Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Lancer DE brakes

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2008, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lancer DE brakes

now, the DE has front disk brakes and rear drums, the ES has 4 disk brakes as an option, and the GTS has 4 disk brakes standard. what i would like to know is can i change the stock drum setup on my DE to solid disks?
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

I'd say you can, but would it require?...that would need research on your part.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 02:58 PM

my DE came with discs all around...
Old Jan 22, 2008, 09:17 PM
Evolving Member

Take off your wheels, you'll be pleasantly surprised. At least I didn't have to pull out AC I didn't want this time...
Old Jan 22, 2008, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by rc_mitsu_ron
my DE came with discs all around...
really? u got 4 discs. does ur DE have the 16" steelies w/ hubcaps or the 16" alloys?
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

DE’s offer an upgrade package…did you ‘order’ yours or just buy it off the lot?
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by katafuji
really? u got 4 discs. does ur DE have the 16" steelies w/ hubcaps or the 16" alloys?
Yup, I have the steelies with the hubbies...not for long though, lol. Got mine right off the lot.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At a minimum you will need the following:

rotors
calipers
pads
flexible hoses to connect the brake lines to the calipers

If that's all you need, then it won't be too bad.

Some things I'm not sure about:

Will the front/rear bias in hydraulic pressure be appropriate for the new setup? I imagine the hydraulic system is designed to apply a certain amount of force at the front, and a certain amount at the rear. This may not be the same for a disc/drum setup as for a disc/disc setup. I don't know??? If it is not appropriate, then I have no idea how you would go about changing it. If the bias is not appropriate, then you will likely put abnormal wear on either the front or rear brakes.

Do the rear hubs on your car have mounting points for calipers and will they allow the rotors to be mounted??? If not, then you need new hubs.

If you're serious about trying this, then I would suggest trying to find a car wrecked in the front end so you can scavenge used parts. I wouldn't be surprised if trying to retrofit a car with new parts would cost more than the difference in base prices between a new DE and a new ES.

You will still want to retain some kind of drum setup for your parking brake. Possibly more complications?

Now to the real question: Why do you want to do this??? Switching from rear drums to rear discs will have essentially no effect on your panic stopping distance. In a situation where you have to lay on the brakes to come to a short stop (e.g., a car or a deer cuts in front of you), your stopping distance is determined by your reaction time and the friction between your tires and the road. Believe it or not, your brakes are actually not a significant factor here (as long as they are working properly)!!! The advantage of discs is that they dissipate heat much easier than drums. This comes into play when you are doing frequent, heavy braking. If you plan on driving your car on a track, or if you frequently drive down long steep hills (i.e., mountains), then the switch to rear discs might be of use. The latter is not really a Baltimore issue.

So, unless you plan to track the car, this will likely be an expensive proposition that will give you back no noticeable benefit in performance and may very well screw something up.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
P.S. Does anyone have comparative figures for stopping distances of DE, ES, and GTS? I imagine they are all pretty close, and the differences would be due to differences in grip of the different tires, not the brakes.

If you want to improve stopping distance in panic stops, get wider wheels with wider and "grippier" tires. That would be a heck of a lot easier and cheaper than retrofitting rear discs.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by razo
DE’s offer an upgrade package…did you ‘order’ yours or just buy it off the lot?
got mine off the lot. was the only MT Lancer and GTS was sold out. what kind of upgrade package and where can i get it?
Old Jan 24, 2008, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

Have you actually looked at your brakes yet? I think every '08 Lancer came with 4 wheel discs. Mine was a base model with NO options, steelies and caps.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 02:49 PM

^^ not all the trims come with 4 wheel discs, I was one of the unfortunates to have drums in the rear. Anyway I found this article about changing the rear drums to discs but it was done on a prius, but it gives an idea of what to do. And believe me it could be done because I saw a DE with four brembo brakes from an Evo.

This is the article: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2296/article.html
Old Jan 24, 2008, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by katafuji
got mine off the lot. was the only MT Lancer and GTS was sold out. what kind of upgrade package and where can i get it?
When I went to get my 08 lancer, I ‘ordered’ a DE with the ABS and Air Conditioning Package.

This upgrade basically included Disc Brakes with Anti-Lock braking with EBD, Manual Air Conditioning, Power Door Locks, Power Windows, and Floor Mats.

It’s one of those upgrades that has to be installed on the car from the factory…
Old Jan 24, 2008, 03:56 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by kiioichy_EvoIII
^^ not all the trims come with 4 wheel discs, I was one of the unfortunates to have drums in the rear. Anyway I found this article about changing the rear drums to discs but it was done on a prius, but it gives an idea of what to do. And believe me it could be done because I saw a DE with four brembo brakes from an Evo.

This is the article: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_2296/article.html
someone already did a brembo set up on our 08 lancers?!! that had to cost him an arm and a leg... although those calipers are sexy. i find no need for them untill i get a turbo in the next 10 years lol
Old Jan 24, 2008, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by ustcc evo
Have you actually looked at your brakes yet? I think every '08 Lancer came with 4 wheel discs. Mine was a base model with NO options, steelies and caps.
i have not checked my brakes yet. did yours come with 4 discs?

Originally Posted by kiioichy_EvoIII
hey nice article, thanks

Quick Reply: Lancer DE brakes