Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Tie bars, anti-sway bars and strut tower bars

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2009, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tie bars, anti-sway bars and strut tower bars

What are the differences between the three types of suspension reinforcements I mentioned in the title? My girlfriend wants to start upgrading the suspension in her 09 GTS slowly, and wants to know what the perks of each are and where she should start. I basically know just the basics. If she upgrades the rear anti-sway bar before upgrading the front strut tower brace, the car will tend to understeer more, right? And vice-versa? What specific differences will lower tie bars and truss bars make?

thanks
Old May 3, 2009, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

the lower tie bars n truss bars jus stiffen up the chassis, i think those would be laxst to do if ur lookin for a big difference first of all..the front strut tower bar will be the biggest diff maker, then the rear anti sway...for the front strut stay away from bars that com in pieces with screws AKA the megan racing one..gone for something thats 1 welded piece AKA the rrm one or UltraRacing's one which i prefer

for anti sway bars..the gts stock one is 20mm thick...rrm offers one that is 22mm yet the brackets it used for mounting up are welded on..WORKS has one that is also 22mm but is 1 forged piece (more rigidity, but to most people it doesnt matter, jus preference) also UltraRacing has one that is 23mm here

overall UltraRacing has the most options chassis wise out of all AF companies that ive come across, check it here

tanabe also offers their own front under brace
Old May 3, 2009, 08:33 PM

Thanks for the info. Does replacing the stock front strut tower bar make quite a bit of difference? I know I can bend it with my own hands if I wanted, so I'm guessing it does very little?
Old May 3, 2009, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

some say the gts stock is ok for daily driving..but my "daily driving" is another persons "weekend racing" so depends on the driver. but it will make the most difference that u can actually FEEL, next to the anti sway bar
Old May 3, 2009, 08:42 PM

Thats basically how she (and I) drive it. She said she's specifically looking to get rid of some of the body roll and she wants it tighter-feeling, but is looking to do it slowly.
Old May 3, 2009, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

aight then so id go front strut first, then anti-sway...
then some springs or coilovers...depends how much ya wanna spend
Old May 3, 2009, 10:21 PM
Evolved Member

^same difference