Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Progress spring questions...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2007, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Progress spring questions...

Just installed Progress springs on the gfs car, just had a couple Q's for you guys.

Does the rear end normally sit lower than the front in these cars? In the rear I can't even fit a finger between the tire and fender and in the front there is about a 2 finger gap. Is this normal? I could've sworn there was a 2 finger gap all around when I first installed them, then I went for a test drive and came back and the rear fender is sitting right on top of the tire.

Also, when first installed do you get alot of noise from the coils rubbing together? I know with my Ion this was the case when hitting bumps but after a while it went away.

Just hoping to get rid of my concerns as I double and triple checked that all the bolts were tight but the two above things still concern me a bit.

Any feedback would be appreciated

Oh and just so you guys know, I did search but its hard to tell the front/rear difference in ride height in the pics posted

Last edited by IonNinja; Nov 11, 2007 at 09:29 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

The reason the height changed from during the install to after the test drive, is that the spring had to chance to settle. Do you get a "clunk" sound while slowly turning, or reversing and then forwarding? Are you sure the spring is seated properly on the lower perch? The end of the coil should meet the small, raised portion of the perch at all times. The coil can twist when turning causing that sound I mentioned.

And about the wheel difference, have you ever had any struts replaced on the car?
Old Nov 12, 2007, 01:36 PM

no these are completely stock struts...around ~50K on the car.

and yes I did get clunking noise after installing them, after I double checked all bolts and took it on a 2nd drive the noise was gone so I guess they did settle into place.

however it just doesn't seem right that the rear end would be so low so I'm gonna take the rears out completely and re-install them.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Stupid question (maybe)...do you have a heavy sub box in the trunk? The rear tends to "sag" more, guessing the valving in the struts are pretty louisy.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

I have a stupid question. Do you park on a hill? Also sometimes the way your car settles after you park may make it seem like its a little odd.
Old Nov 12, 2007, 08:49 PM

No when looking at ride height it is on level ground.

yeah there is a sub box in the rear...but its nothing monsterous

I went out and uninstalled and then re-installed the rear springs and struts and ended up with the same result so I now know its not install error.

I personally just think the rear struts have too many miles on them to work with the Progress springs. The rear end is a little bouncy which is annoying but I wouldn't mind as much had it been my car and not the gfs. I think I'm going to pick up some KYB's for the rear.

I do see now why you guys prefer going straight to coilovers
Old Nov 13, 2007, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, true coilovers rock! but not everyone (like myself) has the budget for them. It does sound like they're just getting old; here is a link for KYB replacement struts at the cheapest price on the net... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-G...spagenameZWD1V
Old Nov 14, 2007, 05:40 PM

thanks, thats exactly who I ordered from except I got the ones for the ES so they're a little bit more. still hopefully should be an improvement over 50K rear struts.

We'll see how they handle the springs...

so I'm guessing nobody else with Progress springs has their rear sitting lower than the front by the lack of replies?
Old Nov 14, 2007, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Not sure, but before you get the new struts on take pics of the current ride height and then a pic with the new struts in as well. Plz post up the pics so I can see what to expect. Thx
Old Nov 15, 2007, 05:04 AM

will do.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Anything new?
Old Dec 4, 2007, 06:53 PM

yeah finally got the KYB struts in and..................same thing, lol

the ride is much better though, like stock now vs that little annoying bounce. so I'm guessing maybe its just the way the fenders are cut that gives this appearance. I did see another lowered 05+ lancer in person and the rear did look to sit slightly lower than the front but it also looked to have a 205/40/17 tire on there.

I just did a forum search and it seems like other guys with Progress springs have less gap in the rear as well so I guess thats just the way it is. Why they didn't respond to this thread I don't know!

I'll have pics of the car up soon.

Last edited by IonNinja; Dec 4, 2007 at 07:43 PM.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Cool! I have yet to get the Progress springs on my ride. Still have to find one more rear strut @ a good price before I go all-out on this install. Oh, I need ES rear end links too! but just a couple bushings will be needed from what I can tell...
Old Dec 10, 2007, 08:25 AM

it was getting kinda dark out when I went to take pics so alot of them didn't come out that great. I'll have to get some better ones at a different time...

Car definitely needs some OZ sideskirts if not a ralliart kit
Old Dec 10, 2007, 12:31 PM
Evolved Member

Looks good! I glanced at the Progress for my springs this morning before the drive to work...the box says 1.5" front / 1" back. Does yours say the same?

Quick Reply: Progress spring questions...