Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Ran over a curb

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2011, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ran over a curb

I just ran over a curb on accident of course. It sticks way to far almost into the intersection and I didn't see it.

My alignment is knocked off and the driver side tire now has a huge bulge on the side. the car had a slight rattle when I turned the radio down to hear anything. i don't know if the rattle was from my car or the person in the other lane. I rolled the window down and didn't hear anything.

My question is what do i need to do now and what else could be wrong? I was going maybe 15mph (if that).

The car is a 2009 Lancer and still under warranty but I know if I told Mitsu that I ran over a curb they wouldn't fix it. Anyways what should I do?
Old Jan 4, 2011, 06:01 PM

ouch!
Old Jan 4, 2011, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

I would get it up on a lift and check everything out, and you will need a new tire if the bulge is bad and sounds like an alignment.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 06:13 PM

Thanks.
I'm gonna take it in tomorrow and see what they tell me and try to rip me off for.

My steering wheel is pointing to 2 o clock when it should be at 12 when the tires are pointed straight ahead
Old Jan 4, 2011, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

^ That's not good haha. Make sure your spare is okay just in case the bulge decides to break. I had a friend who slid his Evo in the snow and cracked the knuckle after hitting a curb, so check everything behind the wheel.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by jrdnjstn
Thanks.
I'm gonna take it in tomorrow and see what they tell me and try to rip me off for.

My steering wheel is pointing to 2 o clock when it should be at 12 when the tires are pointed straight ahead
Yeah, that's a pretty serious alignment issue. Get it checked immediately, especially if there's a bulge in the tire like you say there is.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 06:13 PM

Changed out the tire. Tomorrow it goes in to fix the alignment. The steering wheel is at 1 o clock not 2 o clock but I'm sure that makes no difference. Taking it in to a mechanic I used to date (im female, lol not a guy) anyways I hope I can trust him

Hopefully nothing else is wrong.
Old Jan 11, 2011, 08:41 AM

The mechanic said my inner and outer tie rod is bent. They also said that they don't have the correct tool to fix it because once they do the sensors have to "re-learn" everything and without the right tool it could become inoperable? Anyone heard of that. They said to just take it to the dealer which the dealer is going to charge me an outrageous amount
Old Jan 28, 2011, 04:22 AM

If the tie rods are bent bad enough to cause your wheel to be at 1 o'clock when it should be centered, then I'm not sure that bending them back is a good idea. I agree the dealer will probably be expensive, but it's better to get it fixed now. At any moment one of those tie rods could fail, which would result in that tire being completely disconnected from your steering wheel. Around town, that's hugely inconvenient (and damaging). On the highway, you'd be lucky not to roll your car.

Check with your insurance if you can't afford the repairs outright. It's possible they may help you out (after the deductible of course). Just say you hit a really big pothole or something.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Lost Viking
If the tie rods are bent bad enough to cause your wheel to be at 1 o'clock when it should be centered, then I'm not sure that bending them back is a good idea. I agree the dealer will probably be expensive, but it's better to get it fixed now. At any moment one of those tie rods could fail, which would result in that tire being completely disconnected from your steering wheel. Around town, that's hugely inconvenient (and damaging). On the highway, you'd be lucky not to roll your car.

Check with your insurance if you can't afford the repairs outright. It's possible they may help you out (after the deductible of course). Just say you hit a really big pothole or something.
Thanks for the info!