Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

A rant about tire pricing in Canada...

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2009, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A rant about tire pricing in Canada...

So.....

I needed a set of tires to fit my new 17" rims. I spent about a week doing research on prices and brands. In the end, I bought a set of 215/45/17 Nitto Neo Gens from an online store in the U.S. I'm from a border town in Canada, so I had them shipped to a UPS store in the States. I went and picked them up, declared them to Canada customs and paid the taxes due. I saved SOOO much money compared to buying them in Canada. The difference is shocking and I'm left wondering what would be the reasons behind it.

Each tire cost me $70.40 US. Plus $50 shipping. Then I paid GST and PST on bringing it back to Canada.

The price I found for a Canadian online retailer was $169.99 CDN per tire. Plus $50 shipping. Then of course, tax on top of that.

($1 US is worth about $1.20 CDN by the way)

By buying my tires in the U.S. I paid about half of what I would have paid in Canada. Why??

And it's not just these Nittos. Wal-Mart carries Nexen in Canada and that size costs around $135 CDN each (mounting and balance included). You can buy the same Nexens on Ebay for $200 US total! Yes, there is the extra cost of shipping and installation. But it still works out to a huge difference.

Anyways... just wanted to complain. It's hard for us to mod our cars up here in Canada! Hehe...

BTW.... will post pics when I have everything installed!
Old Jun 8, 2009, 01:53 PM

Dude. Why didnt you just get em installed in the states and drive back with em on?
Old Jun 9, 2009, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

^ that would make sense since your already there buying em
Old Jun 9, 2009, 11:24 PM

I did this....

Customs will not look at your tires so you don't need to mention anything....
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:16 AM

Well, I upgraded sizes. So I would have had to bring the 17 inch rims with me into the states to get them mounted.

Also, the GT rims and tires are still good so I'm keeping them for the winter. So I would have been bringing back a set of used tires and wheels with me. That might tip them off a little that something is up, hehe.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

You are going to hate the stock tires for winter driving. And also I might have gone with a different size tire. You are WAY under your native aspect ratio and it is going to make your speedometer way off.