Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Best Tire for Stock GTS Rims?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2009, 07:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Tire for Stock GTS Rims?

I searched and was surprised to not find a thread on this.

What are the best tires as far as value and traction for the stock GTS rims. I am approaching 30,000 miles and it looks like my tires are read for a new set so I am in the market. What would you guys recommend?
Old Feb 24, 2009, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there actually are threads about this...it's just not titled "best tire"

It depends on what you're looking for in terms of performance, longevity, comfort ect. There's no way anyone can tell you what the "best" tire is because of these things. The best tire for snow traction is not the best tire for dry traction ect. ect. Also, a search on tirerack.com will give you a much better idea on what kinds of characteristics you might want from a tire.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 02:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have asked this question, (Toronto Lancer Club) The Dunlop tires are, to be frank, the worst All Season Performance tire you can buy, it doesnt last long and its only saving grace is that its decent in Dry conditions. but you drive it in snow, and look out.

That said, looking beyond the Dunlop tire, its hard balancing everything into one, there are 2 tires we are considering as a official OEM replacement up here in Toronto,

1) The General Tire Exclaim UHP has been endorced by a lot of "in the know" tire dealers, the words said to me is, Dont let the name fool you, they are great tires and I believe they are backed by Continental. The specs of the tire look good, but are only rated for summer driving, so this is only if you have a dedicated set of Winters
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....e1=yes&place=8

2) The Good Year F1 tire has been around for a while and is a great overall balanced solution for real world ALL SEASON driving. Its a performance tire, which will not leave you for dead on the side of a road in a mild snow storm.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....+F1+All+Season

People like myself are looking to replace our OEM Dunlops because they are bald, you can bet your @ss, I and everyone else will not be buying the Dunlops again
Old Feb 24, 2009, 02:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

i bought the general uhp.. i live in tucson just like the op so i dont have to worry about the winter conditions or what not. i saw it had good/great wet traction which helps because of monsoon season. the one bad thing about these tires is that their thread grooves are big and tend to pick up big rocks that sound like you have nails in your tire. but other than that, they have been good to me, its been around 1000-2000 miles since i changed them from dunlops. hope that helps
Old Feb 25, 2009, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Yea I had looked at the Generals, The Kumho Ecsta SPT/ASX, and The Goodyear Eagle GT's
Old Feb 25, 2009, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kwelity
Yea I had looked at the Generals, The Kumho Ecsta SPT/ASX, and The Goodyear Eagle GT's
All 4 of these are good tires and will work well. However you can get better such as the BFgoodrich g-force tire series. It really all depends what your budget is. If you have no dollar restrictions spending a little more than 140ish a tire can make a big difference depending on the tire and traction characteristics.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 03:39 AM
Evolving Member

Any thoughts on the Pirelli P Zero Nero??