Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Looking for a summer set

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2011, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a summer set

Hey everyone, I know I don't post much, but I'd like to ask all of yours' opinion.

I'm looking at getting an independant set of wheels for my GTS. They'll be dedicated to autocrossing, and a little bit of street use during the summer. What I'm ultimately looking for is a good tire that will last a good amount of time (2+ years??), but still have good grip.

Contrary to the popular choice, I'm going to move down from 18" to 16" because of the decreased weight, and cost. With regards to that, what sort of loss in stiffness would you think I'd see? Negligible, or huge difference? (Keep in mind the loss of ~ 10-12 lbs total)
The 2 rims I'm looking at are the Kosei K4R (New..?), and the Enkei RPF1's, so I'd like to hear some feedback about what people think of these brands. The Kosei's are 1lb lighter per rim, but I haven't heard much about their quality, where as I've heard lots of good things about Enkei.

Now with regards to tires, I'm looking at tire size 225-50-16, and went been back and forth between R-Comp and Street Tire for a while, but I decided Street tire would be the best for me, because of the huge gap I'd see between all-seasons and R-Comps.
So within the street tires, it's been a no-budge tire between Dunlop Direzza Star-Specs and the Hankook RS-3's. What do you think about both tires?

Sorry for the long read.. This is just a big decision that I've been putting a lot of thought into, and I'd really like the community's opinion on my options.

TLDR???
I'd like your opinion:

Rims:
Enkei RPF1
Kosei K4R

Tires:
Direzza Star-spec
Hankook RS-3

Thanks for any sort of opinions put forward.

Last edited by gik0geck0; Nov 6, 2011 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Wrong sidewall ratio -- actually 50%, not 55%
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:13 PM

So, what? No one has any experience with any of these? At all?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 03:16 PM
Balls of Steel

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm about to replace the tires that came on the car (they're not happy with 42K on them!), and I'm reeeeeeally heavily considering the Star Specs. We had them on a LeMons car and they just wouldn't die. They're supposed to be good in the rain, too, but we haven't exactly had any of that where I live, so I wouldn't know.

I haven't had any experience with them or any of the others on this car, though. The LeMons car was a VW Type 3. All I know is that the unhappy OEM tires have got to go...pretty soon. Err, when I get un-lazy and finally place a dang order.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:29 AM

Hey, thanks for your input. Since quite a few people say the StarSpecs last a long time, I might go with them. And maybe when they do die, I'll switch to RS-3's, so I can compare them. We'll see though.
Thanks for your input!
Old Nov 13, 2011, 11:47 AM
Balls of Steel

Now that I think of it, I'm fairly certain that the RS-3 was the tire that one of my friends ran at ChumpCar. They were complaining about them getting greasy feeling at the end of the day, but that was after a whole day enduro, soooooo... I haven't run a car with them myself, though.

Either way, I am envying the crap out of the idea of 16s right now. Curse you, 18" rims!
Old Nov 14, 2011, 09:21 PM

Despite looking better, larger rims really aren't that great. Theyre heavy, and almost twice as expensive. So I feel that the "downgrade" is well justified. And from what ive read elsewhere, people say the StarSpecs get greasey. Theres just so much back and forth with these tires!

Though off topic, was that LeMons race part of 24 hours of lemons? Cuz me and a couple other people are going to try and enter the colorado race with an 82 bmw 528e we just picked up. Id lovd to hear any advice you can share. That might be better suited to a pm though.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 06:56 AM
Balls of Steel

Yep. 24 Hours of LeMons in Houston. 'Twas fun.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 03:09 PM

My wheels just came in today. 225/50/16 Direzza Star Specs on Kosei K4R's 16x6.5"

Here's what they look like:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73175787@N02/6603092407/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73175787@N02/6603091793/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/73175787@N02/6603091259/
Old Dec 31, 2011, 04:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just a rule of thumb, larger rims weigh more but with that you get increased sidewall stiffness (due to the reduced amount of sidewall) which leads to better turn in response. Plus they look nice. With autoX, it's all about the handling and not so much about the power. Though you'll save 20-40 lbs, you'll lose it in steering response. Track cars don't run larger rims only for appearance GL
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:28 AM

Yah, you're probably right... But I doubt I'll notice it as much as the decrease in price.

For comparison, 16" RPF1s cost 207$ and in 18" they're 266$ each. Then tires go up from 133$ to 179$. While I may have lost 5% or what-not turn-in response, I saved a heck of a lot more money. And when these tires wear out, I'll save again compared to 18". For me, the loss of turn in response is acceptable. It's like at an autocross, I will always accept a passenger. Sure, it's an extra 100-200lbs, but I'm really not THAT good in the first place to be clamoring for small performance boosts. I have a longer way to go in my ability to drive.

Relating to my purchase though, they definitely have a softer ride (because of the decrease to 16"), they're noisier at all speeds, but don't screech or complain like the Conti DWS's I have on the stock rims. I've also notice the drastic increase in grip. The next autocross is on the 14th, so I'll post back then, after I've really tested them out.