Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Rear Drum Brake Conversion Kit for ES?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2009, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Drum Brake Conversion Kit for ES?

I want to buy a new Lancer, but for monetary reasons (I'm broke) it is probably going to be an ES. My plan is to run it for a while as stock, but then start modifying it.

I HATE drum brakes, so is there any conversion kit to go from the rear drums to rear discs in the ES?
Old Aug 17, 2009, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the es has rear discs the DE has drums if your strapped for cash look for a used lancer rather than new, they depreciate rather quickly.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lancer0220
the es has rear discs the DE has drums if your strapped for cash look for a used lancer rather than new, they depreciate rather quickly.
Actually the ES used to have rear discs (mine does) but the second shipment of the ES models had drum brakes. Instead they added a lip spoiler.

To the OP:
I hate drum brakes too but consider that if you convert from the rear drum brakes to disc brakes, it is going to be for looks rather than any performance benefit. Looking for a used low mileage car is always a good option and will save you some cash.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:16 PM

Whoops I meant the DE not the ES...I always get them confused.

I was looking to trade my car in using "cash for clunkers" so it has to be a new one.

Last edited by sammysam; Aug 17, 2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sammysam
Whoops I meant the DE not the ES...I always get them confused.

I was looking to trade my car in using "cash for clunkers" so it has to be a new one.
id try to get a deal on an es or gts, right now mitsu has 1500 off then the 4500 cash for clunkers then try to talk the dealer down another 2k, make sure to stress to them that the 3500-4500 from clunkers and the 1500 is NOT out of their pocket, they will try to seem like THEY are giving you a deal when the car is 6k off msrp when THEY arent doing anything. my father in law used this tactic with jeep dealer and it worked quite well.

first thing to say is, Lets Start off at 1250 off msrp, not including mitsubishi rebate or clunkers, if they say no go to another dealership. remember it isnt uncommon for dealerships to go down on price 1k-3k without using factory rebates, dealers are just trying to get by without discounting their stock by using the govt rebate and mitsu rebate as their own incentives.

good luck man.
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

also to "MasterAK" thanks for the clairication.

to the op make sure if u do get a de that it does have AC and if it doesnt have air conditioning make sure you KNOW that a head of time and use it as a bargaining chip.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 10:32 AM

Thanks for the advice lancer0220. I'll make sure to use that tactic.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 08:45 AM

forget about changing to disc brakes, its useless, unless your planing some serious performance driving, and its going to cost you alot of cash(assuming $$ is the reason your not buying it with disc brakes in the first place), spend that on wheel&tires, that will improve performance and do more for the looks then disc brakes in the oem steels rims of the ES.
But do your best effort and try to get the abs package, its better and youll get discs all around
Good luck!