Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

TPMS - Figure this out.....

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2009, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS - Figure this out.....

So all four wheels got stolen off my car last week. So after my insurance claim and annoyances, i ordered a brand new set of aftermarket 18s from tirerack.com. Came with TPMS sensors installed and everything mounted and balanced by tirerack. They arrive in less than 24 hours which boggled my mind (way to go TireRack). So last night i finally mounted them on the car, lowered it off the jacks, started her up expecting the "service required" light to come on, and so far, i have yet to have any tire pressure or service lights come on.

How is this possible? haha. Aftermarket TPMS sensors installed by tire rack, obviously not the originals from the stolen wheels, yet my car doesnt throw a sensor error code? Not knocking it of course, but i find it odd.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to get the new TPMS sensors calibrated by the dealer. Not tirerack at all. Every set of TPMS is specific to that car, so when you get a new set, you must get them calibrated to that car.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EngRWW33
You have to get the new TPMS sensors calibrated by the dealer. Not tirerack at all. Every set of TPMS is specific to that car, so when you get a new set, you must get them calibrated to that car.
no i understand that. From everything i read, when installing new TPMS sensors, the car will read "service required" and the pressure sensor light BEFORE you get them calibrated by the dealer. Which is obvious because you're putting on new sensors that arent linked to your specific car yet.

BUT

Mine hasnt thrown the code yet, like nothing is wrong, and i never put new wheels on.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

oh... takes about 40 or so miles. It will come.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 08:28 AM

When i got my winters on last year, i drove all the way home without the service light coming on. But the next day, as soon as i started it, the light came on.

Give it a day, or do some driving, it will come on.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Yup, just like you guys said, it came on this morning. Got an appointment at mitsu next weekend, unfort an hour labor. Ridiculous
Old Sep 3, 2009, 06:43 PM

can the dealer only caliberate the sensors or can this be done at any auto shop?
Old Sep 4, 2009, 04:22 AM
Evolved Member

at this time, only the dealer can.