Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Lancer DE brakes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2008, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisBond1
I have an ES with rear drums as well.
ES models get rear drums when you get the tech. package.
:[ sucks don't it?
i got the tech pack too that sucks i kind of want all disc brakes but its sure as hell not worth the money
Old Feb 18, 2008, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I mean rear brakes too me are just for show. My dad is willing to put the time in to put rear disc on my lancer over the summer. But that's the last thing i'm going to work this summer. anyways i will update you once summer hits and i start modding my car. also a tutorial for rear brakes will come with pics. i'll make sure my dad explains everything he's doing during the process. ;]
Old Feb 18, 2008, 08:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The best way is to wait to find a crashed GTS or ES and pick up the whole setup... either that or u'll need rotors, calipers, pads, brake lines, and an adapter that will allow you to bolt the rotor to the suspension.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:35 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rear brakes do not matter. Please understand that. If you upgrade the rears to discs, you are doing it 100% for show. Also, it can throw off the brake balance because your car is set up for disc/drum. It can become very unsafe unless you change the entire braking system over.

Just keep the drums. You're better off. The only time you need rear discs is on a racecar. And if you'd bought the Lancer to be a racecar, you wouldn't have the tech package, you'd have a stripped down light-weight all-disc model...
Old Feb 21, 2008, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Very true sheep. But I'm for show. ;] Also, like I said, it's the last project I'll even do/think about over the summer. I'm just doing it for the show, and I'm sure some other people would like to change as well. IF I get the rear converted, I will talk to my dealer for ECU change for the ES with all disc system. Should be free, since they like me. :] (Doubt it though)
Old Feb 22, 2008, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Chris,

If you do go ahead with it, then consider keeping track of costs and documenting the procedure with pictures. As I've said before, I bet the cost will be high compared to the performance benefits. However, I'm sure there would be others here who would like to know the details.

Mark
Old Feb 23, 2008, 12:09 AM
Evolving Member

Mark,

Thanks for reminding me. I will document all cost and procedures. But I don't know about labor cost, because it's all me and my father but I will track down hours spent and headaches along the way. The only way I'm going to get performance benefits if I change the braking ratios to 50/50 so the rear and front brake at the same pressure but not going to do that. Anyways, I'm really researching this thing through so I can do it right the first time.

Also, a little off topic, but anyone know some good summer tires? Good in rain/dry? Been puzzled for 2 weeks now. :[
Old Feb 23, 2008, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

Chris,

I could be very wrong here, so take this with a grain of salt, but I don't think you would ever want 50/50 braking. As you decelerate, weight transfers to the front of the car, inevitably putting the burden of braking on the front wheels. I don't think it would ever benefit stopping power to make the rears equal to the fronts. If the front and rear brakes were providing equal power, the front would be underpowered and the rear would be uselessly overpowered. If things were otherwise working properly, the ABS would just keep releasing pressure off the rear brakes to keep them from locking up. The fronts would then be on their own. There would be no performance benefit from going 50/50.

Cheers,

Mark
Old Feb 23, 2008, 08:31 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank you, Mark. But I'll repeat it anyways...

NO 50-50 braking! No matter what car, the stock bias is going to be front-heavy. The best bet would be to talk to a mechanic or check the FSM (which I can do) and try to locate the stock GTS brake bias (not sure if it's in there, but it might be a start). Or get all the stock GTS parts, etc.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

LOL! I said I wasn't going to do that. That's crazy, I'll die instantly when I brake if I did that. A bit of sarcasm when I said that. Oh well. As stated before, please wait until the summer, when I can start this project. :]