Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

do i need "spring compressors" for progress spring install?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2003, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do i need "spring compressors" for progress spring install?

So I've gotten a set of progress springs for my oz-rally from dem1k .. the question is, will i *really* need to get spring compressors to install these? This will be my first spring installation on a car (not new to working on cars, just suspension) and wanted other peoplles feedback.

I have read RRM's install of springs and I do see that they use spring compressors and I'm gonna use that as an install guide .. but the question is, do I *really* need them? Keep in mind that i'm one buff **** (actually i'm starting to get a beer gut) .. but thats a whole different issue.

Your feedback is appreciated.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 08:57 PM
Account Disabled

yes you will need them...you still need to take the regular springs off...its a little dangerous if you just hit it with the air gun...your taking the chace of stuff flying off...but when putting the springs on we didnt use one...you wont really need it...you should get your struts too...kill two things at once...just a suggestion
Old Nov 13, 2003, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

so the spring compressors are used more so for removal of stock springs, rather than install of new springs?

thanks for the feedback guys.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 09:13 PM

nope dont need one...
Old Nov 13, 2003, 09:24 PM
Account Disabled

if you dont want to take chances and have stuff fly all over the place then yeah..u need em for install!...they are free to rent anyways...just need a deposit...
Old Nov 13, 2003, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

when my friends shot off my springs, it was just a baby shot. it didnt fly out or shoot out or anything, just fell out. i have eibachs, didn't use a compressor either.
Old Nov 13, 2003, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

i didnt use a spring compressor to install my tein springs, you only seem to need it when removing the stock springs. but if you lay the perch on the ground, stand on it with one foot and air gun it, it will maybe have enough strength to pop the top off to the otherside of your garage.
Old Nov 14, 2003, 12:05 AM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I installed Chris' Progress springs last week, and using an airgun without a spring compressor the stock spring flew forward a whopping 6 inches. And putting the Pregress springs back on was easy, a 140 pb guy like me could push them down enough to get the nut threaded on. So you really don't need a spring compressor. Just don't stand in the "line of fire" just in case, but I doubt they will shoot any more than a foot.
Old Nov 14, 2003, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

thanks for the feedback guys. I will attempt without a spring compressor.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Safety would be paramount here guys, and considering the cost of rental is a whopping $5, I would go with using them... I used them on my GTi, and the piece of mind and lack of a stressful situation while tackling a big project was well worth the 5 bucks.....
Old Nov 20, 2003, 12:21 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where do you rent them from? At $5 it wouldn't be a bad idea, although I assure you the spring doesn't even come off the strut when using an impact wrench.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 12:23 PM
Evolving Member

I believe Auto Zone was where I rented them from in Santee, CA (San Diego County).... I understand there is most likely no danger, I have just learned in my profession that safety is most important, and in most cases, a few extra minutes for safety's sake isn't minded by anyone (anyone smart).....
Old Nov 26, 2003, 01:50 AM
In Timeout

I actually went and bought a set of CRAFTSMAN (sears) spring compressors for $39... Ive used them for several car installs (including my own) and they have paid for themselves many times over. Well worth the couple bucks to rent them in my eyes...
Old Nov 26, 2003, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

How long did this install take for you guys that have done it? If I can do it under 2 hours I'd like to do it myself at school, otherwise I'll have a shop do it.
Old Nov 26, 2003, 06:05 PM
Account Disabled

my install with compressors and air tools took about 2.5 hours...prooly coulda done it faster but i have a sustem in my turnk that needed to get out of the way

Quick Reply: do i need "spring compressors" for progress spring install?