Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

All season performance, any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2011, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All season performance, any suggestions?

Yo!

So, the mod bug has been put on hold until i get some tires. I have had the car for a month and i've experienced the full range of awesomeness with the stock dunlops. I live in MI (lots of snow and ice 5 months of the year) and to keep costs low i would like to get one set of all seasons that will give me the fun summer grip i want and be safe enough as a daily driver in the winter (cautiously).

Can anyone recommend anything? i have a few things im eying now i wanna see if anyone brings them up. Thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2011, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

I have goodyear eagles all season but to tell u the truth i was getting some awesome grip on pavement as well as on snow with my previous toyo proxea "summer"
Old Apr 13, 2011, 08:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by unkSauce
Yo!

So, the mod bug has been put on hold until i get some tires. I have had the car for a month and i've experienced the full range of awesomeness with the stock dunlops. I live in MI (lots of snow and ice 5 months of the year) and to keep costs low i would like to get one set of all seasons that will give me the fun summer grip i want and be safe enough as a daily driver in the winter (cautiously).

Can anyone recommend anything? i have a few things im eying now i wanna see if anyone brings them up. Thanks!
UnkSauce, I think once you switch up to better tires I think you will realize that the Dunlop SP5000 isnt really a good tire.

If you think the range of grip is good with the SP5000 then I suggest you make a switch to the Continental DW (Summer) or DWS if you want a full range of All Season capability. That said, everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you want a decent all season but still on budget, I would look at the line up from General tire. if you have a little more to spend. go with the DWS.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:04 AM

+1 on the Continentals.

I've had the DW summer tires on the car for a couple weeks now. I can't really comment on anything other than dry grip yet. That said, dry grip is AMAZING. The ride is a little worse than the Blizzaks that were on there (duh), but I don't think it is any worse than the stock Dunlops. Definitely not harsh or objectional in any way...just slightly rougher than winter tires.

My brother's girlfriend has the DWS all seasons on her Mazda 6 and loves them. He's driven it in the snow (they live just south of Madison, WI) and he raved about them. As a bonus, Continental has a tread wear guarantee on them, something like 50,000 miles / 72 months. If they don't last for 50k miles in that time, they will replace them for free.

They aren't the cheapest tires, but I'm pretty impressed with what I've experienced so far.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by evo_soul
UnkSauce, I think once you switch up to better tires I think you will realize that the Dunlop SP5000 isnt really a good tire.

If you think the range of grip is good with the SP5000 then I suggest you make a switch to the Continental DW (Summer) or DWS if you want a full range of All Season capability. That said, everyone is entitled to their opinion. If you want a decent all season but still on budget, I would look at the line up from General tire. if you have a little more to spend. go with the DWS.
My original comment was intended to be sarcastic, lol. I do appreciate your opinion, i think the DWS looks great and it seems to fit into my budget much better than the Bridgestone set i was looking at. Thanks alot!
Old Apr 15, 2011, 03:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My original comment was intended to be sarcastic, lol. I do appreciate your opinion, i think the DWS looks great and it seems to fit into my budget much better than the Bridgestone set i was looking at. Thanks alot!
forgive me. thought you were serious about those tires lol
Old Apr 15, 2011, 07:35 PM

What are the odds, just drove over a screw. Looks like im getting new tires afterall
Old Apr 17, 2011, 02:12 PM

Another vote for the Conti Ex Cont DWS

They are a little tough to find in the stock size though. At least they were for me. They were worth the search and the wait though.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:12 AM

Gotta love discount tire. They drove 180 miles in one day to pic a set up across the state and had em on my car in about 5 hours after i came in.

I'm loving the DWS! it was rainy the afternoon i got em and i had some serious fun! held doing 60 on some really wet and twisty roads!
Old Apr 22, 2011, 10:18 PM

Nitto Neo Gens?
Old Apr 23, 2011, 04:44 AM

Gotta love discount tire. They drove 180 miles in one day to pic a set up across the state and had em on my car in about 5 hours after i came in.

I'm loving the DWS! it was rainy the afternoon i got em and i had some serious fun! held doing 60 on some really wet and twisty roads!

Glad you like them.
Old May 6, 2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Inameng
Nitto Neo Gens?

I have Nitto Neo Gen All seasons on. The dry road ride is superb and almost impossible to spin out on Lancer GTS with its 225/40 18"

Wet is also a bit better than the dunlops but not as super sticky as dry condition.

Wear rating of 280, will see how long they last.
Attached Thumbnails All season performance, any suggestions?-06052011183.jpg  

Last edited by timereaper; May 6, 2011 at 12:58 PM.