Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

T. P. M. S.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2007, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T. P. M. S.

does anyone knows how much does tpms cost?
thanks
Old Oct 6, 2007, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

I can guarantee it is a few hundred. It really isnt worth it. You can buy a $1 pressure gauge and do it yourself once a month.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 10:34 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
TPMS are $182 at TireRack. Then add some hourly for the dealership programming them to your car.

As for what the dealership charges for the units, I probably don't want to know.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

is there anyway we can just disable tpms? i find it useless and deadly inaccurate to begin with.
Old Oct 7, 2007, 05:28 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by jappaswat
is there anyway we can just disable tpms? i find it useless and deadly inaccurate to begin with.
Not that I'm aware of. Ask at your dealership and see if they're willing to try?
Old Oct 9, 2007, 07:54 AM

my dealership said they've tried b/c they know customers don't want to spend so much when getting winter tires...

removed the sensors...worked at first and didn't beep... but apparently it was b/c the system checks for a signal about every 30km or so, so once you get to that point, the warning light comes back...

still haven't found a way around it yet...
Old Oct 9, 2007, 02:13 PM

I was charged $115.00 CDN per tire for TPMS plus it's going to be another $65 for Mitsu to program them. The dealership told me that the car can only be programmed for 4 TPMS at a time so when I put my summer tims back on I will have to pay the $65 again.
Anybody know if they're just feeding me crap?
Old Oct 9, 2007, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by midunn
I was charged $115.00 CDN per tire for TPMS plus it's going to be another $65 for Mitsu to program them. The dealership told me that the car can only be programmed for 4 TPMS at a time so when I put my summer tims back on I will have to pay the $65 again.
Anybody know if they're just feeding me crap?
Are you swapping the sensors over every time? If so then yes a tire place will charge you more to swap sensors but you don't need to get them reprogrammed every time. If you have two set of sensors, then yes one set needs to be programmed one time.. thats it.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by CamShaft
Are you swapping the sensors over every time? If so then yes a tire place will charge you more to swap sensors but you don't need to get them reprogrammed every time. If you have two set of sensors, then yes one set needs to be programmed one time.. thats it.
I going to talk to my dealership today to hopefully straighten it out but last word that is what they told me which would really suck.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 10:46 AM

Just got back from Mitsu and he told me that since it is such a new car they are not sure exactly how it is going to work. For right now they are sticking with their story that everytime you switch rims you will need your TPMS re-calibrated even if you take it off your rims and install the TPMS on new rims you will still have to get it done.
I am getting my snow tires put on the 24th of this month and they said they'd make me a deal because of the $65 for the TPMS and they're going to wave the normal $30 charge for the snow tire install.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 11:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Dumb thought - why don't you swap the tires and see what happens? If you have the TPMS swapped over, put the other wheels on and see what happens.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 02:04 PM

I'll probably try that when the time comes but right now my new TPMS has to be programmed first.
Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
Dumb thought - why don't you swap the tires and see what happens? If you have the TPMS swapped over, put the other wheels on and see what happens.
Old Oct 11, 2007, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

This is what I found doing a little research, and our sensors are siemens.

"Standardization is on the way with Daimler/Chrysler being the first major automotive manufacturer to introduce a universal TPMS platform with only two different sensors, two different grommet/o-ring kits, and no recalibration (the system resets itself automatically). Siemens VDO, an original equipment supplier of valve stem sensors that developed this technology, has been working with TIA for a couple of years to introduce a valve stem TPMS that is technician friendly, and early reports suggest it was successful"
Old Oct 11, 2007, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by CamShaft
This is what I found doing a little research, and our sensors are siemens.

"Standardization is on the way with Daimler/Chrysler being the first major automotive manufacturer to introduce a universal TPMS platform with only two different sensors, two different grommet/o-ring kits, and no recalibration (the system resets itself automatically). Siemens VDO, an original equipment supplier of valve stem sensors that developed this technology, has been working with TIA for a couple of years to introduce a valve stem TPMS that is technician friendly, and early reports suggest it was successful"
Well hopefully they are correct because they'll save a lot of cash!!

Thanks fro the info CamShaft
Old Oct 11, 2007, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

I am getting new wheels next week. I have one oddball wheel on my car right now due to unforeseen circumstances. But my sensor has been flashing at me only because its sitting in my glove compartment. I will let you know as well if it works because I will be swapping my own tires over, and the new one I am getting as well.

So we should both be able to update this thread in a week or so about the swapping info. If we both have no problems then there's the answer..

Quick Reply: T. P. M. S.