Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Spring suggestions to go with Kyb Gr2s

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2011, 06:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Spring suggestions to go with Kyb Gr2s

I have a 02 lancer OZ rally with about 125k on it. My stock suspensions seem to have blow off.. My ride seems too bouncy and soft and so am looking to replace them with Kyb Gr2s. I dont want to spend huge amounts to get myself coilovers. I use my car as a daily driver though I drive hard at times. I dont plan on using it for any autocross event.

So coming to the question now; what springs would go with the Kybs? I dont want a very low ride nor do I want my suspensions to blow out prematurely. Would it be okay to continue using my stock springs? If I would like to lower it slightly, what springs should I use to keep my ride quality good and not blow my suspensions either.

Thanks.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 09:13 AM

You'll be fine with stock springs, or if you want a little lower, go with Eibach springs, I think it's 1.3" lower, so it's not too low, looks almost stock. Anytime you lower your car, the comfort takes a hit, so take that into consideration.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 10:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I LOVE my Tein Springs just a light drop and the handling has increased tremendously.
Old Apr 9, 2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by syntax182
You'll be fine with stock springs, or if you want a little lower, go with Eibach springs, I think it's 1.3" lower, so it's not too low, looks almost stock. Anytime you lower your car, the comfort takes a hit, so take that into consideration.
How significant would the discomfort be? I know it is more of a personal perception, but compared to normal ride, would it be bearable or would it be quite harsh?
Old Apr 9, 2011, 05:29 PM

I had S-Techs maybe a year ago, and they were pretty comfy for me, I went back to stock and sold the springs. Not that they were bad, they were great. I was gonna sell the OZ because I was gonna buy a b13 se-r, but then decided I would just keep it and go turbo. Now I'm saving up for coilovers. In VA they got pretty good roads, so I guess depends on where you live at.

In fact, I would suggest the Tein S-Techs as well. The lancer looks pretty good with them and the handling is significantly improved from stock.

Last edited by syntax182; Apr 9, 2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 10:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The GR2's are designed as an oe replacement that's 10% stiffer than the stock shocks to compensate for oe spring rate loss, due to the cars age/mileage. Really should not be used with lowering springs as the ride will suffer quite a bit. KYB won't warranty them if used with lowering springs either.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 12:38 PM

Yeah, if you want longevity, either stock set up, or coilovers. There's no aftermarket struts for the 02-03 Lancer that you could pair up with lowering springs to make them last longer. The GR2's are OE replacements.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 12:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.
The GR2's are designed as an oe replacement that's 10% stiffer than the stock shocks to compensate for oe spring rate loss, due to the cars age/mileage. Really should not be used with lowering springs as the ride will suffer quite a bit. KYB won't warranty them if used with lowering springs either.
Ya I have heard those shocks with the S-techs make for a really bumpy and uncomfortable ride. With my stock shocks though it makes for a mint ride and yes I know my stock shocks wont last long like this, no big for me.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Neal@tirerack.
So based on your suggestions, I should leave the stock springs on and pair them with the Kyb's since I do not plan on investing in going the coilover route...
Old Apr 14, 2011, 08:34 PM

Yup, sounds like the best option for you. Stock springs + GR2's.