal. the sensor to pair it to the car
7. Summer roles around and owner pays to change tires and re pair sensor. your looking at 100 dollar tire rotations.

Hey we can either petition
1) Mitsu for a firmware fix
2) Fire the smart guy that decided that summer tires were a better idea in canada then all season
3) fire the tech who didnt say hey you know what, maybe we should make it so the owner can turn this off.

All these are joking senarios, but i am willing to bet someone will find a work around to turn off the sensor. Hey I will start a fund my self as a reward for such a feat.

Cheers
Old Oct 20, 2007, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Yea true , i bet the mitsubishi dealer can shut these off via the ECU but they won't do so cause it's a safety thing . Anyways im calling my dealer this monday , this is ridiculus .
Old Oct 21, 2007, 02:04 AM
Evolved Member

Whoa guys, if you want to run two separate tire/rims then yes its going to cost you, first you have to buy the sensors, and then you have to get them calibrated every time you swap.

More people than the dealer do calibrations. So don't think its really going to cost an arm and a leg. If you are that stingy on money, after you already spent 1500 on winter rims and tires/sensors, then just don't bother!

If you want to spend the money to get a good winter tire/wheel package, then yes it will cost you to put new sensors in. But places shouldn't charge more than 30$ to recalibrate. All you do it hold a calibration tool up to the valve stem and let it do its work.

And plus with the low pro 18'' you need tire sensors. Cause if a rear goes flat you won't even know, trust me.
Old Oct 21, 2007, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

I think you are wrong about the calibration thing . The sensor in our car have auto reset when swaped to other rims so no need to calibrate them . The problem is more in getting the ECU reconise your SECOND set of sensor .
Old Oct 21, 2007, 10:24 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by CamShaft
And plus with the low pro 18'' you need tire sensors. Cause if a rear goes flat you won't even know, trust me.
Mine went off when the pressure was 27psi. What the Hell are you talking about?
Old Oct 22, 2007, 09:26 AM

He was saying that if you did not have sensors and the tire was flat/losing pressure you wouldn't realize it.

Obviously yours went off when the pressure went down. That's what they are supposed to do.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 04:46 PM

so when the TPMS starts to alert the driver... does it block out the entire info display or will it just have an "!" at the top?

if it just has the "!" at the top and you can still see driver info such as fuel economy, etc. , then i might just negate the use of the TPMS during the winter season... not worth spending so much money on... i'll stick with checking tire pressure manually... lol...
Old Oct 23, 2007, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

No one ever reads the post right. But yes if you have two sets of rim and tires you need to get the re calibrated. But swapping sensors over will not be a problem. I think I am the one who posted that earlier! You get a display on your screen and after 10 seconds of so you can hold the info button to clear it to a little "!" at the top of the screen. But every time you open the door or start the car you get your warning.

Yes your tpms will go off at 27 psi or so, but if you blow your tire you can't really tell its flat like a regular tire. I had one on the rear completely blown and I couldn't tell other than the tpms warning.

Quick Reply: T. P. M. S.