Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

G.R.I.P springs?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2008, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by voidedwarrentie
I can install them myself. Also RedGTS their are only 2 actual makers of exhause Magnaflow,Greddy, APEXI and a couple others are exactly the same and Flowmasted injen and the other larger brands are all made out of the same warehouse. Anyways I am just asking about the ride I know some of the springs are rwally bouncy I dont want that.
Dont keep giving wrong info, brother
Manaflow is same as RRM
but Greddy is 100% made in japan, i've been waiting for a month for my exhaust , cuz the next shippment from japan to arrive at US is about early April
Old Mar 29, 2008, 06:39 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Who the hell cares what country a muffler/catback is made in?? The issue is quality of design. Just because it's from Japan doesn't mean it's the best thing in the world.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

yeah i bought tein springs for my 04 lancer....within 6 months i blew my shocks even though it was advertised not to go too low to kill them.

What happened is it was fine when first installed, but after time it kept going lower and lower, till finally my struts sounded like a cheap motel bed

i'm debating whether to buy springs to lower my car or just save up and go with coil overs
Old Mar 29, 2008, 06:48 PM
EvoM Administrator

In regards to that, the issue isn't ride height, it's spring stiffness. Tein makes the stiffest springs I know of for Lancers, that's why they handle the best. Progress/RRM springs are more friendly to stock struts, since they aren't as stiff.
Old Mar 29, 2008, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by ambystom01
It comes down to what kind of ride you want. There is no reason to think that Tein springs are any better than say H&R or RRM, they don't use some super fantastic JDM metal when making them.
there are so many reasons, better quality control, better making method, better material?<- this one im not sure, but i've watched a long video about interviewing at Japan tein's factory, shown the whole process of how they make coilovers and tell whats the difference btw their suspension and the other brand's

but what you said is correct, if people can afford Tein, they wouldnt choose H&R or RRM, just like no one would be stupid enough to choose RCA and give up using Sony
Old Mar 29, 2008, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

yea......my 04 was getting really bouncy and squeaky towards the end.....i had like...20k mile on the springs and it was embarrassing driving in parking lots....and having to hear my car squeak.

Yeah i bought the tein s-tech from RRM, I dont reallly want a STIFF ride.....i just want to lower it, and increase handling a little better without sacrificing smooth riding, and my struts

You think i should buy the g.r.i.p. springs??? i'm currently trying to search for other members who've bought them at this moment
Old Mar 29, 2008, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by otter
In regards to that, the issue isn't ride height, it's spring stiffness. Tein makes the stiffest springs I know of for Lancers, that's why they handle the best. Progress/RRM springs are more friendly to stock struts, since they aren't as stiff.
wrong, it is all about the ride's height, the road condition and the driving habit
the reason of changing the springs would cause the damage to the shocks becuz the distance for the shocks to stretching has been shortened

if you drive a lil bit faster to run over the speedbump or hit curb, the shocks dont have enough space to stretch and release the pressure, the bottom part broken and leak oil then the suspension is gone...

i hope you understand what am i talking about lol
Old Mar 29, 2008, 10:28 PM

Anyone else have the GRIP springs on? If so how are they working out for you?
Old Mar 29, 2008, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

Tein: 1.8" Front - 1.1" Rear
Spring Rate: 200-210 front - 150-160 back

GRIP: 1.5" Front - 1.4" Rear
Spring Rate: 175 all around
Old Mar 30, 2008, 08:22 AM

you speaking jibberish to me with that spring rate
Old Mar 30, 2008, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

yo remember tein s-tech werent made for 08 but they fit so take that into consideration... id rather buy something designed for the weight of our car than something that'll fit but was designed for older lancer model
Old Mar 30, 2008, 08:45 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by REDGTS
there are so many reasons, better quality control, better making method, better material?<- this one im not sure, but i've watched a long video about interviewing at Japan tein's factory, shown the whole process of how they make coilovers and tell whats the difference btw their suspension and the other brand's

but what you said is correct, if people can afford Tein, they wouldnt choose H&R or RRM, just like no one would be stupid enough to choose RCA and give up using Sony
So you're basing your opinion on Tein being the best based on a video made about the Tein factory? Yeah, that's not biased at all.

Originally Posted by REDGTS
wrong, it is all about the ride's height, the road condition and the driving habit
the reason of changing the springs would cause the damage to the shocks becuz the distance for the shocks to stretching has been shortened

if you drive a lil bit faster to run over the speedbump or hit curb, the shocks dont have enough space to stretch and release the pressure, the bottom part broken and leak oil then the suspension is gone...

i hope you understand what am i talking about lol
I understand what you're talking about, but spring rate plays a much greater factor than ride height because it forces the valves in the strut to work faster than they were designed for, so they fail more quickly.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:37 AM
Evolved Member

Hey look, another spring thread where someone asked for the pros opinion and we get another f-fest of arguing. BIG SUPRISE

To the person who started this thread: No one will give you an answer that will settle everything. You brought up the GRIP springs because you want them so go f-ing buy them and end this madness. Thanks.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by LancerGTS
Hey look, another spring thread where someone asked for the pros opinion and we get another f-fest of arguing. BIG SUPRISE

To the person who started this thread: No one will give you an answer that will settle everything. You brought up the GRIP springs because you want them so go f-ing buy them and end this madness. Thanks.

LOL ya tell me about it I saw the other threads but no one gave a direct answer. I just wanna know if it is worth $200 to get the springs. Yet again does anyone have them on their vehicle and how are they doing? Blown shocks and how long have you had them on?
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

No one has had the car long enough for trouble. Ask around the end of summer.

As far as I remember the RRM springs are the cheapest (price wise) out there, so if you are just looking to get the lowest cost then there is your answer.

Seriously you will never get an answer, just buy something and hold your breath that you like it