Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

What do your Dunlop SP M5000's look like now

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2009, 02:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do your Dunlop SP M5000's look like now

I have driven about 39,000 km on these tires and reading the comments from my last tire swap in November to winter tires, the dealer said.
"OEM tires 60% - 70% worn"

I said to myself then, WTF? then I looked up and said to the Customer service rep, e, WTF?

Well I didnt say it exactly like that, but I joke around with them from time to time so its all fun and games.... well unless your the one that owns the Dunlop tires. I have heard many many stories about pulling to the left issues, people going into the dealer with unusual tire wear, etc... all to be deflected away by the dealer and told to talk to Dunlop, what is more frustrating is that Dunlop will tell you that its an alignment issue, go talk to Mitsubishi. and the cycle continues. Personally I am ready to push Dunlop over the edge and grab proper tires, something thats gonna last. I have wrote a few articles on this topic before, but what I would like from all you guys are pictures of your tires?

how many KM and a snap shot, thats it
Old Feb 24, 2009, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well ive owned my 09 GTS about 6 months and they had about 30% left, i also didnt rotate now ive got new rims and tires, ill take much better care of these tires i dont wanna shell out $700 every 6 month on tires
Old Feb 24, 2009, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

I hated the stock tires from the moment I test drove the Lancer...I took the car to a few Auto X's to purposely give them a painful death. I put on some Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S-C's and haven't looked back...fantastic tire for the money.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 06:35 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

well my driver side was wearing unevenly on the right side of the tire, so instead of buying 2 new dunlops, i threw them out and bought general uhp for 100/tire. but in your case, since you live in cold weather, those won't work out for you... oh and i got new alignment, which stated that my alignment was off drastically.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

I could take better pictures but I am lazy at the moment. This is with around 11,000 miles on the tires. They aren't quite bald but they are at half their life. I'm not putting them back on after the winter. Will buy new wheels and tires soon so the tires are going to whoever buys my rims. Right click and view image so you can get a smaller view of the picture. I posted the largest I could so you could zoom in.

Old Feb 24, 2009, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

12550 miles, 40psi, rotation every 3750 miles... the last 2 roations ive have to get an alignment done cuz front were out of balance..mad vibration on freeway....also when i first got car from dealer brand new i had to go back for realignment cuz i was pulling left
Attached Thumbnails What do your Dunlop SP M5000's look like now-p1000149.jpg   What do your Dunlop SP M5000's look like now-p1000151.jpg   What do your Dunlop SP M5000's look like now-p1000152.jpg  
Old Feb 25, 2009, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by I Am God
12550 miles, 40psi, rotation every 3750 miles... the last 2 roations ive have to get an alignment done cuz front were out of balance..mad vibration on freeway....also when i first got car from dealer brand new i had to go back for realignment cuz i was pulling left
You might want to take it down from 40 PSI (Why would you be running that high?). Your wear pattern looks like it's due to over inflation and thinking you're on the set of The Fast and the Furious.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

well when i got the car from dealer it was 40 psi...and when i talked to spec about tire pressure's i said i drive pretty agressiv eon a reg basis, takin hard turns, and he recommended a higher pressure i asked is 40 gonna be aight he said ya.....i dont know what u see that i dont cuz the wear is all mostly on the edges. i thought if it wouldve been over inflated the middle would wear the most. max tire can handle 50
Old Feb 25, 2009, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

The recomended tire inflation pressure listed by the manufacturer on the door sticker is what you should be running. 40psi is overinflated and will cause issues.
Old Feb 25, 2009, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

aight i will take a look at that
Old Feb 25, 2009, 07:11 PM
Evolving Member

32 is the recommended PSI if my memory serves me well... You could go to 35 but I would not go higher than this...
Old Feb 25, 2009, 08:50 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

its weird how the psi differ from the car and the info on the tire..
Old Feb 26, 2009, 10:52 AM
Evolving Member

The info on the tire is generally the MAX tire pressure. And the reason the info differs from car to tire in general is that not all cars weigh the same.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 12:36 PM

tire psi

they differ from car to car and tire to tire because of weight. 90% of cars and tires recommend between 30-36 psi never seen a passenger vehincle recommend higher then that, Like mentioned you will get improper tire wear when they are over or underinflated. as for the pulling to the left DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT overinflatt one side to compensate, trust me replacing two prematurely worn and if rotated, 4 prematurely worn tires is way more money then taking the car to mitsu and say fix my alignment, i had mine done within a week of having my gts and they said it was out of spec by alot, i think this is the case with alot of the 8g lancers. such as life but i was lucky enough it was fixable. If its not i recommend you ask for another car.
Old Mar 20, 2009, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

aight so inside the door jam it says 32...but my front looks flat when theyre at 32..i wanna run em higher given i usualley take corners at a hgiher speed (than normal drivers that is) ...and it looks like that its kind of underinflated for my driving style because the sidewall is gettin wear now..this should be..the outsides of my front 2 tires are already bald but the middle still has tread...so im like of lost at what to do...increase to 34?

Quick Reply: What do your Dunlop SP M5000's look like now